It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congo Rapes, Violence Linked To Multinational Companies: Rights Group

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 08:30 AM
link   

www.huffingtonpost.com

Murders, rapes and major internal displacement in the Democratic Republic of Congo have been linked to a number of multinational companies in a report

Entitled "Faced With A Gun, What Can You Do?" the report names a number of high-profile companies it says are involved in buying minerals from questionable sources within the DRC who use the money to fund violent armed conflict in the region.

Global Witness names AMC, THIARSCO, Trademet and Afrimex among the companies they say are linked to
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 08:30 AM
link   
It's amazing how some people around the world which are graced with riches around thier place of living are cursed to live in a "hell on earth".

The UN currently estimates that 1.6 million people are displaced in the eastern provinces.

Global Witness names AMC, THIARSCO, Trademet and Afrimex among the companies they say are linked to the DRC violence.

In 2007, after Global Witness made similar claims again Afrimex, a UK government group found the company guilty of breaching the OECD guidelines for trading in conflict regions. Global Witness claims that Afrimex still needs to be more thorough in tracing its supplies.

Well I hope a very thorough investigation will be done!

www.huffingtonpost.com

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Africa is one corrupt disgusting continent look at the like of Somalia and Zimbabwae as examples of Dictators being allowed to drag promising countries back into the dark ages. Multi Nationals are behind a lot of the problems however I think that the majority of the people have hearts as black as space and will do anything to get power and money. It is the way it has always been and the way it always will, they are burdened by their historic tribal culture and traditions like inheriting your brothers wife when your brother dies, normally of aids, you catch the aids off of her, the circle continues. There is no easy solution for Africa and it will become worse as the worlds fossil fuel reserves run down, Nigeria et all will start to get the same sort of attention that Iraq and Afghanistan is getting now.
P.s you may say that I am generalising however out of a landmass that size you can count on one hand the countries that are being run democratically and properly

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Africa is truly a cursed land. It really should be left as one large wildlife refuge.

Africans no matter how many times seem to never learn and keep electing psychopath dictators (elect is a debatable word but they keep coming into power)

African dictators would not stay in power if it wasnt for violent and immoral thugs who do the raping and murdering for them.

Africa does have amazing natural resources that humanity needs but other than that all its exported is disease, burdens, and more disease.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

www.huffingtonpost.com

Murders, rapes and major internal displacement in the Democratic Republic of Congo have been linked to a number of multinational companies in a report

Entitled "Faced With A Gun, What Can You Do?" the report names a number of high-profile companies it says are involved in buying minerals from questionable sources within the DRC who use the money to fund violent armed conflict in the region.

Global Witness names AMC, THIARSCO, Trademet and Afrimex among the companies they say are linked to

There has never been a shortage of companies that "accomadate" host countries abominations in order to secure favor with that country. I travel overseas a great deal, and in a few countries what I have been "offered" in exchange for my signature on a contract would make most people throw-up. These companies as a result often have an economic advantage over a compeitor (spell?).

Add to that bribes ( VERY commen), to other factors related to the "cost of doing business", and you soon learn in many countries corruption and business are one and the same. As is corruption and government. So often the whole bunch are joined-at-the-hip. For the most part, I can live with that. But when people are exploited, abused, raped, etc; your getting into a universe I will have nothing to do with.

Bringing this problem to the attention of the world is something a company/government does not want. I also found out the hard way that "blowing the whistle" can put you, even those you know, in grave danger. It can be done, just be sure no one can trace the dots back to you.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   
So let me get this straight.

After decades of being accused of stealing natural resources from these countries, companies are now doing the right thing and paying for them.

But because the locals then use that money to buy guns and kill each other, it's the companies fault because they are buying those resources from quote "questionable sources".

If there's a source in Africa that isn't "questionable" I'd like to hear about it.

Huffington Post contributors work very hard to blame every problem in the world on "big business".

A few months in Somalia would be beneficial to their outlook.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Retseh
So let me get this straight.

After decades of being accused of stealing natural resources from these countries, companies are now doing the right thing and paying for them.

But because the locals then use that money to buy guns and kill each other, it's the companies fault because they are buying those resources from quote "questionable sources".

If there's a source in Africa that isn't "questionable" I'd like to hear about it.

Huffington Post contributors work very hard to blame every problem in the world on "big business".

A few months in Somalia would be beneficial to their outlook.

To comment on what you said, your right. What some companies in the past have done as to the treatment of a country have been deplorable. But your in another league when a country offers women, children for "entertainment". This happened to me. No one argues that certain companies, usually with the blessing of the government, have taken advantage of a huge number of regions. The best we can do is try to find out who the company/country is, and not do business with them.

That can be very hard to do because of the apperance of appropriate (as in civilized) behaviour. My company has a corporate intelligence network that tries to get to the bottom of what's REALLY going on. It has prevented the sale of a high technology product to a third party that was prohibited from recieving them. It's labor/time/money expensive, but I do sleep at night.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Well this wonderful. This disgust me.

Kinda unrelated but if anyone in this planet mistreats a women in ANYWAY should burn. Treat them right! Please! I love me my women. But I'm a REAL man so I treat women with the UTMOST respect!.

They the most beautiful people on the planet. I LOVE women! (to bad I'm married lol I'm jk I love my wife)

I am ranting now

Peace

[edit on 22-7-2009 by jeasahtheseer]

top topics

join