It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Expenses clean-up bill is passed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 02:50 AM
link   

news.bbc.co.uk

A bill aimed at cleaning up Parliament after the MPs' expenses scandal has become law after getting Royal Assent.

However, the government dropped plans for a legally-binding code of conduct and two new criminal offences for MPs in the face of stiff opposition.

Ministers insisted the changes made for a better bill and that it was vital it became law before the summer recess.

Opponents complained it has been rushed through and Lib Dem leader Nick Clegg said it would not restore public trust.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 02:50 AM
link   
How important is the rampant corruption at the center of UK politics? Not very, according to the BBC, as in their "other top stories" section, it came sixth under:

Deaths up during anti-knife drive
UK recovery 'to take five years'
Racism 'still exists' in police
Follow-on milk ads 'misleading'
Saudis chided on 'rights abuses'

Yeah, because they have their priorities straight. Cover it up, people will forget...

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 03:34 AM
link   
reply to post by The Last Man on Earth

It seems a lot can change in a few minutes when it comes to the BBC, here is what I am seeing on the website now...

* 'I would pay £3,000 for a big house'
* China iPhone man commits suicide
* Sizzling sausage advert skewered
* UK 'is losing 52 pubs each week'
* Asia watches long solar eclipse
* Follow-on milk ads 'misleading'
* Watergate Hotel attracts no bids
* UK recovery 'to take five years'
* Glasgow 'invented' Tikka Masala
* UK 'lacks helicopters' - minister

People switch themselves off when it comes to politics, war, poverty, law, conspiracy, religion, UK constitution etc. The BBC is extremely misleading daily, its pumped full of propoganda. It is after all government owned, at least they dont hide that but I have met people who have even argued that it is privately owned. People switch on however when it comes to, crimes in their area, sicknesses going around, what colour of hair the latest celeb has, finance (bbc finance that is), sports, technology and food etc.

The political system will never be fixed in my opinion, until its eradicated but that is not going to happen any time soon. Its been sealed, signed and delivered here for a long time ago now. The minute this country signed itself into the EU it was flushed down the toilet pan. Ignorance has a habit of slapping you in the face in life and this country deserves a good slap on the face to wake the public up as far as I see it. Sadly the people who do give a damn might share that slap as well.

People will forget sadly until its too late to do anything.

Just my 2 pence which will be worth nothing in a few months.

Its not all bad though, didnt you hear that ...... has an offer on food....baaa...baaa....baaa.

[edit on 22-7-2009 by XXXN3O]

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 05:21 AM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

If you think people from the UK wil forget this, then you assume wrong. When the General election comes round. Those MP's guilty of this expences scandal, wil be outed.

Sadly this legislation which has passed through parliament, has been watered down. The Independant regulator, will not be independant. Scrutiny of MP's wil be carried out by MP's themselves. Complete betrayla off the British Public.

I for one will not be votng for any main steam parties, comming the next G/E. They are all corrupt.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 05:38 AM
link   
it just seems like a great opportunity to reform the way our political system works has been wasted. I had hopes of some kind of constitutional changes maybe even somethtng akin to a written constitution. Nevermind, we can look forward to a Tory government *shudder*. I just hope Vince Cable becomes leader of the liberals to offer us a serious alternative

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 05:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Laurauk

Absence makes the heart grow fonder but sometimes I wonder if things are left half said for a reason.

Conservatives will be elected in the next general election. That is if we get one, what makes anyone think Brown will not replace himself and void the election like before.

Back in 1997 the conservatives were as hated as labour.

It will never change. Absence makes the heart grow fonder and the heart makes the mind forget.

I dont think we live in a democracy, I dont think we ever really did to be honest.

This country has voided its own government and broken its own laws with the EU membership to even start. The whole place is a sham, parliament made itself invalid, the queen needs a skelp in the butt for not doing her duty, Brown needs to be flushed down the toilet just like the name suggests, the police need to take a good look in the mirror and read up on the countries real laws, the whole country is in some state, its beyond repair in my opinion.

They might as well wrap some chains on us all while they are at it, at least it will clear up the mindscrew we all recieve in this country, once and for all.

