It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why does the US prohibit message sending into space?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Foppezao

Seti is useless we will never find a signal from any extraterrestrial. Scientists have known this for years the problem is signal propagation. Also Any advanced civilization would likely encode and compress its communications to make its systems more efficient, just as your computer compresses files that you send over the Internet, Do to this it would be impossible to detect over background radiation unless you already knew how they compressed there data. Seti will only be able to detect a single signal in a range above background radiation which means it had to be intentionally sent. And it would have to have been intentionally sent to us. So in other words they would have had to pick are star out of the trillions of possibilities.

Bottom line is seti is useless an has been a huge waist of money.First contact would never occur by transmissions unless they were all ready in the solar system or passing though.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by dragonridr

Well said. I call them Illuminati organizations or the 'official word' that
are road blocks to investigations that would uncover the works of Tesla
in some cases.

As far as radiation in space the X-Ray and gamma rays are nil and in
a Google you will find pages that say so.
To prove or show how small the radiation is we have to launch a
telescope to go find these X-Rays and gamma rays from far away
nebula.
Here is the psycho blurb:
www.abovetopsecret.com...#
Mean while all the electronic are hardened against radiation.
Why don't they place these observatories on the Moon by remote
control like NASA and Russia did in the past.
Did the batteries run out or did the electronics get toasted by radiation.
If so that means even hardened electronics can't take the cosmic rays
discovered by Tesla.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   
First of all, I haven't seen anything quoted or posted that reinforces the OPs statement that Long-Range Radio Transmission into Space is prohibited in any way, shape, or form. Until I see some substantiating evidence to support this, I'm going to assume that this is all just hyperbole.

I did get a good laugh about the Xenophobia some humans would display when transmitting to Space. When Xenophobic Rednecks get their hands on the power of technology, nothing good could ever come of it.
Besides, I can see it now!

"The NCO (New Cosmic Order) is attempting to enslave all races and species across the Universe. They will first start with giving the UFP (United Federation of Planets) military powers, and then establish a Universal Currency, undermining the value of Oblidinium. Then they will be coming for you and your Gauss Weapons! Once they have removed your ability to fight back, they will start herding aliens and humans en masse into UEMA Camps on Betelgeuse Prime. I've seen the Cargo Rockets people! The proof is out there. The incident at the twin stars in the Sirius system was a Black Flag Operation to make this all happen! It is all a conspiracy between the Orion Royal Family and Reptilians from Wolf359. This is documented people! It cannot be denied! Revolt now against those who are trying to enslave you! Oh, and still...out of all the races and species amongst the stars, everything bad that happens to anyone anywhere in the Universe is the fault of the Jews and Masons. Don't trust them!"

Now that's the way to be representin' the Human Species! If Mainstream society thinks of Conspiracy Theorists as the Lunatic Fringe, what would alien species making first human contact with us think from that message? They'd think we were a planet of lunatics!

A problem with transmitting something as an amateur is the following:

a.) The causing of interference. If your signal interferes with another transmission or with a regulated spectrum, then the FCC will be coming for you (and not in a gentle kind of way).

b.) Frequencies in the HF spectrum do not tend to leave the earth, rather they just skip off the F2 layer of the atmoshere and eventually antennuate back to earth. Frequencies from the mid VHF band and above are not deflected in the same way and do escape into space. Depending on what frequency you use from the mid VHF band or higher, you may be easily falling into problem A. listed above.

c.) There is an inverse square law of signal strength, too. Even if you used a big parabolic reflector, such as a dish, the signal will spread out as it goes through space and it would be very weak at the other end of its trip. If it was weaker than background noise it simply wouldn't be detectable.

d.) For you to send your message and assuming you want to be heard
over the background noise, you'd need to send a huge signal, many
Megawatts in power (perhaps even Gigawatts). You can attempt to boost the output without boosting the power if using a series of Yagi Arrays, however you would be messing with the standing wave ratio, and introducing a lot of harmonics into the transmission. (Note: You can send a transmission into space with only a few Kilowatts and it will be heard in orbit, and even maybe make it as much as a light-year out, but it will become nothing more than background noise.)

Anyone could transmit something into space, if they knew what they were doing and had the energy source to do so (it certainly wouldn't be cheap). As long as you were using an unreserved band and did not cause EMF interference with any other band or electrical device, then there is nothing stopping you from transmitting a message into space.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by XKrossX
Well for one, they have shown that the TV signals turn into undecipherable noise after only 1 or 2 light years so they arent really going out that far.

I was unaware of this. Do you have some support or links?

Thanks

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Why?

THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL EXPOSURE LAW

On 16 July 1969, a United States law was passed called the "Extra-Terrestrial Exposure Law" that made it illegal for the public to come in contact with extra-terrestrials or their vehicles. (Title 14, Section 1211 of the Code of Federal Regulations). Anyone found guilty of such contact could face up to one year imprisonment as well as a fine of $5000. Also, any individual who had been "exposed" could be quarantined under armed guard by the NASA administrator without a hearing.

