It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To be one, ask one...

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

Not that I am aware, but here where I live, I don't think anybody would be bragging about Al Gore being a member!!!

Why not? Al Gore is former Vice President of the United States, and respected internationally.

While he is not a Mason, his father, the late Sen. Al Gore, Sr., was both a Mason and a Shriner.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Masonic Light

Not that I am aware, but here where I live, I don't think anybody would be bragging about Al Gore being a member!!!

Why not? Al Gore is former Vice President of the United States, and respected internationally.

While he is not a Mason, his father, the late Sen. Al Gore, Sr., was both a Mason and a Shriner.

I live in the panhandle of Florida. The place the entire MSM forgot about during election time and called the state for Gore before most of us had even voted! The place that he made some disparaging remarks about the ability of the voters to decipher those oh-so-difficult punch cards! The place that didn't matter, because it was mostly military and rednecks (paraphrased, not his actual words).

Along the Georgia/Florida/Alabama line where we don't care if he invented the internet, but we are pretty upset about him inventing Global Warming and getting a coveted award for it! He has become somewhat of a laughing stock since his days in the Whitehouse.

I am sure there are plenty of lodges that would brag about his membership, but I can't think of any in my district!

[edit on 24-7-2009 by getreadyalready]
Good question though! Thanks for the opportunity to vent a little!

[edit on 24-7-2009 by getreadyalready]

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

so I assume you didn't buy his movie? It had some great acting in it. they even got the polar bears to act warm.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Along the Georgia/Florida/Alabama line where we don't care if he invented the internet, but we are pretty upset about him inventing Global Warming...

I will see your Global Warming and rasie you a ManBearPig.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 01:16 AM
link   
all that is needed to do is petition a lodge in your area they will review it at their next monthly meeting then take the next month to make sure your in good standing in your community then vote on it at the next monthly meeting, if your are accepted they will meet with you to make sure your doing this for the right reasons then designate a date for you to get your first degree.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Freemason Joe

Joe, you are exactly right, thats how I did it. Did you get my U2U message?

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 01:28 AM
link   
yes but unable to send one back untill i reach 20 posts i hate the rule but understand it and see the need.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by scooterstrats

I'm glad we could get togather on that i am really interested on giving an inside opinion and truly want to be apart of this site. there are parts i dont go but for the most part enjoy the posts. A level headed people will always beable to get along no matter their differences.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 01:32 AM
link   

Dont worry, its cool, I understand completely. Just so you see what I'm dealing with !

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 01:32 AM
link   

sorry,doublepost.

[edit on 7/25/09 by scooterstrats]

posted on Jul, 29 2009 @ 04:41 PM
link   
i asked, and was offered a sponsor, from a good customer/friend. he said you need 2 sponors, in good standing...then you have to pay your yearly dues, drink some blood, and voila... j/k about the blood drinkin.

yeah, what joe said sounds exactly right.

[edit on 29-7-2009 by AKARonco]

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

geography must be it then. thought as much, just curious as to if it were policy or not.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i guess you guys have seen enough trolls and 'anti-masons' to last a lifetime, but i am sincere in my questioning. not here to ruffle feathers... erm... or aprons. this has kind of haunted me since the day 'little grandfather' died, roughly 15 years ago.

in all honesty my curiosity begins and ends with my grandfathers' involvement. they were/are both great men. i have very large shoes to fill, before i can walk that mile. if i may glean something from sharing their experiences it will have been well worth it. (potluck dinners don't sound too bad either.)

thanks everyone for the input so far. glad this hasn't turned into a flame-fest.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 01:18 AM
link   
I would be shocked if someone who was well-planted in their community didn't already know a Mason, perhaps without knowing that they know. Look around your workplace, church, and volunteer activities and see if you spot someone with a big, cluckin' ring. Watch that lapels on men's suits. Look for lapel pins that give it away and ones that you don't recognize. Inquire.

If you live in the jurisdiction (state) where either of your Grandfathers were members, you could call the Grand Lodge (Google "Grand Lodge of ") and find out what lodges they belonged to. You might like to join one of those lodges -- and meet, perhaps, some men who knew your grandfather.

