It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pat Buchanan: Not Racist, Not Violent, and Not Respected!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Pat Buchanan: Not Racist, Not Violent, and Not Respected!

www.ahherald.com

The strongest, and most common, accusation made against Buchanan is that he is a “White supremacist.” The casual use of such a phrase to describe a man who has an inherently anti-violence platform shows that American's have, in many ways, forgotten the dangers of true racial supremacists. With vile figures like David Duke and Louis Farrakhan (who recently appeared on FOX News) staples of political commentary, it is somewhat sad that Americans continue to accuse Buchanan of being racist.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.huffingtonpost.com
tpmcafe.talkingpointsmem o.com
www.alternet.org

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   
So what do you think? Is Pat a White Supremacist, or is he being wrongfully blacklisted. I dont agree with alot of what he says, but with sotomayers i agree 100%. He isn't racist...he is just stating the obvious; affirmative action got her where she is today. I really don't think that it is right to select positions based on racial politics, and if you watch the video of him on Maddow, he even says that racism against ANYONE is wrong.

www.ahherald.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Pat Buchanan is an important voice in the national political dialog.

He isn't a racist, unless disagreeing with those of other races is racist.

I'd never vote for Buchanan for public office, but his opinions are worthy of consideration.

[edit on 2009/7/23 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 11:20 PM
link   
You know one thing has always puzzled me.

They enacted affirmative action laws, and when a minority gets to a high position and they say it was because of affirmative action, all of a sudden the person who says it say that the person is racist.

Well that is saying that affirmative action is racist, so shouldn't they repeal affirmative action then?

And no Pat Buchanan is not a racist. And quiet honestly they are throwing around the race card so much it is going to be meaningless in just a few months.

It's just like crying wolf, and it is really going to come back and bite them in the butt.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hastobemoretolife
You know one thing has always puzzled me.

They enacted affirmative action laws, and when a minority gets to a high position and they say it was because of affirmative action, all of a sudden the person who says it say that the person is racist.

Well that is saying that affirmative action is racist, so shouldn't they repeal affirmative action then?

And no Pat Buchanan is not a racist. And quiet honestly they are throwing around the race card so much it is going to be meaningless in just a few months.

It's just like crying wolf, and it is really going to come back and bite them in the butt.

If you watch the video...I really give Pat credit for keeping his cool. She kept putting words in his mouth, and claiming he was saying things he didn't. Then she accused him of living in the 1950s. I mean...come on...what happened to respecting opposing opinion. Pat seems professional about politics, while his opponents seem like zealots.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 12:12 AM
link   
If your intention is assert that Buchanan is worthy of respect because he is not racist and not violent, well, unfortunately Mr. Buchanan tries his very hardest to debunk all three assertions in this encounter on Hardball.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Hastobemoretolife

Didn't I just get done explaining Affirmative action to you yesterday?

Did you miss the explanation I gave you?

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Well, i'm gonna call ya'll out on this one. If Pat isn't racist then Rev. Jeremiah Wright isn't racist . And i stand by that statement too...

I've listened to pat quite a few times and listened to what he has to say. he reminds me of that old guy on the 700 club.

As for the affirmative action thing, having white people say that someone got this position because of affirmative action is another sore spot for me. To me it feels like they don't believe other people posses the skills or talent that they do..its sounds like a giant cop out to me..an easy way to hate.

[edit on 24-7-2009 by cenpuppie]

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

No, that wasn't me you were talking too. I don't remember any conversations about affirmative action, this is the first time I've ever said anything about affirmative action.

And affirmative action is to put minorities and women on equal footing so to speak, through economic and social means. By its very nature it is racist, it was needed at the time, but honestly I think we are past that now.

It could also be applied to Sotomayor, the AG, and the Surgeon General. All three in which there hasn't ever been a certain Minority selected for the position.

You could say they were picked based off of their ideologies, which is true, but they were also picked because of their race. We haven't ever had a black AG and Surgeon General, and we haven't ever had a latino supreme court justice.

Out of the three I would argue that Sotomayor is not qualified for the position based off what I heard her say during her confirmation hearing. The AG is qualified experience wise, but ideologically he is not. The Surgeon General being a symbolic position doesn't really matter, but I really don't know much about her.

Picking people based off of their race and ideologies could be considered affirmative action. In a world were we should be treated equally under the law, things are not shaping up to be that way.

As far as Pat Buchanan I highly doubt he is racist, but based off Obama's picks you could say Obama is bringing affirmative action to the upper echelons of government.

[edit on 24-7-2009 by Hastobemoretolife]

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by rnaa

Buchanan is brutally honest most of the time and he takes umbrage at those who insult his nation and who ignore the good this nation has done.

There was nothing in that video that would make Buchanan any of the things he is accused of being.

Buchanan has guts.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 12:50 AM
link   
reply to post by rnaa

So what did he say that made him racist in that video? He stated the facts. The truth hurts.

Holder says people need to open a dialog about race, well there you have it. The title of that video is exactly why people don't talk about it. He states the truth and people call him a racist.

