It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your Thought's Live Forever

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   
When we die, I dont believe a switch is turned off and thats it.

Here is my reasoning for this.
Atom's never die, and our thought's are some kind of atom right?

Doesnt that mean we live on?

How can something just disapear as if it never exsisted?

The spirit lives on, imo.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 09:23 PM
link   
yeah i always had a sort of problem myself with the whole, being born, then one day disappearing forever. I mean not my body, but my consciousness, i find it really rude that one day it will just be *poof* out like a light.

I have problems with that. But observations in reality tells us that's how it goes. I think we won't know for sure until we go. Perhaps we are reincarnated, like recycled, into another body, eventually or soon after. Or maybe our thought process can jump out when we die, and like inhabit a nearby tree or something, or whatever, be free to float around and think in other mediums. Maybe our consciousness can jump into other things, how cool would that be.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 11:33 PM
link   
After thinking about this for quite some time I have come to the conclusion that we do go on in another form, though I don't know what it is.

It has become clear to me now, and it will probably become cloudy before long and then clear again, that because of the existence of the Universe - and by extension, us - we will go on forever, or until the end of the Universe.

It seems obvious that the Universe is trying to do something. Manifesting particles into planets and balls of gas, as well as many, many other things. Consciousness seems to be a priority of the Universe. Consciousness has manifested itself, through many millions of years of evolution, into an intelligent being. The knowledge that is gained through our experiences in consciousness and recorded via memories seems to be a type of hard drive for the Universe.

It seems like the Universe is trying to experience more of itself than just being there. It seems to want to understand itself. It does this through us. One question I would love to have answered is "Does the Universe receive our thoughts, as well as all the other thoughts living beings have, simultaneously or are our thoughts our own singularly?" If they are our own to have while we are here, then why be here at all?

Maybe we are a primitive attempt by the Universe to achieve something more. This all seems to play out in progression and we have no idea what place we hold in the order of things. Are we just starting in the Universe or are we toward the end? Who knows, but I don't know who.

The fact that we are here independently represents our connection with the Universe and everything else in it. No matter what we learn or are told, we are 100% a product of the Universe. We came from the Universe and we will go back to it. Our thoughts are a product of the same Universe, as is our consciousness, and we both will return to the Universe.

It doesn't own us, it is us. No matter what, our existence here now, and our knowledge of it, means that we are 100% part of this Universe and always will be. The comforting part of that is the fact that the Universe obviously manifests consciousness and we are a form of the manifestation here. It is exciting to be a part of that and to be blessed with that knowledge. We can derive from that that we will go on, as does the Universe and we will be with it until the end.

I think the question that frightens most people isn't whether we go on or not, but is the uncertainty of remembering our past experiences in different lifes as different life forms.

If we were to remember even just one of our previous lifes it would make everything so much more complicated, but maybe somewhere in the Universe this is standard practice. Maybe somewhere the laws as we know them are a bit different and so are the things that exist within them. Maybe one day we will live in a place like that and will be blessed with the knowledge of our life here, now, and all the other ones we may have already lived and the ones we may live.

Knowing we are here now allows us the comfort to know that we do exist, we are a part of the big picture - no matter how small we seem individually or as a whole - and we will continue to be a part of the big picture, because we are here now.

Sorry for such a long post. Like I said it seems clear to me now, but I am sure it will become cloudy before it becomes clear again.

Edit for grammar

[edit on 23-7-2009 by esteay812]

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   
You know what the problem is with this? Before I continue I would like to say that I agree with you (though not in a religious sense, not that you have referred to religion) totally as I cannot see how everything can just die completely.
The problem is that you need to die to find out really and that is just not on because you won't be able to tell anyone. People that do die often have no memory as far as I know. If I could die, knowing that i could be brought back to life, I would do it. Well, as long as Herbert West isn't incharge of bringing me back!

Ramadwarf on the downside to life

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by earth2
When we die, I dont believe a switch is turned off and thats it.

Here is my reasoning for this.
Atom's never die, and our thought's are some kind of atom right?

Doesnt that mean we live on?

How can something just disapear as if it never exsisted?

The spirit lives on, imo.

The only problem with your theory is our thoughts are not some kind of atom. Rather, our thoughts are made up of many different chemical interactions, with each chemical interaction made of many different atoms.

When those chemical interaction break down (after death) our thoughts break down with them.

That's like saying all the different kinds of atoms that comprise an "apple" still continued to be an apple even years after it fell to the ground and rotted away and that apple's atoms were scattered by nature.

Those atoms still exist (somewhere), but they are no longer an "apple".

I'm not saying there necessarily is no soul or no life after death. That's not the point of this post. The point is that our thoughts are not locked away in single atoms.

