It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazon Kindle users surprised by 'Big Brother' move

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Amazon Kindle users surprised by 'Big Brother' move

www.guardian.co.uk

Owners of Amazon's Kindle electronic book reader have received a nasty surprise, after discovering that copies of books by George Orwell had been deleted from their gadgets without their knowledge.

The books - downloaded from Amazon.com by American Kindle users - were remotely deleted after what the US company now says was a rights issue regarding the publisher, MobileReference.com.

"These books were added to our catalog using our self-service platform by a third-party who did not have the rights to the books," spokesman Drew Herdener told the Guardian. "When we were notified of this
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   
The article clearly states the customers had paid for the book. Amazon should just have made arrangements to license the books, after all what type of company turns down revenue for old books in an electronic format?

What is even stranger, Amazon quietly accessed customer's Kindles to delete the books. Does not the irony of Amazon's actions strike one like a wet halibut smartly across the face?

How can it be that a retailer takes back something it has already sold in good faith without first seeking permission from the buyers. The only authority that can take back anything without permission in a situation like this is the police or through the court if the estate of the aurther decides upon this tack.

I suspect that the manufacturer of Kindle may sue Amazon for rendering their product unreliable. I know I will never buy one.

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 053131p://pm3110 by masonwatcher]

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   

new topics

join