It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 10 Creepiest "Are You Afraid of the Dark" Episodes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I found this countdown and decided to share. I loved this show when I was a kid, and I was wondering if anyone else ever watched it.

For those unfamiliar with the series:

(from the above link)

A dilapidated row boat, a creaking swing, a menacing clown doll, and a lit match. These images marked the beginning of Are You Afraid of the Dark? and are forever burned into the psyche and souls of most 20-somethings. Horror/fantasy anthology shows have been around since the '50s but ones targeted at children never really took off until the '90s. There were a few memorable ones like the animated Tales From the Cryptkeeper and Goosebumps, but none of them could hold a candle to the Canadian export that had kids gnawing their fingernails raw every Saturday night. AYAOTD was clever, well-acted, and surprisingly scary for a kid's show. Every episode featured "The Midnight Society," (MS) a group of teens who must've all had neglectful parents who didn't notice them running off into the woods in the middle of the night. The MS would meet around a camp fire each week and a different member would tell a tale. Most were based on urban legends, folklore, or fairy tales and they usually reflected a fear of one of the MS members or something going on in their personal lives. It didn't matter where the stories came from though, each week they had kids answering the question posed in the show's title with a resounding "yes." So let's take a look at the creepiest stories told by our old friends Gary, Tucker, Betty Ann, Kiki, and all those other kids who didn't have a curfew.

It was a cool show if you were growing up during its heyday, and this website brought back some pretty fond memories. And anyway, I apparently owe BTS points, so maybe I can make up for that.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Its quite funny looking back on how crap the actors and they're dress sense was, but Im quite concerned... How could it bring back FOND memories?!.. that show ruined my childhood! Especially numbers 9, 6 & 1. I am not a fan of dollhouses, little girl ghosts or clowns. Seriously ought to sue those guys, they caused me many a nightmare.

Where there's a blame there's a claim!

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 07:59 PM
link   
I have them on DVD.

I really do like that show, but the dollhouse episode?!?!?! brrrr...... Did you know that show was Elisha Cuthbert's first acting gig? She was an extra and then came back as part of the Midnight Society a few years later.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Bluebelle

How could it bring back FOND memories?!

As a kid, I liked being scared. For me, it was the same giddy thrill you get from riding a roller coaster. I was 'allowed' to watch horror movies as a kid (by which I mean I waited for my parents to go to bed and watched them anyway), so Are You Afraid of the Dark didn't phase me that much. It's just nice to look back and reflect on those memories of being a little frightened in a fun way.

TA

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Duzey

Did you know that show was Elisha Cuthbert's first acting gig?

That's pretty cool. It's funny to look at actors/actresses careers and see some of the odd places some of them got their start. Didn't know Are You Afraid of the Dark was on DVD either, gonna have to get that myself.

TA

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I used to watch this all the time on Nickelodeon, I remember the Zeebo epi, clowns aren't scary haha, The only scary thing about that episode is the ginger kid, They have no souls you know.

[edit on 19-7-2009 by Chukkles]

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Chukkles

Yeah, I watched it on Nickelodeon too. That was the only channel it's ever been aired on in the US.

As for clowns, I'm not terribly fond of the real variety, but depictions don't bother me. After hearing about John Wayne Gacy, I've developed mild coulrophobia.

The only live clowns I don't mind being near are the ICP guys. My two best friends are fans and after going to a few concerts with them, I've gotten used to them. Still not really a fan myself, but they're tolerable.

And I gotta agree with Duzey: the dollhouse episode is still pretty freaky.

TA

new topics

top topics

join