It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are We All Pretty Much Convinced We Are Not Alone?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I have to ask, seems like the majority of members believe we are not alone. Well with all the nasa ufo videos and moon anomolies, how can we be alone?

Who ever made this universe would be pretty stupid to make one species and one life bearing planet. Seems like a waste of space too me. People always ask why don't they land? Maybe they don't feel like landing yet. Someday I think they will.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Well...I wouldn't say convinced per say....But defiantly a believer. A believer that the government is not telling us everything, a believer that our news and media are being controlled to reflect or hide certain views and evidence.

As for everybody else....don't really know.

[edit on 20-7-2009 by Overload]

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Chovy

A majority is right, but not all. I for one am a believer and will continue to try and prove existance and am happy to do so.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chovy
I have to ask, seems like the majority of members believe we are not alone.

I think so. I have yet to see another member who doubts we are alone; whether or not they are coming here is a different matter.

Originally posted by Chovy
Who ever made this universe would be pretty stupid to make one species and one life bearing planet. Seems like a waste of space too me.

I don't think it is stupid at all. We have to consider the possibility. There have to being things that are unique in the universe and it could be our little place in the cosmos is one such thing.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 11:50 PM
link   
I'm just trying to imagine an intelligent species, cruising through the cosmos, seeing our planet, and have a conversation.

Glorb: "Hey, that looks like a nice place to stop. Want to check it out?"

Betty: "Are you nuts? Look how primitive they are! They probably haven't even discovered E=MC(cubed)! Plus, I doubt their bathrooms are clean."

Glorb: "Well, honey, your mother's bathrooms aren't much better."

Betty: "I get so sick and tired about you saying things about my mother. She warned me not to marry you!"

Kids in the backseat: "Are we there yet? Are we there yet?"

What could we teach such an advanced and intelligent species? Their mastery of intergalactic travel has us so outpaced, that it would be pointless.
And if they still have mother-in-law issues, well then, what could we learn from them?

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by mikerussellus

Gotta admit that was purty durn funneh!

Someone said it best above... the question really should not be "are we alone?" but more, "are they here?" lol

I'm convinced they're out there, at the very least. Here? Without definitive proof, it's not wise to say 100%. Just as it's not wise to say 100% they're NOT here.

Personally, I think so. THINK so. My opinion. Still open minded and up for 100% though

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Jomina

True.

What I wanted to do (in a fun way) was to show that why would they WANT to bother with us? Hell, we fight, kill, eat animals, drink (gotta love that), and pollute.
As a planet, we are a mess.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 12:03 AM
link   
I, for one am convinced we aren't alone. Why? Because of the mind boggling size of the universe

This is Earth 6 billion kilometres (3.7 billion miles) away taken in 1990 by Voyager 1.

This is us in the the Milky Way galaxy. Just one of hundreds of billions of galaxies in the universe.

This is the Hubble Deep Field photo taken by the Hubble Space Telescope between December 18 and December 28, 1995.

This is what we see when zoomed into the outlined area of the photo. Almost all of the 3,000 objects in the image are galaxies.

In those galaxies there are suns, orbiting around some of those suns are planets. With hundreds of billions of galaxies with hundreds of billions of planets, there has gotta be some sort of life. There just has to be.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by tim1989

Absolutely , the universe must be teeming with life seeing the vastness of it all .

I guess the question is , are they really visiting us here on earth ?
Lots of sightings ,cases videos & photos experiences would seem to back that up .
But I'm still a sceptic on whether or not they are flesh and blood sentient beings or not .
Technically fallen angels are aliens , in my humble opinion thats what a lot of ufo/alien phenomena is related to .
But who knows for sure ?
Prolly no one

link   
reply to post by Jomina

I think there is no chance in "snip" that we are alone! I believe they are here, no I don’t have any proof, but if they are advanced enough to get here from either a distant star system, different dimension, whatever it may be, I do not think we will ever have solid proof unless they choose to give it to us.

link   
great photos. that about sums it up.
kind of like my avy. life is everywhere in space and oceans alike.
i'll cast a vote for "not alone".

[edit on 7/21/2009 by zooplancton]

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Then the question becomes, what do we have to do (as a species) to either get their attention, and communicate or get them to even acknowlege us?

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Another important question to ask would be, "have we ever BEEN alone here?"

Instead of saying "extra terrestrial intelligences", maybe we should be saying "non-human intelligences". I'm pretty convinced that a number of the cetaceans on our planet have evolved similarly to us, some of them separated from each other like us to primates...

Check into studies being done on dolphin intelligence, and check out their brain mass, density, etc compared to ours. Amazing stuff.

