It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Many Times Human Civilization?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 05:21 AM
link   
Just a theory of mine.

Perhaps we are earth's civilization version 2.0, or 3.0, or 4.0, etc.

Just perhaps, this planet has seen humans and our 'advanced' technology several times over, only for it to be 'erased' completely, whether it be by natural forces or otherwise, and started over again from scratch.

We may be nothing more than a culture in a lab experiment (pun intended) that just has not been yielding the expected results. Thus the experiment is terminated, altered and restarted.

We have stories from the past that indicate great advanced cultures, we even have evidence of technologies/skills existing thousands of years ago that we ourselves can't explain. And occassionally, we find Out Of Place Artifacts (OOPARTS), such as unmistakably man-made objects found in earth layers where no such artifacts should exist.

We may not be so unique afterall.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 05:29 AM
link   
i believe in hinduism there is a similar creation/destruction story.
that the universe was created by the gods several times over and destroyed several times over.

dont quote me on that though.

and most OOARTS arent really out of place.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 05:48 AM
link   
I have always thought the same thing, that weve done all this before then boom and we are whats left to start agian .
ooparts yep strange lttle buggars shouldnt be there but there they are

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 05:55 AM
link   
out of place artifacts are intriguing!

Atlantis was meant to be way more advanced than we are now even at this stage of our evolution

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 06:02 AM
link   
It is cyclic, all ancient civilizations came and went.
Now it is our turn..

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 06:10 AM
link   
you may find this interesting
www.simulation-argument.com...

Basically an article from the New Scientist regarding ancestor simulations

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 06:17 AM
link   
this has a lot of good information on out of place artifacts.

www.badarchaeology.net...

hope that clears up many misconceptions

focus on the links on the bottom right side for OOARTS

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 08:51 AM
link   
I'm sorry that everyone in this thread is focusing on OOPARTS. I should have been more clear in my OP.

I understand that the arguments against OOPARTS are strong, but not necessarily COMPLETELY disqualifying. For instance, I offer the 'Baghdad Battery' and the 'Antikythera Mechanism'; both would be considered out-of-place as far as technology at the time of their estimated use/conception. Yet they exist. And for what purposes? Exactly who used them? Who designed them?

These questions are the basis of my hypothesis.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 08:56 AM
link   
According to some reading i've been doing, we are presently the 5th race to evolve on this planet. And we are in the transition between the 5th and 6th race as we speak.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 08:56 AM
link   
The reason I don't believe this is because, put simply, where is the proof?

Right now if we were wiped out, places such as Hoover Dam, Mt Rushmore, etc, will survive for hundreds of thousands of years and possibly a lot longer, millions even. Even when destroyed there will be large amounts of concrete layed on the ground.

If it has happened many times before then where is the previous civilizations stone and cement structures?

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Nventual

Have you stopped to think that just maybe we've been the version that has made it the 'furthest', so far, in a technological sense?

If we are, let's say the 'Apex', there's a good possibility that we won't find evidence that corresponds to our perceptions of technological dominance.

Just look at the works of the Mayans, Incas, Egyptians, Druids, etc.
Perhaps THEY were at their apex and couldn't find any evidence of THEIR technology prior to their own existance...

[edit for spelling]

[edit on 7/16/2009 by billybobh3]

[edit on 7/16/2009 by billybobh3]

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by billybobh3

If you enjoy a good 'science-fiction' read from time to time, then try this one -

A Canticle for Leibowitz

A Canticle for Leibowitz is a post-apocalyptic science fiction novel by American Walter M. Miller, Jr., first published in 1960. Based on three short stories Miller contributed to the science fiction magazine The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction; it is the only novel published by the author during his lifetime. Considered one of the classics of science fiction, it has never been out of print and has seen over 25 reprints and editions. Appealing to mainstream and genre critics and readers alike, it won the 1961 Hugo Award for best science fiction novel.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/db3a45e2680e.jpg[/atsimg]
Set in a Roman Catholic monastery in the desert of the Southwestern United States after a devastating nuclear war, the story spans thousands of years as civilization rebuilds itself. The monks of the Albertian Order of Leibowitz take up the mission of preserving the surviving remnants of man's scientific knowledge until the day the outside world is again ready for it.

