It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I ran a red light and they don't accept cash - HELP!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Little One

lol, ya I'm about to call them right now, just have to crack open a beer first so I can chill out a bit...

Oh and FYI: I'm a guy

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   
2 things...

1- Are you SURE you have to pay it?

Reason I ask, is some states have laws that state you must be served in person with the ticket. Here in Arizona, we have TONS of traffic cameras, both red-light and speed cameras.

I *know someone* whom has had at least 6 of these tickets, and never paid a dime.

Look into it.

2- If all else fails, pay the $3.00 or whatever it is for the money order, and put $3.00 less than they are asking for on the money order.

Write a little note and send it off with it that states something to the effect of
"Here is the fee you've asked for, minus the charges accrued for getting a money order, as you refuse to accept legal tender, and have nowhere stated that I must cover the additional fee's for a money order on my own, outside of the scope of the ticket."

That's what I would do anyways, but I love pissing these people off.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Phre0nBurn

I love your second option!

It would be interesting to tangle with them over the 3 bucks!

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
lol, that would be great, short them the 3 dollars hehe...

I called the FBPD and asked the clerk for help and she transfered me to a detective. He didn't answer so I left a message and I am now waiting for a call back.

I will update everyone when I hear back...

For now its off to do yard work... I need cash, lol

[edit on 17-7-2009 by XTexan]

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   
LOL atleast you didnt get your redlight ticket in Southlake. They kindly ask you to pay in person. Which I found to be highly annoying and useless. Glad you got your situation sorted.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by XTexan

Sorry 'dude'! lol

Even with a nick like 'Little One' everyone still assumes me to be a dude. I just roll with it.

Hugs and kisses then! Course Ill hug and kiss a hot chick too if anyone around here needs some love. HA!

Ok - better take my meds before I get into trouble.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   
If you have an account put some cash in and get them to make you a cheque. It's just called a bankers cheque in England. They'll make it payable to whoever you want.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by and14263

I believe their called cashier's checks her in the states, and if I remember right they cost more than money orders...

Still waiting on that callback to see if my Government will accept its own legal tender... I know the dollar is weak, but sheesh!

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Ok, so I'm also chatting about it on a legal forum that I go to for advise sometimes and their saying that I have a 3rd party ticket.

Its a ticket that a private corporation writes on behalf of the city. And since their a private corporation they don't have to take cash...

This is getting deep...

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Legal tender for all debts, public and private.

Take it to court.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Symbiote

Yep! I would die before I paid it ANY other way. Id tie it up in court just to do it!

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by XTexan

Oh I get so annoyed when places wont take cash. I use to drive an hour to and from work and one night I didnt want to drive home since it was almost 3am...Well I went to a hotel, which was the Raddison, and they wouldnt take cash! I looked at the guy and was completely shocked. I had at least 500 in cash and the room was 100 and he said they didnt take cash and that I had to use a credit card. I dont own credit cards for a reason so I didnt have one! I have a debit card which I only put money on to pay bills with. I dont do credit period. If I dont have cash I dont need it. The guy was so rude to me because I didnt have a credit card yet I am sitting there with a stack of cash ready to pay for a room. I drove around for about an hour trying to find a hotel that would take cash! I live on the beach and it amazed me how many hotels dont take cash. I finally stayed at some little hole in the wall because they took cash.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by XTexan

Deny, deny, deny everything.

I mean, if you have time for it, make them prove everything.

Are you sure there is no chance whatsoever that the characters on the license-plate in the photo aren't too pixellated to be ascertained with complete certainty?

Maybe someone took your vehicle without your knowledge, and went out joyriding, before bringing it back.

You sure your vehicle isn't missing any gasoline?

Heck, maybe someone was coming up from behind whomever was allegedly driving your alleged vehicle with your alleged license plate, and they had to run the red-light in order to avoid being rear-ended.

Sure that all may seem unlikely, but not completely impossible right?

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by XTexan

Were you on a cell phone when you ran that red light?

Just curious.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Maybe this is why?

www.raynetoday.com...

Five thousand dollars in fines were found to be missing from the books.
Mayor Susie Lagneaux began the investigation when she asked Johnfore’s replacement, Conrad Chapman, to look closer at the police funds.
The missing money included fines that were issued in 2008 and part of 2009 and there is no evidence that the fines were ever processed by the department

BTW is anyone else noticing an extreme increase of ticket writing going on? I live near an Interstate and you can't travel 10 miles without seeing a cop having someone pulled over or staked out.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Whatever payment method you decide on be sure to get an accurate receipt and put it a away in a safe place.

I got a parking ticket several years ago in a small town I worked in. I paid $35 in cash the following day. After a month or two I got a letter stating a warrant for my arrest had been issued and in fact had been in effect since my "failure to appear." I could have been stopped for a tail light or something and been dragged off to jail.

Thank God I kept my receipt. It makes me wonder if someone didn't pocket the $35 I paid. It all went away when I presented my receipt. I will tell you I would have been extremely p!$$&% if I would have been stopped & taken to jail on my way to work. I would have sued someone. So keep your receipts anytime you pay a ticket.

