It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Has Happened To ATS?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Sometimes When I come in here I feel like attempting to add some humor, sometimes when I come in here I feel like a serious discussion.

Things in life are how we take them...

For me there is nothing like a bombardment of hate to remind me what side I am on in the fight, to help me identify those I wish to know and be friends with and learn from and maybe once in awhile perhaps teach.

Confronted with such anger and ignorance ... with real darkness, makes it much easier to see the light I think.

I have to say, so far these last few weeks have actually brought me calm. The attacks were sometimes so rampant, so vile that I had to find a place of peace in me to handle them. It's hard to describe what i'm saying but somewhere in here I went from defending against such things to not having to defend against them.

In a way on a level I almost thank some of the characters that have been posting the most ridiculous things lately. I find it more clearly helps me to define my values.

Even Evil has a purpose and I think that it makes those of us who are on the fence choose sides and gives those who are good of heart a chance to shine.

In the end if some will always fall others will run in the face of a bit of adversity and in this Ats is a metaphor for life. I won't let a few trolls run me off. These are Juvenile minds and in some cases the truely wretched and they can only prove how foolish they really are in here they will not last long, they can not prevail in debate against the best among us and they will tire.

I say this because no matter how relentlessly they post disease, They KNOW every time they are stumped, the hate and trash might get worse and worse be some here hold up mirrors to them and there is only so long they can stare and see their reflection before they can't take it anymore.

Don't be fooled by the bravado, every last one see themselves for what they are when shown... and they wont be able to handle it long before needing to creep away from the light.

I am certain of this.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
reply to post by mrwupy

I wonder though ...

I have had this conversation recently, including with some senior staff members, and they assure me that summer and a cyclical element are involved.

Again i wonder, if we're not all trying to convince ourselves of that.

One thing is for sure, a LOT of outstanding members have recently left. As the site grows and more and more people join, these kind of reasoned and intelligent members become more and more important. They not only set an example but also ensure the cultural continuity of ATS. This is not to say in the least that we don't have outstanding members joining every day, it's more an 'economies of scale' issue.

How to address all that is, as they say, above my pay grade ...

For now I am adopting the 'be the change you wish to see' mantra.
But I must admit, it's getting a little harder to get motivated and enthusiastic these days.

Hopefully I will be wrong as usual and it is just a summer thing.

very well said-
those of us that have been around for a spell, and witnessed the ebb and flow of the site, and the changes of it, are all noticing that it's getting really bad.It seems that an increase of mods, have had no effect on the boards, and civility and decorum which were once highly enforced, have gone out the window.Even in a thread of my own where I tried to maintain a civil discussion or debate, I was invited to my own crucifixion. Not amused.
I would never speak to fellow member with the tone I see in a lot of posts, and I find it disgusting. Freedom of speech does not have to be insulting.
Quite honestly, if you have to be insulting in a post to make a point, especially to the OP, then you are showing a lack of intelligence IMHO.
Any joe blow off the street can throw out a nasty comment. Try researching and writing a constructive argument to make your point. If you are so damn good, and so perfectly right..prove it.
Enough said...

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 06:19 AM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

This happens every vacation cycle, sometimes less, sometimes moreso, this isn't the worst it's ever been...not even close.

Just wait 'til the ramp up to the midterm elections start in about five months or so... Fun, fun, fun.

Not just you SDog, but if y'all see something going on that is out of bounds, or even if you think it is, alert staff...it's one of the reasons we're here. That and the really cool capes...

We can't see everything. That's why we rely so heavily on member input...

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Sometimes taking a good long break from ATS/BTS can be just the thing.

I took a long time off these kinds of websites, and the internet in general for a good long time..

Its kinda like stepping outside to get some fresh air..

Yeah it does tend to get stuffy in here at times.. Best cure for that if you can't pull yourself away from the computer for more than 1 month..

Open a window

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by seagull

Yeah, ty seagul and also AD for your consideration.

Seagull, it's not really a T&C issue, if it were you guys are on top of it and it would be a lot easier to resolve.

I'm not quite sure how to put it, there is a malaise, something seems to be going on perhaps at a more fundamental level, and it is mostly topic and tone driven.

The best way I've had it described is by a fellow member:

Mass-consciousness is still very much into Tabloid-ism..."news" designed to kick up a frenzy of fear, hatred and prejudice.

This of course affects the dynamic and 'mood' if you will of the entire board ... people get shorter with each other, polemics and divisiveness increases, etc ...

Like I said earlier, the best way I can think of to deal with it is neither to 'take a break' nor stay and engage in it. Rather I find myself putting even more effort than usual to generate intelligent and well considered threads, in the hope that in some small way it will balance things out.