Did you hear what that professor was saying? Social Justice, what white people have done to Native American's, etc.

How come people like the professor don't ever bring up how their own people are committing genocide over in Africa right now. The slave trade is alive and well, it's going on over in Africa right now.

How come he doesn't ever bring up, how the Irish were treated when they immigrated here.

Why should this generation feel sorry for what our ancestors did, it wasn't right, but it happened. People like this professor are the ones that think white people owe them something.

This generation has nothing to do with what happened in the past, if people want to get past the racism thing then people need to buck up and take responsibility for themselves.

That is the cold hard brutal truth. There is just as much opportunity for everyone in this country no matter what your skin color is, all you have to do is work for it.

To re-iterate my point, the reason why there is not a dialog is because when you try to state the facts people automatically throw the race card out.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 01:07 AM
link   

What do you expect? .. Everyone seems to be pandering to the "poor black people getting treated unfairly" mentality..

www.cnn.com... (CNN has been running continuously 'black in America' and supposed racist stories since Obama was elected... )

This is .. aside from the dumbest !@$ article I have ever read, the most blatantly RACIST article..

It seems that, as a minority (though blacks are far more outspoken) if you get treated in a way that doesn't fit how YOU think you should be treated, that person must be a racist!? ..

Just take the "prominent" Harvard prof. that was arrested for acting like an ignorant imbecile... the ending conclusion is the President calls the cop stupid (which the police officer defended himself the next day.. good for him, he called Obama "sad") and the ignorant fool is probably going to get a nice settlement.

I can't pull the race card, even when someone is being racist to me..

I just wish the black community could see how childish and pathetic they look every time they scream "Racism".. and I certainly hope other minority groups don't follow their lead... especially Hispanics, who are mostly half white anyways..

[edit on 7/24/2009 by Rockpuck]

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

I agree. It's sickening, if you go against what is accepted as social norms and then complain about it, don't blame somebody else look in the freaking mirror.

All this crap makes me mad. The PC train needs to be derailed.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 01:14 AM
link   
For someone that's not racist, Pat's said some pretty questionable things in the past.

I don't trust him or ANY pundit for that matter.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 01:21 AM
link   
I dont think Pats a racist but he is certainly ignorant and insensitive to issues of race. It was one thing for Pat to base the entire pick of Sotomayor over the fact of her race, that I can deal with because I hear it time and time again from the broken records on the right. However, the mere fact he made all attempts to discredited the contribution of minorities to this nation, for him to say this nation came to being only by white people, is just unacceptable.

Blacks, hispanics and even native americans in conjunction with whites have all contributed to where this nation is now. The fact he credits all achievements of blacks as being "affirmative action" (gee I didnt know alot of the railways and roads in Alaska were affirmative action jobs) its just not acceptable.

The rightwing always complain about the race card, but I hardly see the difference when they bring up race whenever its some minority in politics, or the fact every achievement and contributions by minorities to this country can only be affirmative action.

Im sure there were other policy arguments Pat could have made about Soto, it didnt have to involve race. If you dont want to see the race card, dont play it.

[edit on 24-7-2009 by Southern Guardian]

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Did you hear what that professor was saying? Social Justice, what white people have done to Native American's, etc.

Yes i did, and i've read quite a few of his books as well. One of the few times i totally agree with him.

The slave trade is alive and well, it's going on over in Africa right now.

Ya it is. "Your people" are doing the same thing, the slave trade is going on in Europe too (the sex slave market) and China (illegal immigration). So what of it?

How come he doesn't ever bring up, how the Irish were treated when they immigrated here

Well, maybe because they immigrated rather than being "forced". But why stop with the irish. Why not the native americans, or the chinese (the guys that connected east coast to west coast), or the discrimination against the japanese during ww2?

Why should this generation feel sorry for what our ancestors did, it wasn't right, but it happened. People like this professor are the ones that think white people owe them something

No no no *laughs* its hilarous how some white folks view this "Black people think white people owe them something" attitude you just don't get it. What your ancestors did has everything to due with what's happening today, just like mine and i think that is the heart of the problem. Some white people (not all) just can't fanthom how the past actions of their forefathers affects what's going on now and it's unfortunately terrible, because the issue will never be resolved.

Why is America the only country in the western world that has the miasma of discrimination hanging over it's head? Not even Europe is this bad, take it from someone who has direct contact with other black people that have travelled abroad.

There is just as much opportunity for everyone in this country no matter what your skin color is, all you have to do is work for it.

I'll agree with that statement in principal, however. There still is a very real racial barrier in this country, and that Good Ol'Boy network is still as strong as ever. Being black in america will open some doors and slam close others..it's the catch 22 of being a black american.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Southern Guardian

Gave you a star, that was a wonderful post. I don't think he's a racist either, just an old white conservative republican..like Rush Limbaugh and Don Imus..no wait Imus is racist in my opinon.

I started laughing when he started tossing around those statistics about race..i was like what the hell does that have to due with the debate..at least use facts to back up your arguments and not conjecture.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

That's another part of the problem. Everytime someone black does say "Racism" white people, most of the time especially on ATS, say it's not, your just playing the race card.

