It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Schoolgirl, 13, arrested after sub-machine gun found in her wardrobe

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Schoolgirl, 13, arrested after sub-machine gun found in her wardrobe

www.dailymail.co.uk

A 13-year-old schoolgirl has been arrested by armed police - after they discovered a sub-machine gun in her wardrobe. The teenager was taken into custody yesterday afternoon after the M16-style rifle...

Around 15 officers carrying sub-machine guns, hydraulic battering rams and combat shields raced to the address after hearing reports of the weapon on the estate.

'If you mess around with weapons we will be at your front door and you will come face to face with an armed response unit.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.dailymail.co.uk
[url=http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=102&topic_id=3980818&mesg_id=3980818]www.democraticunderground.com[ /url]

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Now, this is a weird story. They didn't even get a statement from the girl, just the police. Not that a 13 year old should be giving a public statement on why she has a high-power rifle in her bedroom.

That last statement is propaganda in my eyes. That's basically a broadcast to all gun owners. "if you have guns, well bring guns to your house". Seems a little broad considering this is in a gun-riddles neighborhood and is a pretty unlikely scenario.

I wonder what she would have done, if anything, with that rifle?

www.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   
1st, I dont think that's a sub-machine gun. Unless definitions in the UK are different sub-machine guns are pistol caliber.

2nd, why the hell can a 13 year old girl get in the UK with their gun ban and all what I cant get in the U.S. without having $25,000 and all sorts of federal forms and signatures for?

[edit on 22-7-2009 by thisguyrighthere]

CX

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I wouldn't get too excited over this.

The news have a habit of being unbelievably inaccurate when it comes to identifying weapons. It might look like a machine gun, but is often something else.

Either way, an automatic weapon turning up every now and again in and around London is not unusual. Nice that it's off the streets if it is true, but not unusual.

Kids have been known to carry weapons like this, but it could just be a criminal stashing his weapon in his daughters cupboard.

CX.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   
That is what one would call an assault rifle, a sub-gun is typically something akin to a H&K MP5 (with auto-sear). Of course I never expect the media to get it right, if they did then people might not be so freaked out by black firearms.

[edit on 7/22/2009 by Helig]

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Kevin_X2

Firstly, their idiots. That is by no stretch of the definition, a sub-machine gun. Infact that doesn't even look like a machine gun. It looks like an AR-15. ♠

But hey, when does a journalist actually check their facts?

Anyways, this is not the US. They do not have the some rights as we do, and as such an AR-15/M16 is prohibited to them. Nothing new, I'm not surprised.

[edit on 22-7-2009 by Miraj]

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   
If the picture is correct then not only is that not a sub- its not a machine gun either.... cant say what the laws are in the UK but that's an AR-15 Civilian Semi-auto version of the old M16

[edit on 22-7-2009 by DaddyBare]

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 01:13 PM
link   
That's also a very early model of the AR-15 A1, They are already up to Ar-15 A-4, and M-6 in the carbine! It's even got the original model three pronged flash hider and tapered hand guards and no forward assist! It has the first year sight on it also with only windage correction!

Zindo

[edit on 7/22/2009 by ZindoDoone]

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I mean come on, dont they have metal detectors nowadays at schools.
It seems that weapons are now being treated as a major concern in schools. What ever happen to kids bringing drugs to school?

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Helig
That is what one would call an assault rifle, a sub-gun is typically something akin to a H&K MP5 (with auto-sear). Of course I never expect the media to get it right, if they did then people might not be so freaked out by black firearms.

[edit on 7/22/2009 by Helig]

There is no such thing as an "Assault Rifle". People need to stop using that term. The media uses it to scare the public into accepting gun bans. It is simply a semi-automatic rifle, just like any ordinary hunting rifle, that looks like a fully automatic m-16.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by austra

'Assault. Rifle' is a valid classification of firearm, and may be generally defined as follows: a select-fire weapon, chambered for an intermediate caliber round.

You are correct that the media does tend to classify anything that 'looks military' (to include a Ruger 10/22 with a composite stock) an 'assault rifle'

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by austra

True it is definitely not a sub machine gun. However, the article did not specify what caliber the confiscated weapon really was. I have seen m-16s configured in 9mm handgun caliber with shortened stock, used mainly by ATF. I suppose if that was the case, they could then call it a sub machine gun and be somewhat correct. I do agree that the MSM has no idea what so ever how to properly classify any weapon at all.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   
But how can this be?

I thought the UK had banned such weapons.

CX

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Retseh
But how can this be?

They have, but the wrong people can still get weapons from the right people.

CX/

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Oh for God sake, this is just lovely...

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Retseh

They were banned, most criminals, not saying this 13 year old girl is a criminal. Buy them from te black market, or go underground to obtain them.

I can see it now. The Gov will bring in more laws to restrict our liberties. Oh Joy

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I highly doubt that the gun belonged to the girl.
The gun was probably owned by a family member who for whatever reason had it, or the girl was involved with some of the wrong people and they were storing it in her house because it was not suspicious.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by CX

CX/

Now you're getting it.

Gun bans only affect the law abiding.

Criminals do whatever they want, the law has no effect on them.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Oatmeal

Likes like .223 to me. But that's probably too indepth for a journalist. All they need to do is make it sound scarier than it is..

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by CX

Originally posted by Retseh
But how can this be?

CX/

Ah...

The main argument of gun supporters here in the States.

Sure. Go ahead. Take our guns, for our own protection of course. Left defenseless .. but the criminals? .. Oh, they will be armed. They will always be armed.

So what does it take, in the UK, to get a swat team to invade the house of someone you don't like? Ah, just call the police and tell them you saw "machine guns" and the Storm Troopers will bust down the door.
Y'all in the UK have some serious issues to work out.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join