It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Recent earthquake moved New Zealand closer to Australia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 04:31 AM
link   
This is news that earthquakes can move land masses closer to each other. A 7.8 earthquake can move it 12 inches then I am wondering if this happens elsewhere then maybe islands or countries may get wiped out. Possibly a landmass will move into another landmass after an earthquake and we might see people not only getting killed but also losing the land they own. We need to somehow control these earthquakes (like there is technology to control hurricanes) otherwise we would see nature and humans affected by this fury of nature itself

A massive 7.8 magnitude earthquake last week has moved the south of New Zealand closer to Australia, scientists said Wednesday.

With the countries separated by the 2,250-kilometre-wide (1,400-mile-wide) Tasman Sea, the 30 centimetre (12 inch) closing of the gap in New Zealand's southwest won't make much difference.
But earthquake scientist Ken Gledhill of GNS Science said the shift illustrated the huge force of the tremor, the biggest in the world so far this year.

"Basically, New Zealand just got a little bit bigger is another way to think about it

Source: www.breitbart.com...

[edit on 23-7-2009 by sunny_2008ny]

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 04:53 AM
link   
reply to post by sunny_2008ny

Erm, you do know land is constantly shifting all the time don't you?

The Himalayas are a good example of this.

New Zealand has been moving closer to Australia for a long time, this earthquake just sped up the process.

Some reading: Plate Techtonics

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 04:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

New Zealand has been moving closer to Australia for a long time, this earthquake just sped up the process.

I know about the Himalayas but did not know about NZ and Oz. So in a million years, Oz and NZ will collide? I wonder what effect it will have for the two countries.

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 05:25 AM
link   
Why can't we here in the UK have an earthquake to move us AWAY from France?

Come on Mother Nature, I'm sure the French would love us further away as well.

[edit on 23/7/09 by DataWraith]

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 05:39 AM
link   
reply to post by DataWraith

Why can't we here in the UK have an earthquake to move us AWAY from France?

If there is one in English channel then neither us nor the French would live after the separation

posted on Jul, 23 2009 @ 05:58 AM
link   
This story already being discussed here: Massive New Zealand quake moves country west

new topics

top topics

join