It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who was the first known king or queen?

page: 1

join
share:
CX

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Having kids is an endless learning curve for me, as they are constantly asking questions that test me to the limit.

Tonight we have been watching a documentary about Louis XlV and Versailles, and my eldest looked up and asked who was the very first king or queen?

I am no historian, so my best effort would have been to guess at the antient Egyptians. So i thought i'd ask those more knowledgable here.

It led onto quite a good discussion considering they are only 10 and 11. They asked how the first king or queen would have been picked? This i struggled with too. Going back thousands of years ago, would they have been known as "leaders" or "rulers" rather than kings or queens?

Would it have been the more powerfull of people, strength and fighting-wise i mean, who would have become kings, and then his wife automatically became the first known queen?

I think back to the stone age, the hierarchy would have probably been down to the strongest and best hunters/fighters yes? At what point did someone think about the terms "royalty?

Thank you for any advice on this, i am as interested now as my little ones lol.

I have looked on Google but apart from British kings and queens, i'm even more confused than before.

CX.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

Here's a list of Sumerian kings at Wikipedia:
en.wikipedia.org...

That's the earliest you can get at the moment. Previous to that, there were most definitely tribal leaders, or people who wielded a great deal of power in their area. Don't know of a catalog, but I'm sure one of the Archaeology buffs can point you in a better direction.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   
sorry to one up you my friend. but the earliest known queen resided a long long time ago in a galxy far away.
Princess Amidala of the Naboo system.
:
:

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   
The very first King was Tronk. He had proclaimed himself King over all the people of Earth. There were only 46 of them at the time.
Tronk was the largest of all the Ughs. And when he grunted people would listen.

CX

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by RuneSpider
reply to post by CX

Here's a list of Sumerian kings at Wikipedia:
en.wikipedia.org...

That's the earliest you can get at the moment. Previous to that, there were most definitely tribal leaders, or people who wielded a great deal of power in their area. Don't know of a catalog, but I'm sure one of the Archaeology buffs can point you in a better direction.

Thanks for that, much appreciated.

As for the other two replies....cheers

CX.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   
id have to say a "king" of sumer would be the first.... mhmm

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 08:01 PM
link   
No one will ever know whom the first king was, but it was likely someone from the middle/near east and would have been associated with the first cities.

But the first king I could dig through my limited search is the egyptian king Scorpion I,
thats bright there was a Scorpion King,

Scorpion I

He is believed to have lived in Thinis one or two centuries before the rule of the better known King Scorpion of Nekhen. To him belongs the U-j tomb found in the royal cemetery of Abydos where Thinite kings were buried. That tomb was plundered in antiquity, but in it were found many small ivory plaques, each with a hole for tying it to something, and each marked with one or more hieroglyph-type scratched images which are thought to be names of towns, perhaps to tie to offerings and tributes to keep track of which came from which town. Two of those plaques seem to name the Delta towns Baset and Buto, showing that Scorpion's armies had penetrated the Nile Delta. It may be that the conquests of Scorpion started the Egyptian hieroglyphic system by starting a need to keep records and information in writing.

This was just a few centuries before the first know sumerian kings

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

The oldest continuing monarchy is Japan. The claim is the Emperor is a direct descendant of the Sun Goddess.

en.wikipedia.org...

As they find older settlements in the Indus Valley, I am sure they will find very ancient tombs of royalty. Sumeria is not the only place civilization developed.

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 05:32 AM
link   
reply to post by kidflash2008

The japanese are way late comers to the realm of divine rule.
The indus valley civilizations are comtemporaries to the sumerians and the egyptians.
The evidence of scorpion I being the impetuous for the development of writing in egypt is pretty good and it does predate almost every other known kings by several centuries.
But the fact that scorpion I was able to raise an army to penetrate the nile delta from upper egypt, indicates that there was already some form of central rule in place by 3000 bce. Raising an army shows that he a was in control of a diverse population of different "tribes" who would be subject to his rule.

top topics

join