Source : Wikipedia

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Nventual

Stone and rock structures will last, however concrete will not last, it will eventually be broken apart by vegetation and overtime will be erode away. Watch a couple episodes of “Life After People”, it is an interesting concept of what will be left behind after we are gone.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 09:26 AM
link   

I understand that the arguments against OOPARTS are strong, but not necessarily COMPLETELY disqualifying. For instance, I offer the 'Baghdad Battery' and the 'Antikythera Mechanism'; both would be considered out-of-place as far as technology at the time of their estimated use/conception. Yet they exist. And for what purposes? Exactly who used them? Who designed them?

This just goes to show you that past civilizations were far more advanced than we give them credit, in this case the Ancient Greeks. It also makes you wonder what other items they created that have been lost, I personally doubt that this mechanism was a 1 off device, but where are the others or other similar devices? If it wasn’t for this one discovery we would be told that the ancients had no knowledge of how gears worked or how to use them even.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I definately believe in 'cyclical time' and that human progress has not been as linear as we currently believe.

IF there were a civilization that equaled ours in the distant past, there is no telling where it could have been centralized.

For instance, it was recently discovered that the soil in the Amazon is an advanced formula, created by an unknown group of people and it has been theorized that a complex series of canals weave through the Amazon into the Atlantic ocean. I won't bother with links, this is off the head, but they are easily verifiable online.

My point is, lets say there was an advanced civilization centered in South America, Amazon region, 30,000 years ago. Would any evidence of them exist today? Things in the Amazon decay at a rate much faster than other parts of the planet.

What if this civilization where centered in Antarctica? What if an ancient civilization formed, but never spread to a global scale (there are MANY places in the world today that don't 'look' like they exist in a time of advanced technology and civilization...because they aren't a part of this advanced civilization).

It also wouldn't be right to assume that they would have had buildings and technology similar to ours. Who knows what their technology could have been based on? There's no telling what sort of architecture or technology they would have had.

Everything we know today is based on MAYBE 10,000 years worth of scientific discovery. Modern man Has been on this planet (according to accepted theory) TEN TIMES that. If we can progress this far in 10,000 years, what we could have accomplished in the 190,000+ years prior to that is anyones guess.

EDIT: Removed potential inaccuracy

[edit on 16-7-2009 by El Davicho]

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by El Davicho
I definately believe in 'cyclical time' and that human progress has not been as linear as we currently believe.

IF there were a civilization that equaled ours in the distant past, there is no tell where it could have been centralized.

For instance, it was recently discovered that the soil in the Amazon is an advanced formula, created by an unknown group of people and it has been theorized that a complex series of canals weave through the Amazon into the Atlantic ocean. I won't bother with links, this is off the head, but they are easily verifiable online.

My point is, lets say there was an advanced civilization centered in South America, Amazon region, 30,000 years ago. Would any evidence of them exist today? Things in the Amazon decay at a rate much faster than other parts of the planet.

What if this civilization where centered in Antarctica? What if an ancient civilization formed, but never spread to a global scale (there are MANY places in the world today that don't 'look' like they exist in a time of advanced technology and civilization...because they aren't a part of this advanced civilization).

It also wouldn't be right to assume that they would have had buildings and technology similar to ours. Who knows what their technology could have been based on? There's no telling what sort of architecture or technology they would have had.

Everything we know today is based on MAYBE 10,000 years worth of scientific discovery. Modern man Has been on this planet (according to accepted theory) TEN TIMES that. If we can progress this far in 10,000 years, what we could have accomplished in the 190,000+ years prior to that is anyones guess.