Well guess what the only difference between me and you IS skin color, so what is it then? You know when your being discriminated against, come on.

When there is discrimination against white folks on the ATS, bah nevermind. I'm gettin back to business..discussing race here on the ATS is as frustrating as punching a brick wall and expecting it to move..there are some things people just don't get..and you are one of them.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 01:39 AM
link   
I'm a hardcore liberal hater and I dont like this guy.

I do however agree kinda with the Sotomayer thing. But like I said I only KINDA agree. White people - people ofother races can do everything just as good as you can. No matter how much you think otherwise. None of you can do anything I can't. Some people have skills others dont have but those skills have nothing to do with race. I however dnt like Sotomayer and think shes racist.

But as a black guy I cant say I like Pat Buchanan because he doesnt know anything about blacks. He just knows about stereotypes. Only a small percentage of blacks fit into these dumbass stereotypes people have of us. All of us dont hate the "white man", all of us dont support obama... stuff like that. Its quite the opposite actually.

I'm annoyed by the stereotypical black guy too, because it ruins it for all of us as most of us arent like that. We are good, hardworking people just trying to raise a family, like yall.

I dont like black people that blame everything on white people just as much as you guys. And although Im half white, I'm still black and I grew up in poverty (not saying all blacks live in poverty but I did) and I got up off my ass with hard work and I got outta there and now Im pretty successful and have a great job and support my fam. No one is holdng us back except ourselves.

I've done everything I wanted in life despite the MANY obstacles. But my skin was not one of those obstacles. Sure I've seen racism and racism exists but it only affects you if you let it. No racist has ever and will never stop me from doing what I want.

Probably 2 outta every 10 black folks blames anything on racism. HOWEVER I hope yall know racism does exist, you guys cant deny it. I wish yall would stop thinking you know anything about "the black community" because of a few black people like Jesse Jackson and idiot rappers and people like that who say foolish things. Those guys arent our representatives they dont speak for most of us and a good portion of us dont agree with them. BUT racism does exist, theres no denying it. Its just not as big a obstacle as some make it out to be. No racist has ever stopped me from doing anything all they got was a good punch in the mouth and I kept walking (literally and metaphorically).

Anyways I'm ranting now, lol.

Peace.

[edit on 24-7-2009 by jeasahtheseer]

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 01:49 AM
link   
reply to post by cenpuppie

Yes i did, and i've read quite a few of his books as well. One of the few times i totally agree with him.

I'll answer this a little bit latter on in this post.

Ya it is. "Your people" are doing the same thing, the slave trade is going on in Europe too (the sex slave market) and China (illegal immigration). So what of it?

Exactly, So what of it?

Well, maybe because they immigrated rather than being "forced". But why stop with the irish. Why not the native americans, or the chinese (the guys that connected east coast to west coast), or the discrimination against the japanese during ww2?

What about it? That happened then, it isn't legal to force somebody to come here now. So what is your point?

No no no *laughs* its hilarous how some white folks view this "Black people think white people owe them something" attitude you just don't get it. What your ancestors did has everything to due with what's happening today, just like mine and i think that is the heart of the problem. Some white people (not all) just can't fanthom how the past actions of their forefathers affects what's going on now and it's unfortunately terrible, because the issue will never be resolved.

Yea maybe if people stop being hypocrites by stating things like these(all from what you posted just now):

Uhh huh, try again. There ya go contradicting yourself. So what that is happening around the world right now, But let's talk about what happened over a 125 years ago, and blame the "white man"

Why is America the only country in the western world that has the miasma of discrimination hanging over it's head? Not even Europe is this bad, take it from someone who has direct contact with other black people that have travelled abroad.

Because of people like Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, Louis Farrakhan and others that won't let the issue go. Just like you now, what you said earlier in your post. I'll quote what I said and what you said:

(me)Did you hear what that professor was saying? Social Justice, what white people have done to Native American's, etc.

(you)Yes i did, and i've read quite a few of his books as well. One of the few times i totally agree with him.

You feel that there should be social justice. Social justice for what? Everybody is in the same boat in 2009. Will I deny that racial profiling still exists? No I won't, but at the same time, there is racism going against white people, and everybody else.

I'll agree with that statement in principal, however. There still is a very real racial barrier in this country, and that Good Ol'Boy network is still as strong as ever. Being black in america will open some doors and slam close others..it's the catch 22 of being a black american.

It's the same way with everybody else. The difference is the media only reports on one side of the issue.

The fact of the matter is, the only way the issue is going to get resolved is to look yourself(not you personally) in the mirror and get on with life and quit dwelling in the past on issues that are still prevalent today that happens to people of all races.

You want equality then people need to start acting like they want equality, and quit saying stuff like we need social justice and the likes. Because Social Justice is an oxymoron. To legislate social justice you are doing other people an injustice.

Let bygones be bygones. And get on with life because the people that did what they did in this country are long dead and gone. This is the 21st century not the 19th century.

[edit on 24-7-2009 by Hastobemoretolife]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join