It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1000 Ways to Die

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   
My twelve year old son and I were watching Spike TV the other day (his choice because I couldn't watch another episode of Sponge Bob) and 1000 Ways to Die came on. After watching with him for 30 minutes I was appalled and horrified that this show is demeaning death and poking fun at people who die in unusual ways. The last example on each episode depicts a death defying experience.

My son's father is a fan of Sci-Fi and gore. My kids, under his influence have been watching Freddie Kruger and Jason kill for years (with my strong disapproval).

1000 Ways to Die. Hmmm? Is this show meant to help people understand that putting bleach into a septic system will cause a gaseous deadly vapor that will kill you? Or is is making fun of the stupidity of people and their self-inflicted deaths?

I think its sick. Morally wrong and extremely harmful to young, developing minds. Yet, their dad thinks its funny and has no problem letting them watch as much crud as they want.

Here is a link to Spike TV's web page with video clips of some of their episodes. What do you think? Is this appropriate subject matter for kids? Is this appropriate for anyone? Hmmm.

1000 Ways to Die

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 10:08 AM
link   
I think it's mostly done for shock value and cringe-worthiness. I'm usually into the whole gorror scene, but that show was just a bit much.
Does have some educational value however, though most of it should be common frelling sense.
"Don't snuff fire ants, else you'll die a prolonged and painful death."

Then again, Spike has had quite a few shows like that, "Scarred" for an example.

[edit on 22-7-2009 by TheTeaKettle]

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Its a great show. Both informational and entertaining. They change the names of the deceased they depict inorder to protect the dead. In that respect, I find no disrespect. Everyone is going to die eventually. I think a show pointing out some of the more dubious ways to go isn't harmful at all. Though some aren't as dubious as they are "final destination".

"Hey, don't do this or you'll die" = PSA IMO and them showing someone who "should of" died at the end just goes to show that we will always overestimate and underestimate our own ability.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Hazelnut

Hiya Hazel!

I'd have to say no, I wouldn't think that showis appropriate viewing for kids. That's just me tho. I don't think it's even appropriate viewing for me for that matter!
I don't understand where the ideas for these kind of shows even come from to be honest.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by sugarmonkey

Hey! Sugarmonkey
I gave your post a star because you agree with me. I hope that is politically correct. NO wait - - - I hate politically correct!

Seriously, I was befuddled by the show and why anyone would want to market to kids like that. Although I understand that different people have different perspectives, I still think its on the questionable side. That's what got me thinking. Why would they make fun of something so serious? For ratings?

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hazelnut
Why would they make fun of something so serious? For ratings?

IMO, basically yes. Networks will do anything for ratings. Is that show targeting a kid audience tho? I thought Spike TV was a men's channel?

BTW, PC is over rated

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by sugarmonkey

I think you are right about Spike being a channel specifically appealing to males in general. They air CSI programs too. A lot of the CSI episodes seem very similar to 1000 Ways to Kill but are presented foresically. That makes a difference because its a clear message. The subject of the OP sends clear Mixed Messages. I just can't figure out why poking fun at death is entertainment or education. Its an odd presentation.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   
I dont think this show makes fun of death of the people who die like that..after all they do change thier names.
Its just an informative show, sort of like a psa as another poster said.
I dont get why some people seem to think this show was marketed for children. If anything this show is something that is def not for kids; just like a lot of good shows on tv now.

If you dont think its appropriate for kids then dont let them watch it. Sucks you cant controle your baby daddy but that sorta goes with that whole baby daddy thing.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by FunSized
I dont think this show makes fun of death of the people who die like that..after all they do change thier names.
Its just an informative show, sort of like a psa as another poster said.
I dont get why some people seem to think this show was marketed for children. If anything this show is something that is def not for kids; just like a lot of good shows on tv now.

If you dont think its appropriate for kids then dont let them watch it. Sucks you cant controle your baby daddy but that sorta goes with that whole baby daddy thing.

You are right they do change the names and protect identities. I also agree its informative. I have the common sense to know that 15 year old cruddy, mobile home septic tanks should never be cleaned with a gallon of bleach in an unventilated, closet sized-toilet before watching this episode.

