It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook breaches Canadian privacy law: commissioner

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I found this while reading the Metro newspaper at the restaurant. So i searched for the article on internet and found it.

Link to source

Last Updated: Thursday, July 16, 2009 | 3:20 PM ET

Facebook shares its users' personal information with developers who create games and quizzes in a way that breaches Canadian privacy law, the Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada has found.

The popular social networking site, which is used by 12 million Canadians and 200 million people worldwide, also keeps personal information indefinitely after users deactivate their accounts, contrary to the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act, says the report released Thursday by assistant privacy commissioner Elizabeth Denham.

Link to source

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I guess after reading that article that privacy seems important to our goverment here in Canada. It is true that the very nature of Facebook is personal information on users worldwide. Also, from the article, Facebook said it would introduce new privacy features that they believe "will keep the site at the forefront of user privacy and address any remaining concerns the commission may have." Hopefully, Facebook will comply. There's no telling what our goverment will do if they don't comply....

To complete this post, here's part of the first comment from users on the link i provided.

"Facebook went into my email accounts and sent off emails to all of my friends asking them to join Facebook. I must have allowed them to although I don't remember checking that off anywhere.
So.....in the next few days, facebook starts sending 'reminder emails' to all of the people on my list reminding them that they haven't joined facebook.
very tacky."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I can't wait to see what will happen next with this story. On a personal note, i will never open an account there, privacy settings are way too low...

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
I closed my acct in March of 2007.

They probably still have most of my info but that was in the earlier days of Facebook.... and it was fairly vague.

Not only do they breach privacy law, it's also an excellent ground for predatory psychos.

Trust me,

I know.

Enjoy Fecebook addicts.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Well, i know a lot of people that use Facebook, and i don'r mind at all. It's just that for me, there's no way i'm gonna use their service, at any time, whatsoever.

new topics

join