It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Killer storms in the American heartland?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   
There is a cold air mass moving south from Canada/Great Lakes region and when it hits the warm/hot air in Mid America, I expect tornado's/thunderstorms/flooding that could be of epic proportions this summer.

As a farm owner in Texas [cotton]; I pay very close attention to the weather as a large part of my livelihood depends on it. I had hoped to finally harvest a crop without severe hail damage like has happened in the past couple of years. Odds are, hail storms are on their way for next week.

I am not a soothsayer or psychic but I have a real bad feeling for the end of July.

Be aware and be safe all you folks in the Great Plains.

www.accuweather.com...

www.dryday.com...

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

I'm in WI and it was low 60s yesterday. Strange! We had to wear sweaters last night.

Today it's 65, still chilly; definitely no where close to normal summer temps.

My AccuWeather launch thingy says "Cloudy with possible few showers". Do you think it could turn out to be more?

BTW, Thursday and Friday clouds were amazing. Very low and very dark. Very dark! Only they didn't drop much for rain. We've got some low and dark clouds today as well.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   
A little late on that.

In the Midwest we've already had several hail storms/thunder storms a few tornado watches and a couple warnings.

The last storm I was in a couple weeks ago we had baseball size hail.

We have one river that's been flooding for close to a month now.

Oh and it's unusually chilly for this time of year. Normally we would see 90's around this time right now we're seeing 60's and 70's and after looking at the forecast this summer may never even reach 90 degrees where I'm at.

No one here is surprised by it though we pretty much expected it as the weather cycles like this on what seems like a 7-8 year cycle. Or in other words about 7-8 years from now it will be blistering hot here with very little rain. A lot of farmers here who keep track of this stuff so they know what crop to plant for the following year. Otherwise they would have a heck of a time if they just willy nilly planted whatever whenever.

[edit on 18-7-2009 by Darthorious]

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   
If any of you would like to move them storm systems here to Phoenix Arizona, I will gladly take them. 115 degrees expected tomorrow, gotta shower twice a day to combat swamp ass.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Darthorious

A little late on that.

Perhaps, but this is just the beginning of what I feel will be a weather cycle that will see many deaths and enormous property damage due to flooding/tornadoes and huge storms dumping so much rain that the rivers will overflow and result in disasters in many low lying areas.

www.weather.com...

As that low pressure system works it way west; look out!!

Darthorious, I hope you and your family aren't affected.

[edit on 18-7-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by SourGrapes

Im over in MN. We had a few tornados last week and i think the week before it was hot as hell, now its like 60-70's. Im wearin my hoody right now. We had those dark low hangin clouds around here to, took a few pics with my cell phone.Just took a look outside and we got them again today. Also,yesterday evening I saw some clouds that were glowing electric blue . very weird...

PEACE!!!

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
here in montana we are in the mid 90's to low 100's which is unusual for this time of year, we normaly only get a week or two of high high temp's..

it is quite the odd year for weather... although i hope our cooler weather comes back soon, i'm not a fan of the extreme heat. Id take the cold any day, give me snow....

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by SourGrapes
reply to post by whaaa

I'm in WI and it was low 60s yesterday. Strange! We had to wear sweaters last night.

Today it's 65, still chilly; definitely no where close to normal summer temps.

My AccuWeather launch thingy says "Cloudy with possible few showers". Do you think it could turn out to be more?

BTW, Thursday and Friday clouds were amazing. Very low and very dark. Very dark! Only they didn't drop much for rain. We've got some low and dark clouds today as well.

Yes, I was admiring those clouds the last few days. I live down in the southeastern part of Wisconsin (Milwaukee area) Right now it's about 65 degrees F, had the weird clouds earlier this morning, now it's just a thick blanket of low darker clouds.

Odd weather for this area, normally it's a lot more warmer and humid. But I can't complain.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Here in Iowa it has been way unseasonably cold. last night it got down to 53 degree's in the middle of July. I'd say for about a week now it has been cloudy an cold considering it's supposed to be one of the hottest months of the summer.

I don't know if its meteorological correct to state, but i wonder what kind of storms/ hurricanes could be produced if this cold air mass was to hit the gulf coast?

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by highfreq
I don't know if its meteorological correct to state, but i wonder what kind of storms/ hurricanes could be produced if this cold air mass was to hit the gulf coast?

From what I've seen the hurricanes usually form in the Gulf or further out in the Atlantic; But it's the tornado's that could wreak havoc all along where the two air masses meet.

Here in the high desert rockies the weather is very nice, but as I look north there are some huge anvil shaped thunderheads forming. Last night there was an incredible lightning show in the Jemez mts.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Last night there was an incredible lightning show in the Jemez mts.

Ah yes the lightning. i always marvel at a good lightning storm. Although I understand the science of why lightning happens it always seems so magical to watch.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

I feel for you and your crops. I know what you mean about the hail. I'm in southern Colorado and it seems the rain/hail is going to be with us all summer. It's usually pretty dry & hot. I lost my vegie garden last year to a 45 minute long hail storm, I timed it.

I've got a hail proof net strung over my garden this year. There's not a whole lot you can do to protect a large farming operation. Seeing your hard work gone in a flash is so awful. I sure hope the hail misses you this year.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Perhaps our global warming has postponed the next Ice age. As long as it stays warm enough here in florida for me to hit the beach life is good!

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ratphour

Where in SE area are you? I'm in Waukesha County, New Berlin actually.

Did you see the report for next week? Looks like it'll be very stormy Wednesday through the following Monday (at least). Perhaps this is what OP was talking about?

Whaa, are you looking at a current front or one that's moving in next week?

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by SourGrapes

The front that concerns me the most is the cold air mass coming down from the north.

This one.....www.wunderground.com...

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by SourGrapes
reply to post by ratphour

Where in SE area are you? I'm in Waukesha County, New Berlin actually.

Did you see the report for next week? Looks like it'll be very stormy Wednesday through the following Monday (at least). Perhaps this is what OP was talking about?

Whaa, are you looking at a current front or one that's moving in next week?

I live by the Lake, near the airport in Milwaukee. I actually snapped some pics yesterday of those clouds, rain clouds that wouldn't drop any rain.

I like the stormy weather, good sleeping weather for me, since I work 3rd shift. I liked last summer, the weather was wild, had lots of rains/t-storms in the first half of summer. Looks like it's a 30% chance of T-Storms from Wed-Sat.

Are these the type of clouds you had out in New Berlin?

Skywatching - 07/18/09

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
www.accuweather.com...

So much for my weather predicting abilities.

Apparently the mid America region is experiencing temperate weather currently and the buffer between the cold and warm air is keeping the storms at bay.

Beautiful but warm here in the High Desert Rockies.

Nice time for a BBQ.

namaste
whaaa

top topics

join