The law was passed originally to protect Earth from possible biological contamination resulting from the US Apollo Space Program and other space exploration programs. It has been suggested by researchers and scientists that the U.S. government was very concerned that contact with extra-terrestrial bacteria could result in a worldwide plague. The immune system of human beings wouldn't be able to fight off extra-terrestrial bacteria, so therefore any kind of "extra-terrestrial exposure" was taken very seriously.

People in the UFO community especially were alarmed with the law because its broad definitions could allow the US government to prosecute people in NASA as well as individuals of the general public who come into contact with extra-terrestrials and their vehicles.

UFO and ET believers found it interesting that in one hand the government was denying they had any interest in extra-terrestrials, yet they had a law which forbid contact with ETs and their craft.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by fraterormus

First of all, I haven't seen anything quoted or posted that reinforces the OPs statement that Long-Range Radio Transmission into Space is prohibited in any way, shape, or form. Until I see some substantiating evidence to support this, I'm going to assume that this is all just hyperbole.

Well said my friend,
The only limiting factor in the us ,is the need for a transmitter licence.
If you have the licence you can broadcast all you want, but it would also take a VERY powerful transmitter to get a coherent signal to eeven the next star.

Like someone else said, all but the most powerful transmissions would be degraded beyond recognition well before they could reach the next star.

A little off topic now, sort of
My brother and i came up with a theory, a while back that relates to this topic.
You know how in the movie "Star Trek; First Contact", the vulcans just happened to be passing by and noticed humanity's attempt at warp drive.
We think that this scenario has happend in the last 25 years.

It all revolves around the the string of UFO sightings in Alaska in '86-'87, the most famous of which was the JAL sightings.
UFO Casebook page on the JAL sighting

There were also several sightings by military pilots over alaska as well.

These were sightings of very large ufos, and if the artists renditons ive seen accurately reflect what the witnesses saw, ufos of a type not seen before.
All these sightings were over one of the least populated areas in the world.

Now people have been seeing ufo's for centuries, and in the modern period there have been reports of very large ufo's, and they are usually triangle or v shaped or large cylindrical objects.
Not the tortise shelled vehicles reported in the sightings.
Also the ET's that have already been visiting us, would be well aware of our flying technology, in most cases UFO's are indifferent to our aircraft. They go on about thier business withou paying any attention to our planes.
And the UFO's behaved in a way, that indicates they were very interested in our flying machines.
Moving very close to and all around the aircraft, and following them for a fair distance before moving off.
As far as I can tell from reading UFO reports, after the string of alaska sightings, there were no more reports of similar large ufos, until the last few years, when reports of similar very large ufos have surfaced, again involving aircraft.

Here's our theory,
These ET's were just "passing by" when they noticed us and came by to take a look. They looked around for a short while, then left to report back what they had found.
Now heres where we kooked out in grand ats fashion, we feel that this very large UFO was a warship on patrol, it took a look around, and assesed our basic level of technology before continuing its patrol.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Probably a big scam used to fund other secret projects.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Originally posted by XKrossX
Well for one, they have shown that the TV signals turn into undecipherable noise after only 1 or 2 light years so they arent really going out that far.

I was unaware of this. Do you have some support or links?

It's simple physics, calculus, and wave theory.

You can even do an experiment in your own home to prove this!

If you have a TV Antennae for OTA (Over the Air broadcasts) which are in the VHF range, try tuning into a station from the other side of your state. Try tuning into a station 50 miles away. All you get is static even though the signal is relatively close to you. The reason why is that the higher the frequency of a transmission, the more power that is required to transmit it long distances, and the quicker the transmission degrades to be lost in background noise.

Now, take a Shortwave Radio Receiver like a World-Band Radio and you can pick up transmissions made on the other side of the world! The reason being is that shorter waves require less power to transmit and can travel further distances before degrading and being lost in background noise.

However, if the wave falls below the mid-VHF range, it cannot escape our atmosphere, being bounced back to earth.

The ideal transmitter, as far as 1950s era technology goes, would be have a high-powered Shortwave Transmitter located outside our atmosphere, say in earth orbit. Still, the transmission would degrade over distance, but you'd have the potential of a far greater distance with a VHF or UHF transmission sent with the same power.

If one wanted to send their own transmission into Space all that they would need to do is file for a UHF Broadcasters License with the FCC, and purchase the equipment to transmit on the UHF band. UHF Stations can be bought for the cheap (I see them sold in my local area for about $15,000 for equipment + antennae). Then you'd just have to boost your power, making sure not to introduce harmonics which would make the signal unintelligible. Really, it's that easy.

The difficult part is that Space is full of high-powered background noise coming from Stars, Quasars, Pulsars, etc. with far greater power than what you can transmit with. Even putting distance aside for a moment, the likelihood of being heard over this high-powered background noise would be mathematically improbable, even if intelligent life were actively listening and looking.

