It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apollo 11 crew urge mission to Mars

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Apollo 11 crew urge mission to Mars

news.aol.co.uk

The astronauts who first landed on the moon are not dwelling on their small lunar steps.
Instead, two of them are urging mankind to take a giant leap to Mars.
In one of their few joint public appearances, the crew of Apollo 11 spoke on the eve of the 40th anniversary of man's first moon landing.
First man on the moon Neil Armstrong discussed Apollo 11 for about 11 seconds.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Going to Mars would be a great mission,
but would the world believe it?
It would make for exciting viewing.
I wonder if they'd go see the pyramids lol lol
How much info would be disclosed to the public though?
You know what Nasa are like with there secret codes and secure channels, as soon as an anomoly is spotted they'll switch, and the people at home will only see what they want us to see.

news.aol.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I think getting to mars would take a massive effort from all the space countries on earth,imagine what we could achieve.
sadly i feel until we can get on with other countries mars is a long way off

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I don't think there is any point in going there until we plan to build some kind of permanent base or dwelling. Same goes for the moon. We cant simply go there for the sake of exploration any more, there needs to be enough reason for a human to physically be on the moon.

For now, probes, satellites and rovers can do whatever we need done for a fraction of the cost.

but, i think we have the tech, and i think its about time we spread ourselves across the solar system in case we destroy ourselves.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   
As a people, humankind is behind the curve.

Profiteering and racketeering, politics, and ideologies focused on external issues and served only to make all NASA scientific data classified and or proprietary.

We must establish a launch capable station outside the planet or we will go broke trying to send manned-missions to other planets in our solar system.

Much of the expense we incur is about getting in and out of our atmosphere and gravitational well, launching from a permanent space station - or even a moon base would be much more cost effective and bring back into the process of future exploration and endeavors for the benefit of all, not just defense contractors and politicians.

Commerce is good, but too much commerce will destroy the whole planet, along with the good will of the people. Politics is good (I guess) but too much becomes soap-opera intrigue and nonsense that serves only those desiring the glamor of public attention and prestige.

I was surprised to see Neil Armstrong participated. I guess the 11-second duration of his address was telling - of something.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kevin_X2
but, i think we have the tech, and i think its about time we spread ourselves across the solar system in case we destroy ourselves.

The possibility of the earth's destruction is a good reason to be a two-planet species. But it may or may not be man that causes the destruction.

If another planet killer like the one that wiped out the dinosaurs hits the earth, at least the people on Mars would survive and the human race would continue. It's unknown if we will have adequate technology to stop such an impact. While not impossible, it's a lot harder than some people seem to think, especially of the object is rotating, which many of them are.

I vote we go, but I agree that I'm not sure we are ready for manned missions yet.

top topics

join