It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To be one, ask one...

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by desertdreamer
Why would one want to be a mason? How is it going to benefit me? I mean, are people just wanting to join and see what it is all about? Forgive the simple questions please, I just don't see what all they hype is about....

don't worry a bit about masonry. You don't need it.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by network dude

I don't....just wondering what all the hype is really about. Sounds like just another group that wants to take your money as dues, and you get to move up some imaginary ladder in return, and get to hang out with maybe like minded people. Is it the lure of the ceremonies or what? I just don't get it.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by desertdreamer

There is no hype. Some people desire to join certain fraternities.. there are many different ones, and other secular organizations as well as religious. Masonry is just one of many, it is the oldest in the World, and probably the most prestigious. That's the only reason for the hype, if there is any.

Lots of hype about off the wall conspiracies though. Have not heard one that was founded in factual information however.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Thanks for the response Rockpuck, appreciate that.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 08:51 PM
link   

No prob. Masonry is most famous for it's Ceremonies, so perhaps you're right in bringing that up. (as well as collecting dues lol).. The rituals are very old and many famous people throughout history have gone through them.. so it's kinda neat that after you're a Master Mason you can think "I did the same 'travels' as George Washington" (among many other famous historical figures)

I joined because it was mysterious, I was curious, and it was out of the ordinary.. I think our World is devoid of the mystic and the unusual, ritualistic experiences.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   

So you have enjoyed your "travels" so far? Does one have to be experienced in any way to join? Or are you allowed to answer that one? LOL....

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Only qualification is to be a Man, ages vary by state, most are 18 or 19.

Believe in God. Doesn't matter which one (I am a Deist, my God is the nameless one who doesn't get worshiped..
)

You cannot be a felon

And you cannot be to old (70's for instance)

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Alright, thanks for the info!

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 09:59 PM
link   
What kinda numbers do the dues look like? I mean, I think there could be some mutual benefit, say, between my views and the local Lodge's, but, I am not a business owner or someone who can afford a, let's say, $50.00 a month due price for very long before it would affect my household. Cable and internet are a serious drag on the bottom line, so, the due amount would be a relevant question. I'm sure the different Lodges have dues that reflect the community Masons, but, maybe an average amount number? What are we looking at, due-wise?

@RockPuck- Ah, Seamus, heaven forbid the Puritans spy on your heathen ways! LOL Slainte!

Cuhail

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuhail

Usually $50-80 a year. Never heard of a Lodge with a monthly due. Other branches all have their own dues as well.. so if you're in York, Scottish, Blue and Shriner then you would have four different yearly dues.

First time dues are usually expensive, like $120+ to cover the cost of back ground checks and what not. The Bible I received after becoming a Master Mason I would have paid $100 for, it's pretty impressive if I may say so.

So I don't think it would break your bank, and having seen you posting on this site for a long time I imagine it would be up your ally. For the experience, if anything else.

Slainte mhor, dearthair

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Dude why ask here? Email your local lodge or something.
Though why desire it at all? If they are a bunch of evil semi-cultists then #'em. And if they are truly seeking to help others and reach enlightement then just do the same in your life and in a while you'll surely be invited by them or an other group.

Besides, there's always the Red Cross =) Or the maltanese cross
or other crosses...Those people really like crosses.

[edit on 21-8-2009 by Never Anonymous]

[edit on 21-8-2009 by Never Anonymous]

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 02:30 AM
link   
Applying:

I knew a mason when I joined. He gave me the contact details of the local lodge, but would do nothing to help me join. After becoming a mason, I found out that he vouched for me. Now I know that the only way to join my lodge is to contact the lodge as an outsider by phoning the secretary. This shows dedication, and the amount of effort it takes shows real willingness to become a mason. The only exception are Lewises (sons of masons), who can ask a brother directly, rather than phoning the secretary.

Blackballing:

In South Africa, if you have been blackballed, you may never again reapply to the same lodge. You may petition to another lodge after 1 year, but the original lodge holds jurisdiction over the candidate, and the new lodge must apply to the original lodge to hand over jurisdiction.

If a Brother opposes a new candidate, it is expected that he tells the WM before balloting ever takes place, so that the matter never goes to ballot. It is pretty much understood that Blackballing someone means they will probably never become a mason, and to allow it to get to that stage means that a Brother must have a very good reason why that person should not become a mason.

AugustusMasonicus and the bar:

Our stewards are expected to arrive an hour before lodge to open the bar. This tradition started about a year ago, when a certain brother (who shall not be named, but frequents the ATS forum) helped himself to a drink from the bar one day before lodge to help calm his nerves before delivering a rather long piece of ritual. Everyone else thought it was an excellent idea.

Dues:

In South Africa, many lodges support their membership with a weekly raffle. The raffle is well supported by our more wealthy brethren, and the raffle means that dinner/drinks are free and that annual dues are kept down to the equivalent of about $30 per year.

Benefits:

Originally posted by network dude

Originally posted by desertdreamer
How is it going to benefit me?

don't worry a bit about masonry. You don't need it.

Network Dude's comment may sound a bit harsh, but he is right. Masonry is about giving, not getting.

The right question if you wanted to become a Mason would be:
"How can I benefit others?"

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 04:08 AM
link   
I find this topic just kind of wierd as i browsing the thread started TO BE ONE ASK ONE and I work with a mason and that combined with other numbers is his email addy and he wears an arm band that says that I have been to his house to set up a wireless network and he has this crazy huge sword that all sorts of masonic icons on it just my .02

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 04:12 AM
link   
reply to post by IndianaOps

I don't know anything about arm bands.. but the Sword is probably either a Tylers sword (guy who guards the door... we literally still place a guy, with a sword, outside the door to stop people from breaking into lodge. I am lucky enough to have actually witnessed a group of people walk right on past our Tyler while Lodge was in Session... probably the funniest thing I have ever seen in a Lodge.)

Or it could be a Templar Sword.. those fellas like to dress up big time.. Swords are I believe part of their regalia. Most Lodges have their own Tylers Sword I imagine, so I am leaning towards it being a Templar's sword.

Or it could be a collectible Templar/Masonic sword, I have seen them in online shops quite a bit, don't have one myself, I prefer my knives and swords to be able to cut things, people, or inanimate objects..

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 07:24 AM
link   

I would like to apologize for sounding like an ass earlier. I had a bad day and came here looking for a fight I guess. I meant what I said, but I could have said it a lot better. Masonry is about giving with no expectations of even being noticed for your work. The whole thing is based on that. Again, sorry.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   
i have an update for this thread, but must be brief. short on time.

the night after making my last post in this thread, i ran into a guy that i know from way back. he was wearing this leather brag vest (biker type) with masonic patches all over it. the last guy i'd take for a freemason. it was like a flashing sign. so i had to approach him... i dropped the ask one to be one bomb and turns out he is at the lodge nearby like 4-5 days a week.

[edit on 21/8/2009 by gravykraken]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join