Hell, they've been around a lot longer than us and have had a chance to evolve quite a bit more than we have... for all I know, they genetically engineered us!
lol wouldn't that be a gas?

So long and thanks for all the fish, indeed!

EDIT: By the way, not trying to make the thread a joke. I am serious about checking into cetacean intelligence studies going on.

Maybe if we ARE being visited by non-human intelligences from other places, they see how we are treating another intelligent species on our own planet, and just might be thinking to themselves, "why SHOULD we introduce ourselves? Let's just watch and see what happens here..."

[edit on 21-7-2009 by Jomina]

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 12:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Jomina

I once had an argument with someone about dolphins. I said that they couldn't have been smarter than us because all they do is eat, play, and have sex.

Then I thought about it, and if they were evolved, what would they want to do?

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 01:12 AM
link   
There is no doubt in my mind that there is life out there, from bacteria to sentient beings that have evolved far past us. The only real question IMO is whether or not we're being visited. I happen to believe we are and have been for quite some time, possibly longer than we (mankind) have been here. What our governments may or may not be hiding is another topic altogether. Without solid proof that the masses can get behind though the whole subject boils down to faith.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by mikerussellus
reply to post by Jomina

I once had an argument with someone about dolphins. I said that they couldn't have been smarter than us because all they do is eat, play, and have sex.

Then I thought about it, and if they were evolved, what would they want to do?

Sounds to me like they're pretty dang far ahead of us, then

I think it's a step back on the evolutionary ladder to constantly worry about death, food, and whether or not joe blow down the street has more bling than you do.

Shouldn't we be past all that, if we were that far ahead of the scale?

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I think everyone knows we aren't alone. For someone to say were not alone in this universe is ridiculous.

The real question is if they (whoever they are) ever visited Earth...

i say yes.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Consider this.

Your lawn- Teeming with life.

Your City - Teeming with life.

Your State - Teeming with life.

Your Country - Teeming with life.

Our Planet - Teeming with life.

Our universe outside our planet - Lifeless.

To think that we are the only forms of life in this universe is somewhat arrogant imo.

The real question is how intelligent that life really is.

We may not know if they are as intelligent as us right now

-but-

we do know that life has had the same amount of time as us to become at least as smart as we are.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I am convinced in the probability of extra-terrestrial life.

I am not convinced in the possibility of INTELLIGENT extra-terrestrial life, but I am genuinely open to the possibility. Personally, I have not seen any evidence that is conclusive or without other rational explanations.

It would be nice for there to be other intelligent extra-terrestrial life in the Universe, but as xenophobic as we already are towards those who are different from us, different religious beliefs, different cultural beliefs, different sexual orientation, different political beliefs, different ideological beliefs, different races, etc. I don't think we are quite evolved enough to be accepting of an intelligent extra-terrestrial species if we aren't tolerant and accepting of people belonging to our own species.

Besides, we aren't alone. I know that an entire Universe exists within me, full of intelligent life. If ever I get lonely I need only meditate and I can meet and come in communication with intelligences that are far stranger than Science Fiction can dream of. The external Universe isn't the only Undiscovered Territory that is available to us.

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by DoomsdayRex
I think so. I have yet to see another member who doubts we are alone; whether or not they are coming here is a different matter.

I'd just like to say that I don't know whether we're alone in the universe or not, but at this particular point in time, it sure looks that way. We have absolutely zero proof that there is life anywhere but here on Earth.

Zero.

A lot of people will bring up the numbers, that there are billions of stars and planets, probably with water on them, and that amino acids form if you hit some chemical combinations with electricity, etc. But amino acids are a long, long way from even a tiny, single-celled organism with a point of view, and that can replicate itself. You can take actual DNA strands and put them in a jar and shake them forever, and you're not going to get life out of that jar.

The fact is, we don't have any idea how life either started or came to Earth in the first place, and unless we know that, we have no idea how probable it might be that it could happen somewhere else. It might be such a fluke that it never happened before, and will never happen again.

It doesn't matter how big the universe is. Here's my balloon analogy again. If you have a box with a red balloon in it, and you have no idea how it got there, what makes you think that if you make the box even bigger that another balloon will just have to be in it somewhere? Like somehow the size of the box will make it magically appear.

The next thing people often say is that life alone in the universe is an "arrogant" way to think. I don't see how. From my perspective, it's pretty sad, and like death, makes all of our efforts and feelings here completely useless and pointless. I'd like to see how that translates into "arrogance."

Anyway, life elsewhere is one of those things were the only thing that will prove it is to find it. Not finding it doesn't mean it's not there. But it doesn't mean it is there, either. Absence of evidence, and all that.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join