It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it possible that some mystical creatures actually excisted?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2004 @ 11:15 AM
link   
i think dragons and other wierd serpent like creatures still roam our earth. just on different islands of course.

posted on May, 21 2004 @ 11:28 AM
link   
harry potter killed all the mythical creatures

no seriously, i think a lot of them are made up for stories. We do it now, why wouldn't people do it in the past.

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Yes, as a matter of fact there is lots of evidence to support the fact that mythological creatures exist.
for all of those questioning this fact i would recommend this site (especially seminar number 3) he cites many examples of dragons and huge snakes in modern times. These videos certainly changed my beliefs. He is, however, a strong christian activist, but just try to ignore that and listen to the several valid points he makes.

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Native AMerican INdians had stories of the Thunderbird, a Giant Raptor that would carry away unsuspecting children and smaller adults.

lo and behold, the fossils of a hawk with a 20 foot wingspan was found. It seems to have died out a while back, but the stories of what this bird was capable of were apparently true. must have scared the hell out of People..

posted on May, 27 2004 @ 01:57 PM
link   
In my opinion Dragons exist here on this planet but they're in places we can't get to yet

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by el_topo
Even the Bible mentions dragons...

where abouts in the bible is this?

(i'm not doubting you, i just wanna see it for myself
)

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I believe Revelations makes mention of a ten headed dragon.

As to the existence of dragons, while it�s certainly possible that such stories were inspired by our ancestral memory of some species of dinosaur which managed to linger on or even that the beasts of myth really do exist, I think what you have to keep in mind is that the creatures we lumps under the collective term of dragons differ hugely from culture to culture, some describe them as being mostly bird-like, some mostly serpent-like, and in some cultures they are described as being amalgamations of dozens of different animals. Many of these dragons pay little or no resemblance to each other. Just my two pence.

posted on May, 29 2004 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Many times it mentions dragons in the book of Job. Unfortunately if you have an NIV version they changed the word behemoth to hippo or elephant thus eliminating evidance with their stupidity, I would suggest getting a king james version bible to look for dragons and such.
( I highly recommend watching seminar 3 on this website, it talks a lot about creatures such as dragons in the bible and in real life)

posted on May, 29 2004 @ 10:55 PM
link   
thanks for that DRdino

posted on Aug, 5 2004 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by DRdino
Yes, as a matter of fact there is lots of evidence to support the fact that mythological creatures exist.
for all of those questioning this fact i would recommend this site (especially seminar number 3) he cites many examples of dragons and huge snakes in modern times. These videos certainly changed my beliefs. He is, however, a strong christian activist, but just try to ignore that and listen to the several valid points he makes.

Interesting, here you posted pretty much the same message.

well, torwards the bottom of it is my response and my questions.

posted on Aug, 5 2004 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Dragons were indeed real to the early people of Australia.The terrifying 5.5 metre long ripper lizard Weight: 400kg., Megalania.

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Aug, 5 2004 @ 06:53 PM
link   
It might surprise you to know that many myths are retold tales by frightened primitives.
Charybidis was not a creature,but a hole in the sea floor.The draining waters making a whirlpool that some say existed until the 1800's,although greatly diminished.

Scylla? I think,not a multi headed monster,but a pack/pod of pleisosaurs.Each one plucking a man easilly out of these little ships.
Dinosaurs linguered on here and there. therefore our stories of monsters,dragons (pterodactyls) and giants.

