It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man arrested with toy gun

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Man arrested with toy gun

www.news.com.au

A SYDNEY man has been arrested for carrying a toy cap gun into an eastern suburbs shopping centre, after police were called by alarmed passers-by.

Police were first alerted to the man and his gun at 4pm (AEST) today, when a member of the public called to say he had been seen walking towards Westfield's Eastgardens Shopping Centre in Pagewood, carrying the handgun.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Police arrested him at the scene, and say they found a toy cap gun in his possession.

News stories like this annoy me. It doesn't surprise me that it's straight out of NSW either.

I'd like some more information on the story, to know exactly what he was doing with his 'offensive implement'.

Is society that fragile that a man carrying a toy gun needs to be arrested?

I don't get it. The fear that some people generate within themselves shows them up for being the helpless people that they are.

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Probably a result of the same "zero tolerance" nonsense that gets scouts expelled from school for leaving their pocket knife in their packs or little girls strip searched for having an aspirin.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

It's that and people being overly sensitive to and always looking out for terrorists and/or people thinking that everything and anything that looks like a weapon has to do with terrorism therefore, everyone is a terrorist.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 09:16 AM
link   
So they realize it is not real, and send him on his way, but only after charging him with an offensive impliment in a public place? Damn, how screwed up are you guys over there that a toy not only gets you arrested, but charged even when they find out it's a toy?

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Finn1916offensive impliment in a public place

What's not an "offensive implement"?

If some big angry dude came walking by I'm sure some paranoid sole would be "offended" by his simple existence. Klansmen are offended by blacks and vice versa.

Seems like with a quality term as "offensive implement" everything anyone ones can be confiscated and all of us could end up in prison.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Well in that case, "Yay bad food and sodomy for everyone" When did we as a species become such wusses? When did we roll over and worry more about how people feel than what is right?

I mean, I'm pretty liberal, but I still have a pair, and I refuse to back down when I am right simply because someone else is sad at the things I am saying.

This experiment called life has failed miserably.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 09:29 AM
link   
If you decide to carry a replica then you more or less must understand that if someone see's you they will call the police. After all, how would the public know if its a cap gun or a real one.

To even think about walking into a public area is just beginning for trouble.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by tristar

Since when has a cap gun been a replica? Maybe a pellet gun or an airsoft gun but a cap gun? That's like calling one of those spaceship looking orange squirt guns a replica.

Although I recall a story a while back where Australia was "cracking down" on look-alike toy guns so maybe in their "no touchy" ban society they have created cap guns to look like the real thing since they cant get the real thing without resorting to crime.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Probably a result of the same "zero tolerance" nonsense that gets scouts expelled from school for leaving their pocket knife in their packs or little girls strip searched for having an aspirin.

I was suspended in the third grade for having a pocket knife in school from fishing with my dad the day before. The worst part is that I found the knife myself and got so scared that I turned it in to the teacher... and they still suspended a scared eight year old boy.

I haven't thought about that in years (I'm 22 now).

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Lucky he didn't do it in the USA.

He'd be shot by some wannabe hero who saw too many action movies.

[edit on 24/7/09 by Chadwickus]

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Why would he have? He just had it on his person. He wasnt brandishing it wildly, making threats or taking aim at anyone. People walk around where I am all the time with firearms on their hips and not once has anyone jumped out and shot one of them. If they had it would have been without cause and a definite murder charge unless of course some hostile action had been taken warranting defense.

I get that you obviously have some misplaced gripe and felt it necessary to state some "point" but your premise has no merit making your "point" based on ignorance thereby negating the value of your gripe.

Speak in facts. Not in assumptions.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Speak in facts. Not in assumptions.

You're assuming he wasn't brandishing it around.

We really don't know what he was doing with it, nor do we know what he planned to do with it.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Yup, you got me. The article says "carrying" and when I think carrying of a firearm I assume holstered but he very well could have been walking around with it in his hand.

That behavior most likely would have ended up in a confrontation depending on other circumstances.

Fell on my own sword there.

As for what he planned to do with it, unless you're some thought-crime fascist it really doesnt matter what he planned. Until a crime is committed there is no crime. Maybe thought is a crime in Aus, I dont know.

[edit on 24-7-2009 by thisguyrighthere]

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by ninecrimes

I was suspended in the third grade for having a pocket knife in school from fishing with my dad the day before. The worst part is that I found the knife myself and got so scared that I turned it in to the teacher... and they still suspended a scared eight year old boy.

I haven't thought about that in years (I'm 22 now).

Schools have to be a little more cautious because they are dealing with the lives of children there. I am sure the gave you the suspension, even though you came forward, in order to teach you a lesson.

A similar thing happened to me in 5th grade; I was a bit of a geek in elementary school and hung around the “cool” kids. One of them pulls out a tiny little Swiss army knife, the kind you find on a keychain, bragging how he has a knife. I remembered that I still had my fishing pocket knife in my coat, so, in Crocodile Dundee fashion, I say “that is not a knife, this is a knife”, and take out my knife, very much bigger than his, and he goes and tells the teacher that I have a knife, we both got suspended and our knives taken away. I am 35 now so it has been a long time since that story came out. In this instance the school was well within their rights to do this.

Back OT now, I do believe that people are over sensitive, but if someone saw someone with a weapon, did nothing and then something happened, that person would feel horrible. There are cap guns that do look like replicas, well at least there were when I was a kid, I even had a couple of them.

I own a coupe of Air Soft and other BB guns, but would not even think about having them in a public place even if holstered, and even if I had a real gun with a permit, I doubt I would walk around with it even if it was holstered either, just because of trying to avoid an incident like this.

[edit on 7/24/2009 by AlienCarnage]

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
We really don't know what he was doing with it, nor do we know what he planned to do with it.

It's a toy cap gun. What do you think that he was going to do with it?

Start a race... ready, set, go! Bang!

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

Ready, set, go indeed...

Google news search for "toy gun"

[edit on 24/7/09 by Chadwickus]

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Excuse me, but am I missing something here, or are you all just ignoring that it is disruptive to a society to have even reasonable facsimiles of weapons which can kill being on display while you are walking around in a civil environment?

Listen...

Someone takes out a TOY gun that looks like a REAL gun in a public place, in a mall, at a fair, etc... he is liable to get SHOT by someone who has a real gun and has the balls to protect his fellow citizens from all of these mass shootings we hear about...

join