Anyways its nice to see someone trying to vote for something that the mainstream is not highlighting. We are all entitled to our opinions barely but politics in the country winds me up, it shouldnt even be called politics, it should be called treason because thats what it is. People have forgotten that they were gifted a bill of rights which is currently being used as toilet roll, if they can forget that, they can forget anything in my opinion and they will.

eutruth.org.uk...

www.tpuc.org...

eutruth.org.uk...

[edit on 22-7-2009 by XXXN3O]

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 05:44 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

We have a written constitution, and at least a Tory government will be fiscally sound!!!

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 05:49 AM
link   
The expenses scandal really was small potatoes compared to the corruption which stems from government and big business being in bed with each other. You see policy going on all the time because of that, increased fluoridization of our water supply "for the kids" from the health minister is just one of a slew of policy which have sprung up for dubious reasons.

I view the expenses scandal as misdirection. If we were focusing our attention on it, then we were looking the wrong way. Who benefitted from the scandal? Who was damaged or lost their jobs from it? That is the real story.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Last Man on Earth
reply to post by woodwardjnr

We have a written constitution, and at least a Tory government will be fiscally sound!!!

Your wrong, we don't have a written constitution and although the Tories will be thrifty, their track record on helping the working man isn't too good.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

I would have to disagree with regards to the queen. She has done damm well far more than any off the parties who have been elected into parliament, And anyways The queen cannot turn round and refuse to pass any legislation, the governement puts forward. It would cause a constitutional crisis. This has happenned before. The governement won.

As for Europe, well that speaks for itself really. We should never have entered the single market.

I agree with you with regards to the next G/M. I know the tories are going to be voted back in. This is what I am dreading. We are going to suffer a s a consenquence off what Brown and Co has done to this country.

Seems the Government has made us the subjects of the state, not the other way around. Until this is reversed, this country is going downhill really fast.

The police need to go back to what they were like years ago.. Much of the blame for this has to be placed on the Government.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Our current electoral and government procedures are outdated and are not designed to serve the wishes of the people.
Corruption of MP's seems engrained.
MP's currently put the wishes and interests of their party and large corporations or 'interst groups' before the cares, concerns, interests and wishes of their constituents.

Party politics has failed us miserably and does not represent the democratic wishes of the electorate.

The present bunch of career politicians are intent to maintain the gravy train and the status quo.
Party alignment should be made illegal.
Prospective MP's should stand for election in their constituency on their own personal manifesto's and should be judged on their voting performance in accordance of their manifesto and the wishes of the constituents who elected them.

Increased use of referendum's should be actively sought.

We have allowed politicians to turn things around so that they tell us what we should do.
This is contrary to democracy.
We should assert our rights as free British and demand that our politicians represent US ans WE desire.

At present their is absolutely no difference between the major political parties.
They are a disgrace.
Where have all the politicians with conviction and passion gone?

I have posted this several times before but I make no apologies for doing so again....
We neeed a modern day Cromwell, (free from religious bigotry though!), who is willing to stand up to these treasonous crooks and abolish this private members club who do nothing but seek to further their own intersts at our expense.

Oliver Cromwell's Speech on the Dissolution of the Long Parliament
Given to the House of Commons

20 April 1653

It is high time for me to put an end to your sitting in this place, which you have dishonored by your
contempt of all virtue, and defiled by your practice of every vice; ye are a factious crew, and
enemies to all good government; ye are a pack of mercenary wretches, and would like Esau sell
your country for a mess of pottage, and like Judas betray your God for a few pieces of money.
Is there a single virtue now remaining amongst you? Is there one vice you do not possess? Ye have
no more religion than my horse; gold is your God; which of you have not barter'd your conscience
for bribes? Is there a man amongst you that has the least care for the good of the Commonwealth?
Ye sordid prostitutes have you not defil'd this sacred place, and turn'd the Lord's temple into a den
of thieves, by your immoral principles and wicked practices? Ye are grown intolerably odious to the
whole nation; you were deputed here by the people to get grievances redress'd, are yourselves gone!
So! Take away that shining bauble there, and lock up the doors. In the name of God, go!

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

That's a powerful diagnosis you put forward, Freeborn. Very powerful. But the outcome may not be pretty. History suggests a deep political morass provides the perfect platform for a nefarious "I've-got-all-the-answers" merchant.

Conspiracists would suggest that's the very reason the system has been allowed to putrefy this far...

new topics

top topics

join