[edit on 5-8-2004 by stgeorge]

posted on Aug, 5 2004 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Oh yes.sea faring was terribly risky in those days,and you dare not leave the shoals. Some creatures even ventured on land to hunt.That is the reason (one of them) for massive stone walls errected in predilvian times.

posted on Aug, 5 2004 @ 07:18 PM
link   
I too believe that most mythical creatures existed to a point.
throughout the years lots of myths and so-called exagerated stories have been proven to have been based on factual incidents. the two most recent examples that come to mind are the Giant Panda of China and the Highland Gorillas of Africa. Both of them were thought to be mythical creatures for years in western culture. Now we know that they are truly actual beautiful animals and that the myths of those cultures were true.
I am not saying that all mythical creatures or myths in general are real creatures or real historical events, but I do believe that many of them are based on true events and actual creatures only maybe they were exaggerated or misunderstood. Historians thought that the story and city of TROY were merely fantasy for centuries only to be proven that TROY did exist and was most likely destroyed like in the legend. I think science should be a little more accepting of these kinds of things and not just write them off as false and actually take time and look into the myths with an open mind and try to make an honest effort to find the answers. but I am afraid that its real hard to change what has already been accepted as scientific fact for fear of ridicule by the scientific community that has taken the stance that if thats what the books say , then its gospel.

posted on Aug, 5 2004 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Well Kraken is in many anchient myths and legends, but of course we all know that the giant squid exists and carcasses of these massive creatures wash on various shores of the world every year. How long will it be until we can finally see or get video of a living giant squid I wonder?

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 12:06 AM
link   
not saying i believe this but- the sumarians believed aliens created humans by genetically combing their dna with anamals, sort of. i think there were some creations made before they settled on humans. this could be what the greeks were talking about with animals like the half man/half bull or many others. there are many accounts of different cultures putting a different spin on the same thing, this could be another such case.

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 02:07 AM
link   
I think things seen today such as Nessie etc, maybe what is termed Jungian archetypes, a term used by Carl Jung, his theory was that at some level we all share a collective subconsciousness that has retained all the racial and folk memories since the human race emerged with all the things encountered, maybe as someone pointed out, as mankind emerged and other animals died off there was a period of interaction and some of these creatures might have been similar to dragons, bigfoot etc. They stayed in the collective memory which is why so many myths from differing cultures have similarities. The theory also goes that sometimes in certain states of awareness we can access these archetypes and imprint them onto our reality, which is why we never seem to find physical proof as in one sense they are not physically real although they may come from another reality.

posted on Aug, 6 2004 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Well, we know that single horned animals do, and did exist, so a horse or horselike one existing at a given time, is not an outrageous idea. I personally think that yes, at one time, creatures similar to the common depiction of a unicorn did exist...

Likewise, some dragons DO exist (Komodo, etc.) ;D and that one in the post above (yikes!) Again, not so hard to believe that even larger reptiles, might have been the basis of such legends, but that do not exist today.

It's my guess that if they did exist in the middle ages, they were likely scarce at the time (which is what gave them magical abilities in the public perception). Because of this, they were likely quickly hunted to extinction for their use in medicines, potions, etc.

posted on Oct, 25 2004 @ 04:33 PM
link   
first, what do you do to those things that are not understandable and often kill your kids? (or have the reputation of killing kids.) You kill it first, lol...no wonder so many animals are extinct, lol...

anyway: Giant humans and hairy humans are very real. You cross those with eachother, what do you get?
There's all sorts of stories and other things about people being 9ft+ tall

posted on Oct, 26 2004 @ 02:54 AM
link   
when people talk about these legends, myths, etc.

What annoys me the most when people discuss this, they look at say, Magellan's writings on the Emperor's chariot drawn by dragons, people look at this and they act as if people before our modern times were complete idiots, coming up with silly excuses such as "oh well they must have looked at a crocodile and said it was a dragon", even though the way they describe such dragons for example could not possibly have been crocodiles or snakes. Just things like this annoy me, when people act as if everybody before the year 1800 was a complete ****ing idiot, just because they were at a lesser stage of technology.

Also, to marg6043, you said your 3 year old child saw a chicken and called it a monster, I don't believe this is a valid comparison to what a fully grown person of say 30 years would do. If YOU, at your current age, had never seen a chicken before, I highly doubt you would call it a monster. People back then did not have the minds of 3 year old children.

[edit on 26-10-2004 by Yazman]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join