[edit on 7/28/2009 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by earth2

I like your reasoning. It makes sense compared to what we already know about the universe, life and death. It is comforting to think that our thoughts live on after our husk becomes useless.

This is a very interesting thread and I hope it grows. S&F.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I intend to live forever.

Through my various works.
Through my children.
Through all the things i leave on this planet once im gone.

You and I are gonna live forever......

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People

The only problem with your theory is our thoughts are not some kind of atom. Rather, our thoughts are made up of many different chemical interactions, with each chemical interaction made of many different atoms.

When those chemical interaction break down (after death) our thoughts break down with them.

That's like saying all the different kinds of atoms that comprise an "apple" still continued to be an apple even years after it fell to the ground and rotted away and that apple's atoms were scattered by nature.

Those atoms still exist (somewhere), but they are no longer an "apple".

[edit on 7/28/2009 by Soylent Green Is People]

Ok, so are thought's are now scattered about.

That still doesnt explain how something can just disappear?

Let's just say an alien zapped Earth and everything was gone, just turn to carbon. Would all of our thought's just disappear?

They say one Atom has enough energy to cause a big bang so who know's.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by earth2
Ok, so are thought's are now scattered about.

That still doesnt explain how something can just disappear?

Let's just say an alien zapped Earth and everything was gone, just turn to carbon. Would all of our thought's just disappear?

They say one Atom has enough energy to cause a big bang so who know's.

No. Our thoughts would NOT be scattered about in each atom. One atom does not hold thoughts. As I said, thoughts are created through chemical reactions, they are not "stored" in an atom, nor are they "stored" in these chemicals -- thoughts are made by the reactions between chemcals, not the chemicals themselves.

A single thought is stored in many cells which are made of billions of individual atoms comprising millions of molecules of chemical neurotransmitters. When these cells die and the chemical reactions cease, the physical memory/thought is destroyed forever, even though the chemicals and atoms still exist.

So if the Earth and its living things were zapped in a way that all of their component atoms because "free floating" and separate, then YES, our physical thoughts would disappear.

I'm not arguing against or for the existence of a "human spirit", I'm just talking about the physiology of thoughts.

...and when you say "a big bang", I assume you mean a "large explosion", not "THE BIG BANG" that's talked about in theories describing the creation of the universe. There is enough energy in one atom to make a large explosion, but not anything near the "Big Bang".

One atom contains amounts of energy in accordance with Einstein's famous equation:
e=mc^2

where:
e = energy
m= mass
c = the speed of light

...so the energy locked away in one atom is dependent on its mass (the "m" part of that equation) -- the heavier the atom, the more energy. Nuclear bombs turn atoms into energy.

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   
thoughts are no more material or everlasting than the information encoded by the manipulation of electrons in a computer. they are not 'made of atoms'. they aren't really 'made of' anything; they're differences in electric potential and neurotransmitter chemical concentrations passed around a complex mechanism not unlike the transistors on a microchip.

even the measurable waves transmitted by the brain's electric activity are quickly dissipated in or absorbed by the local environment.

when we die, we stop processing information forever, and experience nothing, as the requisite apparatus for doing so has ceased to function.

it sucks, but that's how it works.

if you want to do something about it, go into biotechnology, and build a machine capable of sustaining the life of a human brain outside a biological body, or a computer capable of recognizing, processing, and storing the human brain's proprietary data formatting as usable information. until we have one of those two things, we're stuck on the meat train to mortality city, population everyone.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Parallelogram
even the measurable waves transmitted by the brain's electric activity are quickly dissipated in or absorbed by the local environment.

Absorbed by the local environment, thats interesting. Doesnt prove they disappear though does it? What are they absorbed into? Because nothing can just disappear, right?

And by the way I heard a physicist say that there IS enough energy in the space between the electron and the nucleus of an Atom to create a big bang.

What about parallel universe, string, m and other theory's.

Our thought's not only may live forever they may have alway's been here.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 01:10 AM
link   
No-one finds it highly disturbing that thoughts (say for the sake of argument) might continue to exist ?

The thoughts of the sexually frustrated paedophile, for existence, as he sits festering in his cell, reliving the rapes, tortures and murders of his victims (as I've read is quite common) ?

The thoughts of the person who's learned their partner has been unfaithful, followed by dozens of hours of plotting, fantasising about he/she would like to kill the unfaithful spouse and his/her new love?

The thoughts of the sadist, as he/she fantasises about all the horrendously painful atrocities they'd like to inflict on animals, babies ?

You'd like to think all the above and worse thoughts will continue to exist in order to believe your own thoughts/fantasies/daydreams etc. will also exist ?

Well not me. I don't hope so at all

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by earth2

poor choice of words on my part. I meant something more like "absorbed, and nullified", as in, the waveforms are rendered unrecognizable.

and we stay dead.

new topics

top topics

join