It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does US decadence surpass that of Ancient Rome?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Or Babylon?

I'd say yes, especially given the internet, what is considered socially acceptable, and the new forms of "pharmaceutical entertainment" these days. Its all about zapping the old pleasure center and we are applying science as well as raw muscle to the task these days.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I'd say decadence is the same everywhere but the romans didn't know much other that making war and controlling the people. Our technology is way more advanced so our mistakes will have bigger consequences.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Well until I can daily go to public Orgies, take daily visits to the Vomitorium, and watch Christians being fed to hungry lions in the Colosseum on my lunch hour, and our government forces the Upper Class Matriarchs to prostitute themselves in Brothels, then I'd have to say "No, the decadence of the United States has not yet eclipsed that of Rome or of Babylon."

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Our food alone makes our lifestyle more decadent than the richest of Romans could ever have hoped for.

Kind of makes me want to go to McDonald's and get a southern style chicken sandwich and a BBQ snack wrap just thinking about it

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by fraterormus

Fraterormus for president 2012!!!!

but i totally agree with you.

i say no. we have more ways to indulge i guess, but i would have to see gladitorial combat before i even consider america to have even come close to rome.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by townio

I think thats 100% incorrect...

just pointing out a few facts... nearly ever roman citizen had working plumming in their house upstairs and down.... the romans were also amazing architects (as seen by their uses of arcs and aquaducts.) a huge warring empire such as the roman empire could only be sustained by an amazing foundation of thinkers and problems solvers

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I'd say yes

America guzzles our worlds resources and pollutes the atmosphere more than any other country

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by lifecitizen
I'd say yes

America guzzles our worlds resources and pollutes the atmosphere more than any other country

uhh.... china?

2nd line

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   
yeah maybe china comes close to you guys now-

I just saw another thread here saying China wants other countries to pay for some of their emissions, I'd have to agree we buy all their junk, no demand no supply

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Armisteadmg42
reply to post by townio

I think thats 100% incorrect...

just pointing out a few facts... nearly ever roman citizen had working plumming in their house upstairs and down.... the romans were also amazing architects (as seen by their uses of arcs and aquaducts.) a huge warring empire such as the roman empire could only be sustained by an amazing foundation of thinkers and problems solvers

lol, well I didn't say the romans where hunter-gatherers did I?
Still you can't compare roman technology with ours, not even that of the 19th century. Their empire was base on conquest and cheap labor. Their great "thinkers" were military tacticians that gained access to rome by proving their worth on the battlefield. Romans had a puddle of water coming inside their home via a pipe, big deal. That didn't prevent the breakdown of the empire.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by townio

the fact that those pipes were lead probably helped the downfall a little..

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by fraterormus

Or really anyone being fed to lions.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   
No, but we probably would be if you took away the jewish and christian roots of those in power here. Rome had much more blatant homosexuality, open sexual relationships with children were accepted, and they had orgy-parties all the time. Bellemia was a common practice (throwing up on purpose after a meal) and accepted as normal. They entertained themselves with atrocious acts of violence in the gladiator arenas (only it was real, not movie FX)

So I'd say were not quite as bad, but close.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by wx4caster

Originally posted by lifecitizen
I'd say yes

uhh.... china?

2nd line

I think China produces similar amounts of Carbon Dioxide as America. The difference being China contains 1/5 of the world population, America does not.
America using about 25% of th worlds resources. It is far bigger polluter.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   
We have definitely surpassed the decadence of ancient rome.

We have automobiles, devices that allow us to travel miles upon miles without ever standing up.

We are able to have prepared food within a minute or two of wanting it, be it fast food or microwaveable things.

People have less societal obligations than ever before, we're swimming in a sea of gluttony, it's really important to swim up and take a breath of fresh air every once in a while.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by ELECTRICkoolaidZOMBIEtest
the fact that those pipes were lead probably helped the downfall a little..

Lead pipes are usually fine after they have been in the ground for nearly a year and remain undisturbed - the reason being a layer of calcification builds up very rapidly on the inside - the water does not actually contact the lead.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Wiki has a nice little piece on decadence. en.wikipedia.org...

We (USA) probably trail behind ancient Rome in some categories but we're catching up in a hurry if not surpassing it in others. The "corrosive decline" angle would be the first to come to mind for me.

As far as the Colosseum antics, we've done just as bad without putting it on display. Remember no tv then, they would sometimes recreate their victories as well as use it for political statements. One could argue the Romans were more honest about who they were.

All in all I'd say it depends on your point of view, flip a coin.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 08:44 PM
link   
I wouldn't say it's only the US. I'd say western civilisation as a whole is inhibiting a moral and physical decadence far outwaying that of ancient rome.
The reason rome fell is because it had to many foreign races in it, mainly the germans, who in the end destroyed the western empire. We should realise the mistakes of the romans and make sure that we don't make the same. End mass immigration now!

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by townio

I'm not attempting to compare our tech with theirs directly... you cant go about it that way. You need to compare their technology with their time. The Roman empire was one of the greatest empires ever. can you even say anything like that about the united states? The romans were easily the most advanced nation of their day... unlike us who (this can be debated i guess) are falling behind / already feel behind china. as far as you saying there were no great thinkers in rome your wrong once again. do some research on cicero and marcus aurelius.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by fraterormus
Well until I can daily go to public Orgies, take daily visits to the Vomitorium, and watch Christians being fed to hungry lions in the Colosseum on my lunch hour, and our government forces the Upper Class Matriarchs to prostitute themselves in Brothels, then I'd have to say "No, the decadence of the United States has not yet eclipsed that of Rome or of Babylon."

All of that is possible to experience in Manhattan today, except maybe the lions. You might have to take a trip on your jet for that one...I hear there is a thriving fight-to-the-death underground gladitorial league sponsored by the Russian mob and the Colombians...I'm sure you could pay to sit next to some blood-spattered trophy blonde and watch a lion tear somebody to pieces.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join