I do hope it is either a summer or cyclical thing. Either way, even though it may sometimes pain me to observe others treat the site and fellow members with such contempt, I may outwardly act indifferent to their tactics but I will surely not concede to them.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I know by many I am considered a newbie and since I don't post much or create many threads a lot probably don't "know me". This is fine, but in the last few months the changes have made me feel less welcome and less inclined to try. The people I did know are rarely here any more so I just lurk and read. That is mostly fine as I enjoy reading a lot of the threads.

Posting here is a scary thing, you are either challenged or staff (not all) swoop in and make me wonder why I bothered with their belittling comments. Some threads are closed before comments can even be made. I even needed some reassurance from a friend before I even dared comment here..

Even posting in the writers forum has lost its charm... do people even read them?

I only speak for myself so this could be a unique perspective, who knows.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I dont know I really dont see a problem. I still come just as much as I use to. Bickering doesnt bother me because theres going to be bickering on any site you go to. Theres always going to be confrontational people in the world and on the site.

I think theres been a rise of overly sensitive people here. Someone says one thing that hurts someones feeling and its IM TELLING THE MODDSS

Now I dont know what you went through with bickering people but I dont know, I dont see alot of it at all.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Alright that post did sound a little mean when I read it over, I wasnt trying to say everyone is being babies. I just think were taking things for seriously than they are.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

There is something to that. The whole "keepin' it real" riff we all hear about... What that actually translates to is "rude is in". All we can really do is be polite and concise even in the face of rampant uncontrolled idiocy.

As far as the T&C's are concerned, there is that little thing called "community management"...

Go too overboard with the "keepin' it real", and we can and will act...

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Good afternoon to all! I can see many of you are seeing and feeling exactly the same thing. There have been some really good points made. I hope it is cyclical and that's it.

Someone brought up the idea that the new members are not sure how we work here. They may be use to other sites which allow personal attacks, cursing, etc. That is a very valid point. Maybe when they finally get up the nerve to post, they are in a defensive mode anyway, based on their previous experience on other sites. Hadn't thought about. Perhaps we should give grace, regarding their 1st or 2nd post. I know I would want that. Then if a pattern emerged, there could be other action taken.

True, that we see this much less with the older members. I guess the point I was trying to make was more along the lines of looking at our own behavior in response to offensive members. Believe me I am including myself as one who needs to learn to do this more. Not wearing our emotions on our sleeves and letting more things just roll right off. Realizing that we can only be responsible for ourselves, and that's it. Maybe we are taking things, too personally? Do we need to take a time out like another poster said?

I do believe that the older members have a responsibility to emulate and set forth the goals of ATS. When a new member comes here, they should feel welcomed and comfortable to say what they want. If we continue to be gracious even when we are hurt, they will learn through us.

I love it here! And the member community IS outstanding!! The moderators have a huge job on their hands. Yes, there will be times when we feel something isn't fair, but come on, life's not fair! The mods are excellent!

So rather than jump ship, I'm willing to stick around even when it gets tough! From what you have said, sounds like you are too.

I really appreciate all the feedback! Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts!

Kindly,
Pax

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   
well i took a long break from ats/bts and recently came back to full swing and posting and have noticed a dramatic rise in trolls, and simply absurd posts that verge on very insulting at times. Yes since 06 the site has had various ebbs and flows and periods of calm and insanity, at the moment it seems to be a tough one. I dont envy a mods job on a board this size as i remember my own forum when i had it a few years ago and it was hard to keep up with everything then. I also help run a site that has a pretty large member base and i have a large amount of respect for mods and other staff here,.

i found myself more than once playing peace keeper in a thread to keep things calm i really dont mind it and most of the time things do calm down i feel though that sometimes people are over passionate about there views and need to step back a bit, count to 10 then reply. I have never used the alert button in the past and just yesterday i used it for the first time ever.

iv noticed some of the old faces i had great times with are no longer around, we need some level headed and intelligent people who can post good stuff and keep the flow going for the site and of course to help the mods do their job better as well

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Before I signed up to this site it did look a little scary with some people who came in and absolutely crapped all over points some people were trying to make & stuff like that... but thats what happens I guess, and its got to be better than just reading through endless amounts of threads where the people posting in them are just talking absolute poop.

But yea, I think oversensitivity is an issue here. People need to chillax and realise if they start getting worked up or just generally feel like their being 'picked on', then all they need to do is turn the computer off.. or just step away from it for a while. Although to be fair I do find it quite funny when some people start calling eachother names, reminds me of being 13 again!

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jess_Undefined
I dont know I really dont see a problem. I still come just as much as I use to. Bickering doesnt bother me because theres going to be bickering on any site you go to. Theres always going to be confrontational people in the world and on the site.

I think theres been a rise of overly sensitive people here. Someone says one thing that hurts someones feeling and its IM TELLING THE MODDSS

Now I dont know what you went through with bickering people but I dont know, I dont see alot of it at all.