EDIT: Removed potential inaccuracy

[edit on 16-7-2009 by El Davicho]

Thank You, El Davicho!!! You have put it much more eloquently than I could have. This is exactly what I'm trying to get at.

We may not be able to 'see' the evidence because it is not what or where we would expect it to be based upon our own experiences and/or observations.

We are victims of our own 'world', denying all else that may exist or may have once existed.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   
There is a tv show called afterman....

It basically shows what would happen to all of mans creations over 1-1000 years.

The short of it is that between 10,000 and 100,000 years, there will be nothing that is recognizable as from mankind.

If the number moves to a million years, well, you get the point.

It is my personal theory that there has been many "civilizations" of man over the history of the Earth.

It nicely explains certain objects that can't be explained......the spark-plug in a rock that is very old..

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Frank Herbert's Dune series is also about cyclical time.

And mankinds attempt to break out of the cycle.

Which should be our goal...

Vas

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 03:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChemBreather
It is cyclic, all ancient civilizations came and went.
Now it is our turn..

When in Rome, do as the Romans do.

As in collapse forever as a society.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Star and Flag!

This subject is very interesting and I would like to put all of the stuff together that I have found in a theory on the cycling ages of man. No matter which direction I go off in, research wise, I always end up back at the same point, evidence that the collective knowledge of humanity is cyclical.

Lack of evidence for advanced ancient civilizations is not an issue, more like there is way too much of it. Consider all of the ruins, artifacts, temples and megalithic structures we know of that are all around the world and how much is undisclosed or yet to be discovered.

I tend to leave out any alien astronaut connection or speculations that these structures were used for worship or a superstitious belief. The events detailed in ancient myths are not taken literally by us today so why should we assume the ancients did. Astrological glyphs and charts are considered pagan gods that were worshiped, temples and statues that have astronomical or astrological relevance are also thought to be idols of worship. Myths are full of stories about interactions between gods and goddesses in heaven and sometimes on Earth but again this is assumed to be a false religion or belief.

I think of myths as a rhetorical form of recording historical events. The planets are as gods and it is no coincidence that many of the myths from around the world are very similar. Thinking of the gods as planets and interactions between them as celestial events that were observed by the ancients, a history begins to unfold that I find fantastic and very hard to believe.

Interpreting myths as historical events isn't easily dismissed with the overwhelming amount of similarities between astronomy and the symbols, structures and myths from civilizations around the world. Some of the things almost all the ancient civilizations had in common was an advanced understanding in astronomy, shorter calendar years that changed over time and elaborate displays in the alignment of temples and monoliths with celestial objects. It makes no sense to recognize their advanced knowledge of astronomy and then consider these 360 day calendar years simple mistakes that were made all over the planet at the same time.

The main focus of the ancient civilizations was on a series of events that brought about global destructions that nearly whipped out all life on Earth. These are the four ages of man (myth) or the four horsemen of the apocalypse (Revelations). A battle of the gods in four different ages from four different celestial objects causing four different catastrophic events.

The Aztec Sun Stone is a calendar of four ages each separated by a catastrophic event.

The four global destructions according to the Maya were by; water (flood), air (typhoon or hurricane) , earth (quakes and rising/falling mountains) and fire (perhaps relating to the Clovis event) and these are linked to astronomical events.

The Native Americas have a myth about the four ages of man that associate Thunder Birds with catastrophic events. They all were cloaked by the clouds and used lightning as a weapon. There were four different types of Thunder Birds (or Wakinyan); 1)black, 2)yellow, 3)red and 4)white (sometimes seen as pale blue). Could this be the influence of Christian missionaries?

The gods of the Egyptians, Sumerians and Greeks/Romans relate very vividly to astronomy. Many of these myths make a lot more sense as descriptions of events in our solar system rather than supernatural battles of gods and heroes. For example; Zeus swallowing Metis while she was pregnant with Athene then he spit them out with Athene fully formed and dressed in battle gear after being cleaved in the head.

[edit on 7/18/2009 by Devino]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join