It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rep. Carolyn Maloney Apologizes Over N-word Slip

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Rep. Carolyn Maloney, a Democrat from New York, is apologizing for using the n-word while retelling a story intended to damage her opponent. All she's managed to do is damage her own chances.

"I apologize for having repeated a word I find disgusting," Maloney said in a statement. "It's no excuse, but I was so caught up in relaying the story exactly as it was told to me that, in doing so, I repeated a word that should never be repeated."

Maloney's aides say she will proceed with plans to formally announce her candidacy next week for the U.S. Senate seat held by Kirsten Gillibrand. City Hall, a biweekly publication and political Web site, quoted Maloney criticizing Gillibrand in a story dated July 17:

"I got a call from someone from Puerto Rico, said [Gillibrand] went to Puerto Rico and came out for English-only [education]. And he said, 'It was like saying n-r to a Puerto Rican,' " she said, using the full racial slur. "I don't know -- I don't know if that's true or not. I just called. I'm just throwing that out. All of her -- well, what does she stand for?"

Gillibrand's aides say she opposes English-only education, a controversial issue, particularly among Hispanics.

Though there is no good time for this sort of gaffe, Maloney's came not long before her Monday night New York fundraiser, attended by former President Bill Clinton. At that event, when asked about the incident, Maloney told the New York Daily News, "I issued a statement and the statement speaks for itself."

She also noted, "We are a multi-racial country and we are all working together, moving forward."
www.politicsdaily.com... n-word-slip/?icid=main|main|dl1|link4|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.politicsdaily.com%2F2009%2F07%2F21%2Frep-carolyn-maloney-apologizes-over-n-word-slip%2F
I posted this just to say everyone's just a little to up-tight, she's repeating something someone else said to show his character and she comes under fire for that, if it offends that much maybe they shouldn't say it all the time.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Kind of like Rush Limbaugh getting heat for repeating the liberal LA Times calling Barack a Magic Negro?

She will be OK, she is a Democrat and it's not she called someone a Macaca. Democrats crucified FORMER Republican Senator George Allen for using this derogatory term.

new topics

join