Hi, I haven't gone through anything here. I can see you registered in 09, and most that have replied here have been here around 2-3+years. If the older members have noticed a change, then there has been one. Being here less than a year, doesn't give you an accurate measuring stick. I'm not picking on you for your post, I can understand how it might look, I'm just saying you haven't been here long enough to know what ATS really looks like, regarding it's members.

They are NOT like the others, truly no comparrison! Stick around, you'll see what I mean!

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by undefy.gravity

Well for one if you and others are so sick of people being rude and mean on here, then why would you go and bash my thread on the study of why men prefer blondes as unintelligent?

This site isnt for only alien and governement and awaking people. Its for all sorts of different types of things.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by paxnatus

Your definetly right I really havent been here that long to notice it too much. I mean I definetly do notice it and when I thought about it, you actually make a good point.

The girl who bashed my thread on why men prefer blondes as unintelligent opened my eyes because now I see what you mean, and I had taken a moment to step in your shoes and see how it feels for someone to be rude on purpose. So I do owe you an apology for that.

And with that being said, im definetly on your side now.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Jess_Undefined

So I do owe you an apology for that. And with that being said, im definetly on your side now.

Hey, you don't owe me an apology, really. I appreciate you being empathetic that is what we need more of. I read that thread and found it quite interesting!
In fact I was up late last night reading your thread. It's a shame you experienced that, I have not. Thank you for your insight.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 06:12 PM
link   

You are so correct OP. Not only is it disrespectful but also disheartening. I'm not sure if it's a particular group of people or just the increase in ATS's popularity that has drawn this behavior. ie. more people, more bad apples~~ I 'officially' signed up as a user back in March, prior to that I would come here just to read often. The reason I finally decided to join was because I didn't see alot of the foolish shenanigans going on here that go on at other boards.

It's been getting progressively worse in recent weeks. Every thread gets torn to shreds and loses integrity, by the very presence of these posters. They don't offer arguments, they simply ridicule and try to call people out. For me, if there is a subject matter I find unappealing, I simply stay away from it. I do not get why people are feeling the need to attack others just for the sake of doings so. If I read a post and think it's ridiculous, I just go read something else. You're not the only one having a hard time swallowing this behavior.

The best way to quelch the situation is simply not to give these individuals our energy by arguing by them. That gets difficult though because some of them are particularly insulting and aggravating. We're going to have to try extra hard to ignore them and perhaps they will go away.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I think part of the problem is that some members don't read posts properly.

Someone bashed me the other day for making a point that supported his side of the debate - and someone else gave him a star for it :shk:

The same person had a go at me before that when he hadn't read another of my posts properly.

That particular thread had been enjoyable up until recently when a couple of contributors started to make it personal and have digs at people. Not by just taking on someone on the other side of the debate but by making snide comments about unspecified other people who they thought supported them. (A few of us are sort of neutral but willing to be persuaded given convincing evidence).

How are you supposed to reply - if an offender doesn't mention you by name how paranoid do you look if your defend yourself?

Plus it detracts from the debate. Because of all the bickering, a lot of good points have been overlooked and we're now at the stage where people are arguing about when or whether they addressed a question - or how many times they have asked one.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   

I was too quick to judge actually. Ad the truth is even though I might seem like it doesnt bother me, when someone is being rude, it does bother me, alot.

Hopefully we start to see less and less of it.

I know for a fact I would never call someone elses thread unintelligent or that it had no purpose. Because people write threads based on subjects they like. And I like psychology. So the thread was based on a psychological input.

Eh im over it. S&F For you though!

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 08:12 PM
link   
It's gotten worse progressively over the past few years and I even took one year off from ATS back in 07. The world didn't end, contrary to some beliefs around here
, but after spending the past year or so browsing yeah it's getting much worse. This community needs to fix itself.

Considering most of what I see on here is religion bashing (so what if I believe in God? I don't care if it makes you angry you aren't special), 2012 / apocalyptic rambling, ect. Now I will admit I enjoy trolling. They see me trollin, and hatin, It's fun and this place is well the holy grail for a troll. I am surprised we don't have more. I try and covertly troll but most of the trolls on here are just idiots. If someone doesn't agree with your THEORY or someone offends you there is always some big internet fight.

I miss the good old days of actual theories that had been researched. I am not talking about the elaborate hoax's or bull# that appears to be researched. Anyone can fabricate facts. But the good stuff. Eh I guess I am getting old. :shk: Don't worry though. We have an elaborate network of resistance against ignorance here. We prefer to be covert but we are watching and waiting. Yes this defeats the entire clandestine nature of our operational manifesto and this is a huge breach of OPSEC but that is how we roll

[edit on 17-7-2009 by nastalgik]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join