Or that slugging a guy in the stomach after he has eaten half the banquet table to help him belch would explode his stomach sending the contents into his body cavity resulting in death.

With those examples as my questions, why? Are we really that stupid?

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I want to see this show haha.
It doesn't sound as bad as you are making it.
Sounds like the Darwin Awards to me just a bit more informational.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   

I am appalled and horrified you let your child watch this show. While your husband may be a fan of teenage slasher movies, somebody has to be an adult in the household and take control of the remote!

If you don't want your child watching shows like that, and the title should have warned you, put some parental controls on the remote! Don't give your husband the code numbers until after your children have gone to bed!

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blanca Rose

I am appalled and horrified you let your child watch this show. While your husband may be a fan of teenage slasher movies, somebody has to be an adult in the household and take control of the remote!

If you don't want your child watching shows like that, and the title should have warned you, put some parental controls on the remote! Don't give your husband the code numbers until after your children have gone to bed!

We are divorced. I had never heard of the show until that day. I discussed my thoughts with my son, he told me what he thought about it. I don't control people, I suggest wisely. They make their own decisions. Even my children. How else will they figure out the repercussions for their choices? As long as I am there to discuss things with him, he'll figure out for himself what to think. Sharing and discussing goes a long way with kids.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by seangkt

You can watch at the link in the OP

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Good Megadeth song.. Wait..

99 Ways to Die.

Good show.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   
This show is not aimed at kids at all, its a prime time show when kids are supposed to be in bed or at least have an adult supervising what they watch. Prime time tv is not for kids, thats why shows have ratings.

But also with that being said, I was never stopped from watching gory shows growing up, I turned out alright. I've never raped, killed or tortured anyone or anything. TV doesn't make bad kids, bad parenting towards bad kids is where the issue is. (Not saying for a sec Hazel you're a bad parent)

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   
There is an old Samurai philosophy in the Hagakure that reads:

The Way of the Samurai is found in death. Meditation on inevitable death should be performed daily. Every day when one's body and mind are at peace, one should meditate upon being ripped apart by arrows, rifles, spears and swords, being carried away by surging waves, being thrown into the midst of a great fire, being struck by lightning, being shaken to death by a great earthquake, falling from thousand-foot cliffs, dying of disease or committing seppuku at the death of one's master. And every day without fail one should consider himself as dead. This is the substance of the way of the samurai.

In order to truly live, as opposed to just surviving, one must intimately know death and realize that it is always present and always near. Until that time comes, we live our lives in fear of death, never truly being alive, but being paralyzed by death.

Although I think that 1000 Ways to Die is trash television at it's finest, it does serve a purpose in the Collective Conscious, helping people overcome their fear of death, to learn the true fragility of life, and to perhaps release them from the bondage of slavery that the fear of death keeps us in to begin truly living.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by stereovoyaged

Well, in my area the show came on at 7:00 PM. He is twelve...

Their dad has had either cartoons or gore on his TV non-stop forever. I can't force him to do things my way for the sake of my kids. How would it be for them if they came here and I tried to readjust everything that is normal when they are with their dad?

My son put the show on and it was my first time seeing it. It struck me wrong and I'm trying to figure out why.

Maybe because so many of my closest relatives died in the last 3 years and I'm sensitive.

Hearing what you all think is interesting. But I still think there is some subliminal, subconscious mind or emotion manipulation going on. Humor associated with dying has a time and a place.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Just a quick question for you Hazel, what kind of music does your son like?, kinda clothes does he wear? Is he disrespectful towards you or other people? Does he get in trouble at school? Distructive for the sake of being distructive?? If he is a good kid, I wouldnt' worry, if he is an overactive, mouthy, ganger wanna be, POS kid, then I would nip it in the bud, if not, don't worry about it, you've done a good job with your kid and he knows right and wrong and this should have no effect.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by stereovoyaged

He's a good kid. His initials, RPM, describe him perfectly. He told me when he was 4 that he was going to be the best race car driver one day. He is obsessed with cars.

I don't think the show harms anyone on the surface. But it may build a subconscious insensitivity toward death and dying. Maybe not.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   

My heart goes out to you. On a positive note, your marraige vow is only good until death.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join