If humans were to actually want to systematically send messages into Space, the 21st century way to do it would be aim an Ultra-Low Loss Gaussian Laser Transmitter using beamforming optics at all 970 stars within a 50 light year radius and begin broadcasting. This could not be done earth-side, but would have to be done outside of our atmosphere. That would be the only method to ensure that 50 years from now someone might actually hear our transmissions over the ultra-high powered background noise of Space, and maybe, just maybe, we'd get a response in 100 years from now.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   
There are no ETs to write laws for.
Ban the Illuminati and use all their ET bs money for better train service.
More fake reasons for law and Alex Jones still has no hint the hidden Tesla
technology by the Illuminati is behind the woes of the world.

The EH waves (at 90 degree separation) will lose power, they are lossy
transmissions.
Tesla made EH compressions at 180 degree as reactive electrical
components and will only lose power by tapping the compression.

Don't know how many beams Tesla had but one was 1/2 an millionth
of a cm that sounded promising.

And yeah to the poster about all ET is a scam.
Lets see how far Alex Jones could battle against the ET crowd.
About as far as 911 was an inside job went.
And he knows how far Forestall went against the ET crowd.
The technology is sacred to the Illuminati.
ED: A few kilo volts from a Tesla coil focused skyward like Tesla
did might be all one needs and there might be a hookup for
reception of a return beam reflection.

[edit on 7/18/2009 by TeslaandLyne]

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by fraterormus

Thanks for the detailed analysis
I never really thought about it much in those terms.

But what I was looking for was actual links to this having been tested...

It does change a few things as I have always said that since radio is only just over 100 years old... any ET 'picking up' our existence would have to be within 100 light years and there are not that may stars in that range

But if its true that even Alpha Centauri isn't getting the Lucy Show that makes a big difference.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by dragonridr
Seti is useless we will never find a signal from any extraterrestrial. Scientists have known this for years the problem is signal propagation. Also Any advanced civilization would likely encode and compress its communications to make its systems more efficient, just as your computer compresses files that you send over the Internet,

Well I have said as much for years...

If ET had the ability to zip around between stars in a reasonable time frame they would need real time communication. Like Star Trek they would need something like 'sub space radio'... As radio waves travel only at the speed of light it would take a while to get 'ship to ship' messages through

I maintain SETI should tune their receptors to LOCAL SPACE, say just within our solar system

Afterall since we all know thousands of UFO's are buzzing around our skies, surely they would have local ship to ship two way communication, or ship to ground crew communication...

We should be able to pick up SOMETHING considering the number of annual sightings

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I agree with everyone who says it's possible that our space agencies have found something in space, and that's why they forbid the general public from making attempts..

But why is it always "aliens"?

Think back in history, every time a group of pioneers set out to find new lands, there were invariably some other strange people -friendly or not- waiting to greet them. What makes us think the next frontier is any different? What makes us think we won't(didn't) just discover another long-lost tribe of mankind..?

Or what about the theory of the nazis having bases set up on the moon from an early, secret space program? Maybe that's who's up there..

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   

But what I was looking for was actual links to this having been tested...

According to ARRL (Amateur Radio Relay League) the distance from Earth that a conventional radio/tv transmission could be picked up would be only a few hundred kilometers when you formulate frequencies, as well as antenna gain formulations for the receiving side. They have a wealth of information on radio wave-propagation and distances vs. power on their site.

arXiv:astro-ph/0610377v2 or "Eavesdropping on Radio Broadcasts from Galactic Civilizations with Upcoming Observatories for Redshifted 21cm Radiation" paper states that our best Observatories have a theoretical range of receiving transmissions sent under optimal conditions at 20 AU (light years distance). This doesn't go into the distance that we can transmit, using conventional methods, but it goes into what is required to receive a high-powered transmission under optimal conditions.

Intsteller Communication is a great paper (in German) written by Karl Meinzer (project leader of Amsat DL) regarding Interstellar Microwave Transmissions.

It does change a few things as I have always said that since radio is only just over 100 years old... any ET 'picking up' our existence would have to be within 100 light years and there are not that may stars in that range

At 100 Light Years, according to SIMBAD (Set of Identifications, Measurements, and Bibliography for Astronomical Data) there are ~7760 Stars that have been cataloged. Mathematically, the estimate would be more approximately ~12,800 Stars. That's quite a few!

On the same vein of alternative ways to get messages out to the stars:

With Microwave radio transmitted with a non-directional antennae and approximately 150 Gigawatts transmission power you could theoretically get your transmission to travel for 12 AU (light years distance) assuming the recipient had a 100m diameter antenna on their side to receive it.

Still, that would get your transmission to approximately 25 Star Systems in that 12 AU range.

[edit on 18-7-2009 by fraterormus]

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

All the UFOs flying around, I'm sure have the best communication
systems only the elite could buy them.
We still can't tell that the elite have the so called ET technology
that has no ET connection at all.
The funding must continue to keep those in the know happy and
entertain us with happy thoughts of ET movies.
Fear the elite not the ET.
They created the ET not God for you to fear and talk about instead of
seeing through the lying holders of Tesla free energy UFO.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join