I never thought a warrant would be issued for a non-moving violation?? Good luck. Don't trust anyone who accepts your payment. Get a good accurate receipt maybe have them sign it. It could prevent future trouble.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Printed on the front face of the $1.00 bill, which I am looking at right now, are the following words:

"This note is legal tender for all debts, public and private"

It's in the upper left quadrant.

In order for the federal reserve to function as a monetary system, this must be enforced. You can pay any debt (which includes an attempt to purchase, a monetary sum owed, or a governmental fine) with cash, and it is illegal for the merchant/debtor to refuse to accept the cash as payment. If you attempt to pay in cash, and the payment is refused, the debt is legally erased. In simpler terms, if you attempt to pay the ticket in cash, and that payment is refused because it is in cash, you no longer owe the fine.

That's the good news; this is the bad news:

It is legal for any governmental office to establish guidelines for payment (such as hours during which payment will be accepted or locations where payment will be accepted). It is also notoriously difficult to prove you attempted to pay in cash, since it can become your word vs. their word (and they work for the same government that the judge works for). If you attempt to pay in cash, and it is refused, then your only recourse is to appear in court, plead guilty (or no contest), and demand that the fine be dismissed due to the fact that a legal payment attempt was made. To successfully do so, you will have to prove that you were there with cash to pay the fine, and that the payment was refused because you attempted to tender it in cash. An acceptable defense for the court could simply be that you did not have correct change and they could not make change due to a lack of on-hand cash! Another would be that no one there has any recollection of you showing up and attempting to pay. A witness to the event would help, but then how hard would it be to say that your witness is a friend who is lying to help you out? Very easy.

Since there are written rules that state cash is acceptable, my suggestion would be to go ahead and try to pay in cash. Plano is not that far from Farmer's Branch. All they can do is refuse, and if you are adamant about the legal ramifications, chances are that someone will be insecure enough in their job to go ahead and take the cash. If not, and if you are really serious about paying in cash, simply go to court and explain your position to the judge, including the fact that you have the ready cash on hand to pay the fine. All court proceedings are recorded on transcript that become part of the public records. If you still have trouble, simply pay the fine the best way you can and start visiting attorneys. Someone will be looking to create a name for themselves and will be more than happy to make it on your case.

Probably what will happen is that they will take the cash, complain about it, tell you to bring a check next time, and forget about it. It happens all the time with companies who try to 'modernize' their operation by only taking credit cards, and every time someone shows up to pay in that old-fashioned cash and screw up that wonderfully idiotic and illegal business plan. It's a glorious thing to see, even more glorious when it is me doing it.

Oh, and before you start thinking you can attempt to buy something, be refused for having only cash, and simply take your purchase because you were refused, it doesn't actually work like that. The reality is that you will be accused (and probably convicted) of shoplifting. Your only recourse in this case would be to call an attorney to force the clerk to sell you that $1.00 soft drink for cash. Try it sometime; you'll have a great time listening to legal secretaries laugh at you.

TheRedneck

Edit to add:
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Most hotels and car rental places don't take cash because with credit cards they have an open door to your funds should there be any damage to their equipment/property. Usually if you press hard enough, they will admit that they do take cash, but require a prohibitive deposit to cover any potential damages. Read the fine print on the sign-in agreement and you will see it authorizes the hotel to make charges to your credit card to cover any damage or extra charges discovered after you check out. Can anyone say "blank check"?

I don't have credit cards either. For that very reason.

TheRedneck

[edit on 7/18/2009 by TheRedneck]

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Maybe its cuz you dont have the mark of the beast!

Or maybe it's because the dollar is becoming worthless!
Just give 'em an IOU! Apparently it works in California!
Just a thought.
Time is growing short and the future is set.
The future cashless society is not so future now, eh?
Let this be a lesson to all here.
You have to pay more just for the priviledge to be able
to pay to play their game. Normal stuff. Good luck.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by XTexan

Hi XTexan/

You are not alone in this.
Here it has been awhile where many such institutions do not accept cash or cheques, but only credit cards.

Why should they not accept cash?
Stand your ground!
Or isn't cash 'worth the paper it's written on''(is there such a saying?can't remember it)
Anyway...a couple of years ago a current affairs program interviewed a lady who was caught in an argument with a bank or was it a phone company(cant remember) over a 2 cent overdrawn statement,it couldn't be payed because 2 cents does not exist anymore,they insisted that they wanted their two cents!
To have a cheque made to the amount of two cent,would cost more then the 2 cents owed,but they wanted their 2 cents...Im not sure what happened, there was a follow up on the current affairs,but I didn't watch it.
It did seem pretty stupid in the first place...nothing is worth 2 cents anymore and to rich person this seems GREED on their behalf to follow it through with proceedings to court.
What does seem worthy to note is ....
Once all the cash goes, then money becomes of no value to a working person...it is merely a form of feeding oneself and other daily expenses.
But to the Powerfully Rich who control such a system, it is worth much more!

Hope it all works out for you.

ICXC NIKA
helen

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Hey there everyone, I'm still waiting on that detective to call me back, lol. Something tells me he won't.

To answer the questions, no I wasn't on my cell phone, and yes it was definately me that ran the red light, lol...

I'm not trying to get out of paying the fine, I broke the law so I should pay the fine. I just find it crazy that they don't take cash.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join