It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Childless man freed after serving time for child support violations

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Childless man freed after serving time for child support violations

www.cnn.com

Frank Hatley spent the past year in jail for being a deadbeat dad. But there's one problem -- Hatley doesn't have any children. And the "deadbeat" label doesn't fit the 50-year-old either, his supporters say.

In June of last year, a judge ordered Hatley to jail for failing to reimburse the state for public assistance that was paid to support his "son," who, as the court was aware, is not actually his son.

Hatley is a hard-working man who demonstrated his desire to pay what the court said he...
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Man, they sure don't treat the black man very well in America. I mean, really! The guy has no kids, but has to pay child support anyway. All the chick has to do is say that they're your kids and that's sufficient to get a child support payment out of you.

Thats awful. This country is completely devoid of common sense. From going after Iran to making childless homeless bums pay child support. And then when they run out of money, they just toss them in jail! Something completely out of his control such as losing his job, and they toss the guy in jail!

That's pretty sick.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I had something similar to this i have no children but i had child support people coming round here interviewing me, and i still do not know why. Looney toons.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   
That's what happens when government steps into our family lives...

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Child Support agency's are a joke, .... I just got served a notice to suspend my license for being late on child support ....

.... The one thing is ... I am NOT late on my payments, ... when I called the office the lady didnt understand why I got the notice, .... her manager was supposed to call me back.... which she DIDN'T do...... now I have to do all this crap to clear it and pay a fee.....

... Their quick to collect, .. but not fix their mistakes.

[edit on 16-7-2009 by IntastellaBurst]

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
To be honest, with Child Support Enforcement agencies across America, it REALLY doesn't matter what race you are, as long as you are male you are scum and they treat you as such.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
If I was this guy, I would counter sue!!!

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Well, yes...any woman could claim you as the father, unbeknown to you, and you could be legally liable.

When the woman takes the case to Court with a Motion to Establish Paternity, the named Defendant is provided a Summons. If they ignore the Summons, or do not receive it or notice it when posted in a Public Place (usually the Legal section of the Classified Ads in the local newspaper and at the Court House), a Summary Judgment can be entered, establishing the Defendant as the Paternal Parent with a Order for Child Support.

Likewise, even if you do contest it when a Motion to Establish Paternity is filed against you, you don't have to be the biological parent to be financially liable for Child Support. If you date a woman with a child, and take care of that child while the two of you are dating, even for but a month, you could become legally liable just as an ex-boyfriend. The only recourse you have would be to find the "real" biological father and sue them in Civil Court (not Family Court) for compensation for the Child Support you are paying which they should be paying.

And the Federal Government takes Child Support very seriously.

The mother of my daughter was awarded $750/month + $380/month for Health Insurance even though I have primary Custody of my daughter. Her lawyer couldn't figure out how to file the Court Order with the State so that this money could be withheld. He took me to Court over it twice, and each time the Judge told her lawyer it wasn't my responsibility but his and that if he is that incompetent that he should consider retiring early. In the end it was a dirty lawyer trick. The lawyer purposely withheld filing the paperwork until the back Child Support exceeded the Federal limit and my Passport was canceled by the US Government Department of State and it became a Felony for me to travel outside of my own State. Thankfully, when it was clear what her lawyer was doing, the Judge dismissed all back payments and amended the Court Order to make payments concurrent to when her lawyer actually filed the paperwork.

Still, at $1130/month, all it takes is two months of Unemployment before I am considered a "dead beat Dad" even though I am the primary caregiver/custodial parent to my daughter. If I lost my job and did not immediately find one that could afford paying that kind of Child Support I could be facing Jail Time in short order.

There are dead-beat dads in the world and they are the scum of the earth (along with the lawyers and the politicians and used-car salesmen), but dead-beat dads are not as common as dead-beat moms who abandon their children. Statistically, men are actually more likely to stick around to take care of their young than women are in this day and age. Too bad that neither the Courts nor Society are able to see it even if it is a daily appearance in the Mainstream Media to show yet another mother who abandons her children or kills them because she doesn't want to take care of them.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I am afraid all it takes is an unmarried woman getting pregnant.... If she cannot pay for the offspring, then she collects all of her free bonuses -- while she MUST give the agency a name of a man to terrorize. It is sad.

Men have no rights to the kids, either, for the most part. Courts simply go the way of the woman, even if she cannot pay for them and the man can provide a better home.

The male is always considered scum to these people, no matter what colour he is.

I hope to fight for man's rights, after college.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   
As the jobs here in Michigan disapear the number of so called dead beat dads increase.The jails here are full of them.Ironically some counties charge the inmate being held by the day so that when he's released he now owes the court money which if he had in the first place would have paid his child support!

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Child support is a goldmine for women. I know some that are collecting from 3 or 4 different men.

What I don't like about it is that the court doesn't take the mother's income into consideration. I pay 25% and that is separate from the clothes I buy, the food I provide, and the shelter I provide. Oh and let's not forget the insurance I have to maintain on them.

