It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama: "Cambridge Police acted stupidly". What??

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by jerico65

Originally posted by harvib
I didn't see anything in there that makes mention of legislation allowing Law Enforcement to enter your home without a warrant or exigent circumstances.

Probably because it didn't have anything to do with that; it was about disorderly conduct.

LOL. Agreed. However here is what I was responding too.

Originally posted by jerico65

Originally posted by imsuchaniceguy

Originally posted by amyfriend
yes,,you can be arrested in your own home for vulgerly insulting a police officer in which he did,,,!!!!

Really? Care to back that up with something? Anything? Maybe in some asian country you hail from but this happend in the U.S. That is not true in any sense of the words you used.

I will tell you what I have to keep telling you dittoheads -

Back up what you are saying with some proof. Where is that law? You can look up any law you want on this thing called the internet. Find me that one or sit down and be quiet for a bit.

This is the Boston Criminal Lawyer Blog.

www.bostoncriminallawyerblog.com...

It talks about "disorderly conduct". And if you took a minute and did a search, you'd come up with many more hits on MA law and disorderly conduct.

Someone made the erroneous statement that you could be arrested in your own home for insulting a police officer. Another individual came along challenging the poster to present proof of such legislation. You then came along and presented a link to a blog telling the challenger to "take a minute and do a search".

I am stating that this blog does not support the original posters assertion that an individual may be arrested for insulting a police officer in his home.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 08:51 PM
link   
This is just my opinion on this current mess.

1. Just from what I've read, it is undertandable the guy was upset. But, he probably made more noise about it than was necessary at the time of the event. Probably not the best course of action.

2. The cop has "officer discretion". He can choose to arrest or not to arrest. Espcially for minor things. He could have just turned and walked away after confirming the guy was the homeowner. Disorderly Conduct can be "catch all" charge cops use if they want to arrest someone and can't figure out what else to charge them with. So they charge them with "making a scene" basically. The cop was probably pissed at being yelled and arrested the guy. He could have walked away but chose to arrest the guy. Probably not the best course of action.

3. Distinguished Ivy League Professors as a rule hate to admit they can be wrong. Again not the best thing

4. Cops tend to hind behind the "Blue Wall" and go to great lengths to deny any wrong doing no mater what. Again, not a good thing to do.

5. We all know politicians would usually rather do anything than admit they could be wrong. Guess what? That isn't good either.

So what do we have here - a great big steaming pile of "wrongs" by All parties involved.

I guess its true that multiple wrongs don't make a right. I honestly feel everyone involved in this shares a bit of blame in the mess its become.

The best action would for everyone to admit where they screwed up (because they all did) For Gates to say, "Yeah - I was angry but I shouldn't have made so much noise at the scene". The cop to say, "Yeah - I should have understood and walked away". Obama to say, "Yeah - I should have kept my mouth shut on this."

But that ain't likely to happen.

[edit on 24-7-2009 by Frogs]

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by harvib

I dug up that Boston Criminal Lawyer Blog for the Disorderly Conduct info; because that's probably what someone would get charged with if he was mouthing off to a cop in his own house.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by jerico65

Understood, but you cannot lawfully be arrested in your own home for insulting a police officer, which is what many have erroneously claimed.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by harvib
Understood, but you cannot lawfully be arrested in your own home for insulting a police officer, which is what many have erroneously claimed.

You're yanking me! You mean you can call a cop a pig, or say that you smell bacon, but as long as you're in your own home, you can get away with it?

What about my toolshed? Is that considered my home? (just trying to inject some humor).

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by imsuchaniceguy

hi

im not a law student,,,

maybe you should take it up with the police dept who arrested him,,,,
even a black officer on the force there said he woulda done the same a 100%,,,,

more than obvious the whole department (blacks and whites) are back the officer,,,

so maybe you should persue this and study the link you posted and not me.

Im not the one who was arrested and acted like an idiot...

and obama woulda said HEY,,,,thats an illegal charge,,,
and as well the department,,,they woulda canned his behind within 24 hours...

so you got the figuring out to do,,,not me...

I posted what I thought here and then you turn around and insult me/others on your opinions...

no huggs for you!

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by harvib

,,,sorry I was wronge stating that,,,,I do apologize....

im not a law student,,,,,smile...

are insulting and dissorderly conduct both the same???

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

your right frogs,,,,!!!

as i posted ,,,it would be good if both parties had a beer and shook hands and took obama up on the beer offer in the whitehouse...,,,

we can all dissagree but its best if we reason together and try,,,

sometimes theres no right or wrong answers and can be many answers in sovling problems..

yelling and being insulting doesnt work to good...

well,,,gates is ok and obama did call the cop,,,

its kinda a pickle on how people reason at times with eacthother..

huggs everyone

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   

You're yanking me! You mean you can call a cop a pig, or say that you smell bacon, but as long as you're in your own home, you can get away with it?

What about my toolshed? Is that considered my home? (just trying to inject some humor).

LOL. I think you are yanking me. But just in case here goes.

A police officer cannot enter your home without a warrant unless there are exigent circumstances. Exigent Circumstances would be if there was a reasonable belief of someone being in imminent danger, destruction of evidence, or a suspect that would otherwise escape.

Other then that the police are not able to enter your home unless you invite them in. And would certainly not be able to arrest you for disorderly conduct.

This is the reason that law enforcement will almost always ask individuals to talk to them outside. They are removing you from your jurisdiction to theirs.

