It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Schizophrenic Brains Make More Complicated Music Than Sane Ones

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 08:01 PM
link   

A new computer program lets your brain turn fMRI machines into musical instruments by assigning notes to active regions of your cortex. The results may cause people to drive themselves crazy just to stay on the cutting edge of electronica.

Mad Science

Philosopher Dan Lloyd uses functional MRIs — which track changes in brain activity by lighting up in different colors and intensities as the brain processes information — to create music, by assigning each area of the brain a note and each level of intensity a volume. A computer does the rest, analyzing the movements of the functional MRIs and creating musical pieces that correspond to the changes.

In the course of his work, Lloyd discovered that scans of patients with dementia and schizophrenia make audibly different music than those of people with normal brains: people with dementia have more erratic rhythms and less bright notes, while people with schizophrenia have more complex patterns in the music created by their brains.

I'm thinking maybe mine is Megadeth, mixed in with some Culture Club.
Just kidding.

I was wondering if people that are schizophrenic hear music sometimes, instead of voices, but I couldn't find anything to support that. I thought this was sort of interesting though.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   
What does Jay-Z's "Death of Autotune" have to do with the article? I find that odd.

This is cool though, its interesting to think that one day we might be diagnosing neurological problems by the music they make.

Good find.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 08:29 PM
link   
... From what i have seen of Schizophrenics, .... I dont think they are ill at all. It seems they are perceiving reality in a different way, .... almost as if their mind has become unhinged.

.... perhaps even thinking multi-dimensionaly, ..... We can see how this type of thought process doesnt translate well into a 3 dimensional universe.

... However this is just speculation, ... I'd really like to sit down with a few Schizophrenics and pick their brains.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by IntastellaBurst

... From what i have seen of Schizophrenics, .... I dont think they are ill at all. It seems they are perceiving reality in a different way, .... almost as if their mind has become unhinged.

.... perhaps even thinking multi-dimensionaly, ..... We can see how this type of thought process doesnt translate well into a 3 dimensional universe.

... However this is just speculation, ... I'd really like to sit down with a few Schizophrenics and pick their brains.

You know, I read something along that line the other day, maybe on here....but a guy was essentially predicting things....so much we don't know...

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 09:22 PM
link   

I have an uncle that has schizoprhenia.

They are ill. He is the nicest guy ever, and the voices told him to hold up a hotel.

He was sent to jail.

They are not some magical truth-seekers. It is a condition that is bad and medication IS needed.

I would also like to add that is can destroy your life. Just think. Miss one medication and you lose control of yourself?

I am not trying to put your idea down, but I just want to get the point across that it is a horrible disease. I do doubt your comment about "what you have seen from schizophrenics"...my uncle certainly does not reflect all, but it is not pretty.

It seems as if some of you think they are blessed or something...

[edit on 21-7-2009 by FritosBBQTwist]

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Perhaps you are right, but ive met a few skitzo heads over the years. To be honest some where so far gone that i though they where demented. Defiantly not someone who is looking at things "multi-dimensionally" in the traditional sense. Many seemed like they had duo-dimensional points of view, since some seemed to have 2 minds stuck in the same body.

also, you always type your replies in the same strange way
your stabbing the "." to death each time.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   
a good example of schitzoid song writing check out tunes written by the late bass player Jaco Pastorious. he was a schitzoid but a brilliant musician. his stuff doesn't sound a whole lot like what most people would write.

Youtube. "teen town jaco" and you'll get to hear some music written by a schitzoid. and yes it is a very complex song.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 09:51 PM
link   
I seem to remember hearing that some cultures considered people with mental illness to be blessed, or 'touched.'

I'm certainly not saying that is the case, especially with everyone that is affected by a mental illness. I know a couple and if they don't have their meds, there will be some trouble.

The mind is a very complex thing and although we have made great strides, we are not very close to understanding fully how it works.

I know that we shouldn't generalize, or use references from other illnesses to make the point for scizoprenia being something other than a terrible disease, but there are many cases of Autistic persons possessing genius intelligence. See 'Savant Syndrome'

Not to discount anyone's personal experiences with mental illness, or make light of the suffering of so many people, but there is just so much that we don't understand.

It would be rather arrogant to assume that we could make a blanket classification of almost ANY mental anomaly and have it applicable across the board.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by phi1618

I was only speaking on my experience with some schizophrenics, I do not deny there are debilitating mental illness's in the world, ... however, as complex and misunderstood as the mind can be, perhaps some schizophrenics are misdiagnosed. As well as the possibility that some schizophrenics have other mental illness's present such as dimentia or manic depression.

... as far as the " ..... " goes, I dont know where I get it, maybe when I'm typing fast its a mental pause as I'm thinking of the next sentence, a little strange, .. maybe..... Trademark Me ?? definitely.

join