It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cheney's Secret Service protection extended

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 09:13 AM
link   

politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com

Ordinarily, former vice presidents only receive Secret Service protection for the first six months after leaving office. DHS told CNN this is the first time a former vice president's security detail has been extended beyond the standard duration.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 09:13 AM
link   

The extension was not based on a specific threat against the former vice president, CNN has also learned. Rather, officials believed the move was justified given the ongoing wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, political debate about the Bush administration's strategies and Cheney's active public schedule, according to a government official with knowledge of the matter.

Yeah... I guess so! I would think that, in this case especially, there would be more than enough justification for extending his secret service detail.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

Probably a good move.
I imagine a lot of people would like to take him away and waterboard him.
Take him away and put a gun to his knee cap, see how he likes it.

Atleast this way, he can feel more secure, so when the guard is removed, it will be easier to get that son of a ...

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop

Probably a good move.
I imagine a lot of people would like to take him away and waterboard him.
Take him away and put a gun to his knee cap, see how he likes it.

Atleast this way, he can feel more secure, so when the guard is removed, it will be easier to get that son of a ...

SSSHHHHH, Don't speak your mind , they will label you a 'terrorist' and come to get you, take you away and you'll 'disappear'..

Shhhhhhh!!!!!!

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 09:55 AM
link   
In thinking more about this I think that there would more than enough justification to provide the same secret service protection (lifetime) as former presidents because Cheney did act in that capacity did he not?

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 09:59 AM
link   

In 1997, just a few years prior to Bill Clinton exiting the White House, the Secret Service's mandate of lifetime guard duty of former President's changed.

They are no longer obligated to protect a former President, and family, for the rest of their lives.

It is now a ten year maximum, after a President leave office.

They can hire their own private security detail.

I agree with this policy, as we the American citizens should not have to pay for this, it's a huge waste of our tax money.

Secret Service Website

[edit on 22-7-2009 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by SpartanKingLeonidas

Thanks for that info... I didn't know that.

Ok, then, I guess 10 yrs for Cheney then.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 10:27 AM
link   
With the multi-millions of dollars former presidents rake in from book deals and speaking engagements, I don't think it's that disrespectful to limit the secret service protection program. Plus generally a president is wealthy prior to being elected.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by jjkenobi

This story wasn't talking about limiting the protection but extending it for the first time for a former vice-president.

[edit on 22/7/2009 by Iamonlyhuman]

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Iamonlyhuman

Ordinarily, former vice presidents only receive Secret Service protection for the first six months after leaving office. DHS told CNN this is the first time a former vice president's security detail has been extended beyond the standard duration.

Cheney is SO unpopular, if I was him, I'd live in a tank. By the way, post secret service I think they might have agents of the Federal Protection Service, but I'm not sure how it all works. I do know some former office holders sometimes hire their own protection from the vast numbers of companies that offer persons of everything from very good to terrible quality.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Cheney can afford to hire his OWN personal guards..., heck, I'm sure Xe (formerly Black Water) will give him a good deal... why should he be a tax-burden on the people of the country (I mean more so than all the others)?

Also, I can guarantee that Haliburton will gladly put him up in their Dubai mansions for free! They ought to - he hooked them up for billions....

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Yeah, but why spend the money when you know the taxpayers can be made to pay for it.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Does anyone know how much it costs us to 'protect' him for a day? I'm gonna go out on a limb and say about 5 grand.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Does everybody know that Obama is the one that wants to protect Cheney? Suspicious ain't it? An African-American president protecting a white man.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy
Does everybody know that Obama is the one that wants to protect Cheney? Suspicious ain't it? An African-American president protecting a white man.

...And they say race isn't a huge underlying element of America today.

The day Cheney dies is a day I celebrate.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy

They ARE distant cousins... maybe that's why.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpartanKingLeonidas

In 1997, just a few years prior to Bill Clinton exiting the White House, the Secret Service's mandate of lifetime guard duty of former President's changed.

They are no longer obligated to protect a former President, and family, for the rest of their lives.

It is now a ten year maximum, after a President leave office.

They can hire their own private security detail.

I agree with this policy, as we the American citizens should not have to pay for this, it's a huge waste of our tax money.

Secret Service Website

[edit on 22-7-2009 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

Not to mention, if you think you are protected for the rest of your life, then you will be more reckless with your administration.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

To MAXMARS; your right about the income, he might prefer to have private guards, and he could get the (in theory) best.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Before too much complaining about Secret Service protection for Cheney takes place, remember that Hilliary Clinton has demanded the same protection since her husband left office. Don't you remember the back & forth between the Secret Service and the State Department's Executive Protective Service (?) about who was going to provide her protection when she was appointed Sec. of State?

willyclem

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   
For Cheny's politics, I am not a fan. However, I respect the guy for being a tough SOB and not giving a damn what people think about him. Some people worry too much about their image.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join