In reality, however, a person that stood on there property insulting police officer might quickly find out how easy it is for that police officer to state that they were being threatened and believed to be in imminent danger. This would be an unlawful arrest and would involve falsification on law enforcements part, but it happens every day.

And this is exactly what we are seeing in this case. Two very different stories. One side makes the arrest justifiable, the other makes the arrest completely unlawful.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by amyfriend

,,,sorry I was wronge stating that,,,,I do apologize....

No apology necessary.

are insulting and dissorderly conduct both the same???

Disorderly conduct is a vague term. Generally disorderly conduct offenses would be disturbing the peace, public intoxication, or even vulgar or offensive language.

So although insulting a police officer isn't necessarily disorderly conduct it will almost certainly get you charged with it.

However these type of charges are, in my opinion, in direct opposition to the First Amendment.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by imsuchaniceguy

So, in your opinion, the cop should have just looked at Gate's Harvard ID (which has no address info on it) and just left the scene?

Crowley was alone. Standard procedure says that he stay out of the house (safety) until backup arises. That is why he exited to the front porch.

Why? Because he had no idea of what was happening inside there.

Perhaps the professor really did live there, but so did his wife. And perhaps the wifey had a restraining order against the prof. Was the wife upstairs in a bedroom bound and gagged?

Too many scenarios for the cop to just say "Whoops. No B&E her! Move along please".

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

Perhaps the professor really did live there, but so did his wife. And perhaps the wifey had a restraining order against the prof. Was the wife upstairs in a bedroom bound and gagged?

You have made a comment similar to this several times. What leads you to believe the police officer had reason to believe there was a restraining order? Because without probable cause, upon being satisfied that he was the resident they should have left.

[edit on 24-7-2009 by harvib]

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

I agree 100%,once again it's ameture hour in the oval office. The police acted stupidly,I don't have all of the facts? Your the President of the United States and you throw the race card on a topic that you don't have all the facts on,bad form for any President of any country! Say what you want about President Bush, but at least his advisors had enough common sense not to have him on national tv inciting racial hatred! What a bunch of rookies. But thats my opinion I don't have all the facts

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   
After looking at everything that went on who was the real racist or racists here?

1. The freaky Professor

2. POTUS

These two acted like the racists they are. The freaky professor accused the police of being racist when in fact there was a black officer there and he is backing up the white officer.

POTUS has been and always will be a racist that hates America and now we know hates cops that do their job as well.

In the end no one injected race into this except the two black vocal idiots which is usually the case when claims of racism spread through the media like wildfire. They acted very stupidly...

I think they need to reinstate the charges against the racist freaky Professor. They did him a favor by dropping the charges. I say stick it to his a$$. This would put even more egg on the face of POTUS.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by harvib

There have been plenty of incidents where PD's were sued because of just such circumstances.

Crowley knows police procedure; he followed it to a textbook degree. Even the black officer that came to assist agrees.

Obama and Gates are two peas from the same pod - racists.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by drwizardphd

IN HIS OWN HOUSE.

Sorry for the caps, but there is no such thing as 'disorderly conduct' when you're in your own house, unless you are attempting to infringe on another person's rights.

To insinuate otherwise is simply ridiculous. The cops in this situation were wrong. They acted stupidly.

Here is the actual police report....

www.thesmokinggun.com...

He was arrested outside of his home for disorderly conduct as a crowd was starting to gather near his house and Gates was continuing to be belligerent to the officer. He wasn't in his house and was starting to cause a scene. He was warned twice that he was being disorderly and after that he was arrested.

The office in question has taught a racial profiling class to rookie cops for the last 5 years and gave mouth to mouth resuscitation to Reggie Lewis when he was a local basketball player. You are barking up the wrong tree if you think this Officer was acting because he was a racist.

Just wait till the audio tapes come out, we will see who will be eating crow......

Just because you are a Professor, acquaintance of the President and BLACK, you can still be a jerk to the Police without someone being "Racist Police Officer".

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   

OMG...another witness. You should have let on earlier that you were present and witnessed every word and action.

The problem with this whole thing is that there is a group of people on this thread and spread out over this country committing the same sin they are bashing Obama for. People refer to Gates as a racist but no one should dare question the police. Get real. I hate to break this bad news to everyone here but cops can be just as racist and corrupt as the next guy...maybe even more.

No one on this thread was there so stop spouting absolutes as if you were.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Witness2008

OMG...another witness. You should have let on earlier that you were present and witnessed every word and action.

The problem with this whole thing is that there is a group of people on this thread and spread out over this country committing the same sin they are bashing Obama for. People refer to Gates as a racist but no one should dare question the police. Get real. I hate to break this bad news to everyone here but cops can be just as racist and corrupt as the next guy...maybe even more.

No one on this thread was there so stop spouting absolutes as if you were.

We will have audio soon enough and that will tell the true story. I hope we get to hear the freaky racist professor screaming like a girl in the background.

Blacks in this country need to get over it. They won. Their guy is POTUS and POTUS just told them to tell the cops to go climb a tree if they come a knocking...

This racist POTUS is not my POTUS. I denounce him... I am formally calling for impeachment!

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

That post totally made my day, I won't get on your bad side!!!!

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 10:34 PM
link   

I do happen to know that you can say what ever you please as long as it is not a threat of harm. Speaking your mind is not a crime in any state. If speaking your mind does in fact disturb the peace it is most often dealt with as a civil violation resulting in a ticket. If charges are brought they are dropped and more often than not the city, state or county forks over a fist full of dollars for having made such a bad call.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join