It is very easy to see why men become deadbeats so quick, especially if they lose their job.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   
... another thing, .... child support tends to make some women dependant on it ....... so instead of the money going to the children, .. they spend it on themselves and the rest of their bills. It's just a free check for them, .... along with getting medical, and other benefits, ... this stuff's supposed to go to my kid.... not her.

... It's been like six years, .... and I have not known her to have at least one job !!!

.... a few years ago before I was officialy paying support... I was still sending money every month, ..... and she actually forged one of my checks and added an extra hundred dollars !! when I asked her about it .... her excuse was " I didnt do it, ... but I think I know who did " .... that was the apology I got, ... after making about five of my checks bounce and costing me a couple of hundred in overdraft fee's !!

.... some people should not be mothers.

[edit on 16-7-2009 by IntastellaBurst]

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   
One state went after a navy sailor that was in the middle of a 8 month deployment off Iraq at the time of conception.

It took the navy JAG office over a year to stop the state court from having the sailor arrested every time he stepped off base.

They were only able to protect the sailor by sending him to a base outside the US till they got the child support order stopped.

Now the sailor is afraid that when he get out of the navy the state will try again to collect the child support.

Many of these mothers think that military are deep pockets because they can go to the military to collect.

But the military will ALLWAYS do a paternity test before putting child support on military personal.

[edit on 16-7-2009 by ANNED]

MBF

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 10:33 PM
link   
I know this guy personally. He worked for me for a while. I saw the video on the news last night. The last time I talked to him he told me something about this, but it sounded like just a minor flaw that would be easily cleared up. I noticed that I haven't seen him in a while, but I didn't know he was in jail. I was surprised to see the news story, in fact I had seen the news van that same day. He is not a bad person at all and is friendly and helpful. He is always hitting me up for a couple of bucks though.
I hope he sues and gets paid for the time he spent in jail.

There has been a problem in our judicial circuit for quiet a while with corrupt judges. In fact I heard one of the county commissioners make the comment that the judges were locking too many people up for minor child support problems that would be better solved by leaving the people out and working so they could make money to pay the child support payments.

My brother is fighting his ex-wife and feels like he is being setup for something. He moved 1,500 miles away to get a new job and to get away from her. He just started a new job about a week ago and his lawyer told him a couple of hours ago that he needed to get in the car and start driving this way. She has broke him in fact they foreclosed and sold his house last week.

Also I know the judge that put Frank in jail. I might discuss that with him the next time I see him. The last time I talked to him was about three weeks ago at a funeral and I told him that some of the cops around here would lie and he agreed with me.

I also know the sheriff that finally got Frank the help that he needed. He too office in January and is a really good person. Johnny is the type person that is fair and willing to help anybody, in fact his is going to come to my house and help me with a problem I have with a drug dealer. His deputies were surprised when he showed up on the first drug raid with his bp vest on leading the way. They said they were not used to the sheriff being anywhere around any danger like that. I'm just afraid that Johnny will be having trouble with the judges now that it is known that he was the one that got Frank the help he needed.

SUE THE HELL OUT OF THEM FRANK

[edit on 16-7-2009 by MBF]

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 11:33 PM
link   
In my opinion all judges are scum bags. They ought to be the ones getting tossed in jail for abusing the law. Just writing this makes my blood boil, after what I went through with child custody. These court systems entice the women into these cases, promising and delivering on nothing but cold blooded revenge.

I had to deal with these co-ordinators, and talk about a bunch of power drunk low lifes. It took everything I had to keep from going across that desk and snapping that jerks neck. He kept himself as far away as possible from me. I started out trying to work with the guy until it became obvious he only wanted to jerk me around. He went on personal leave after that, smart man. I got appointed another, and she was just as bad.

Then I studied the law, and found out just how much they were completely ignoring the law, my lawyer included. I stopped paying him, started reciting the law, and shortly after received a decent settlement, but am still stuck with a ridiculous bill after my lawyer bilked my for every dollar he could get.

These courts jerk the women around just as bad if they don't play along with the system. It is all about taking advantage of people in a bad situation.

I would sue the county, and I think I could win, but it would be a brutal battle. I don't know how much of my sanity I would survive with after such a battle. It takes alot of you to keep yourself under control when dealing with such scumbags. Sadly this is a reflection of our entire legal system.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 11:39 PM
link   
It is supposed to be all about defending the child, but it is really about screwing people out of as much money as possible. Everyone I talked to at the court house in this situation felt the same way. Even the women, once they get caught in the vicious mill of this system wish they didn't, of course except for those more than happy to screw over their ex and their children.

Half of these women playing along to get these settlements neglect their children and spend the money on drugs. The good women trying to do right for their children get screwed as badly as the men.

I can't go after my mother's daughter, because that would hurt my daughter. In the end, I think she realized what a bad deal she got into.

join