It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massive New Zealand quake moves country west

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Massive New Zealand quake moves country west

hosted.ap.org

Southern New Zealand has moved slightly closer to the east coast of neighboring Australia as a result of a massive earthquake last week off the country's South Island, a scientist said Wednesday.

The magnitude 7.8 quake, centered in the ocean near Resolution Island in the country's Fiordland region, twisted South Island out of shape and moved its southern tip 12 inches (30 centimeters) closer to Australia, seismologist Ken Gledhill said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   
This seems to be right out of a scifi movie, the whole country or should i say a portion has shifted 30 cm.

This could make a great scenario or could be a prelude into what were all going to be hearing in the not too distant future. Lucky for Australians there right smack in the middle of a tectonic plate. www.worldatlas.com...

I guess any further quakes and they could build some underwater tunnel linking Aust. to New Zealand.

hosted.ap.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by tristar
I guess any further quakes and they could build some underwater tunnel linking Aust. to New Zealand.

wait you don't think they've already built one?
you wouldn't know about it if there was one.
I doubt the 'Auckland Hum' is "waves bouncing off the beach".

would be cool if the whole continent of Zealandia emerged!

-

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by prevenge

Heh unfortunately given that according to geologists NZ's been down and then pushed back up again a number of times since the earth started spinning its more likely us down here on our two islands will more than likely submerge than emerge

Didnt know though that they actually had a name for all our land under the ocean. Quick we need global cooling or I propose we drill a hole in the earths crust to lower the ocean levels. Neat thing is our 'continent' is constantly growing (sortta) stick that in your pipe Australia

Must admit it was a biggie good thing it was out in the Fiorlands would have been a complete disaster if it was near one of the main South Island cities. Interesting to note we've had quite a few larger than normal quakes (3.9-4/5 mag) the last year or so, could they have been a build up to this one... or is this one just a build up as well?

Hope not.

[edit on 22-7-2009 by BigfootNZ]

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by tristar
twisted South Island out of shape and moved its southern tip 12 inches (30 centimeters) closer to Australia,

Seems like if it moved South Island 12 inches west then it had to have moved something else too because it didn't say it stretched it - it moved it. I wonder what else was affected. This stuff is fascinating to me.

I also wanted to note that 12 inches is quite a lot for one event. That was substantial.

[edit on 22/7/2009 by Iamonlyhuman]

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by prevenge

Already built one? Its more than 1400 miles between the two closest points of New Zealand and Australia. When would they have built one without anyone noticing? As for Zealandia, don't count on it, that sucker will be done there for a long time, even longer considering most of it is on the subducting part of the convergence zone.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by BigfootNZ

Originally posted by prevenge

Heh unfortunately given that according to geologists NZ's been down and then pushed back up again a number of times since the earth started spinning its more likely us down here on our two islands will more than likely submerge than emerge

why because there's an exactly alternating up-down pattern to the continent's movement?

dunno about that.

there was recently a massive land rise in Alaska.
does this mean next movement we'll see in Alaska will be "down"..

I don't think this follows any type of distinct alternating pattern..

I'd be more inclined to think that it's movement is based upon a myriad of complexities rather than just a distinct up . then . down movement.

Originally posted by Dnevnoi
reply to post by prevenge

Already built one? Its more than 1400 miles between the two closest points of New Zealand and Australia. When would they have built one without anyone noticing?

subterranean tunnels ... research them.
people DO notice their being built... as a massive rumbling that keeps them up at night.
the authorities just say it's "waves rumbling" or some other nonsense the dull minded lap up as part of their media-milk.

As for Zealandia, don't count on it, that sucker will be done there for a long time, even longer considering most of it is on the subducting part of the convergence zone.

we'd like to think we're all-knowing on the public level as far as geological activity... and our solar system's interaction with our mantle.. but hey... humans are all-knowing right? and nothing out of our scope of knowledge could happen or exist right?

if you say so...

-

[edit on 22-7-2009 by prevenge]

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 07:45 PM
link   
12inches closer?

Coooool.

With so many of my Whānau on the east coast and back in papatoetoe, they could practically yell across the tasman at each other!

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Maybe these things, NZ moving (seems to be an awful lot of plate shifting lately) the land rise in Alaska, etc are all precursors to the pole shift that's supposed to happen.

new topics

top topics

join