I have tried to explain on ATS previously that there is no such thing as a "high ranking Mason." The whole concept of Freemasonry is that Masons meet in a spirit of equally high regard for one another. Some men may hold offices for a time and earn the respect of their fellows for their dedication to the Craft. Others may choose to further their Masonic education by joining the Scottish Rite or York Rite and taking additional degrees. This does not make them "high ranking." It just means they have done more work.

I clarify this point because it is something that so consistently is misunderstood here and elsewhere outside the Fraternity. Freemasons have tremendous respect for men who hold offices in the Fraternity. We accord our leadership titles of respect, symbols of trust and honor, and an almost absurd amount of authority within the Fraternity. But when their day is done and they finally are laid to rest, they wear the same white apron that is given to each new Entered Apprentice. Freemasons -- all Freemasons -- are equal.

That said, I encourage you to be persistent in your desire to join the fraternity. The organization is run by volunteers and sometimes it takes an absurd amount of time for the creaky wheels of the process to work. But with your good natured persistence and the help of the Brothers, you will get there.

As for the discussion about blackballing... In my jurisdiction at least, blackballing a candidate to see if he would reapply or because you haven't had the chance to meet him would be a Masonic Offense -- casting a facetious ballot -- which would subject the individual to Masonic Trial and the penalties of reprimand, suspension or expulsion. Blackballs are and should be extraordinarily rare. They are not cast because an individual has not met a man. They are the last defense of the Fraternity for a situation in which a member has knowledge he must keep private but which disqualifies a candidate. Otherwise, a good member of a lodge should speak to the Worshipful Master privately about the suitability of a candidate and either have the situation rectified or give the Worshipful Master the chance not to submit that petition for ballot. The Constitutions of jurisdictions vary, but the principle that a blackball is not a frivolous tool is sound.

No man should fear approaching the doors of Freemasonry if he knows himself to be a good man, with a faith in God, and a desire to improve himself.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 05:54 AM
link   
reply to post by driley

hi there. thanks for the clarity. yes i use the term loosely, thus the quotations. i reckon the keystone concept of 'being on level' would apply to all.

as i understand it both were Scottish Rite. i know where one of their lodges is, 'the old neighborhood', not sure if it is still functioning or whatever. there is another large Scottish Rite building within a mile of my place.

a few people i work with are Freemason / Eastern Star. i'm just not sure if i really want to start there. although i suppose it is as good a start as any.

yes, i remember the apprentice apron. it was mentioned at the funeral. that is actually where it begins...

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by driley

As for the discussion about blackballing... In my jurisdiction at least, blackballing a candidate to see if he would reapply or because you haven't had the chance to meet him would be a Masonic Offense -- casting a facetious ballot -- which would subject the individual to Masonic Trial and the penalties of reprimand, suspension or expulsion. Blackballs are and should be extraordinarily rare. They are not cast because an individual has not met a man. They are the last defense of the Fraternity for a situation in which a member has knowledge he must keep private but which disqualifies a candidate.

I'm not questioning your districts Masons or disagreeing with your idea, but in my district we have had a rash of "curious" applicants. They want to know more, they watched National Treasure, and they think they will get rich or famous by becoming a Mason.

Many times these are good kids from the University and there is no 'good' reason to black-ball them other than questioning their motivation or commitment.

The fraternity has lost effectiveness and mystique over the past 100 years or so. We don't ask for sacrifice from our members. We seem to be happy enough to just get their dues paid, and I feel that is killing the fraternity.

My good friend is a "Q-dog" at FSU. He spent a full year meeting all the active members of the fraternity. Doing them favors, getting to know them, winning their respect, before he was invited to pledge. During his pledge he made a lot of sacrifices, learned the history and customs, and finally he became a full-fledged member.

It is sad that such an old and respected fraternity as the Freemasons, the father of all modern fraternities, has lowered its standards below that of a typical college fraternity!!

So, while I liked reading your post, and I think your heart is in the right place, I am looking to add value to this fraternity by finding the right people that will make some effort, show some commitment, learn the history and the work, and put in work within the fraternity. If someone cannot make the simple effort of coming to a meal, or coming to my work, or calling me on the phone, then they do not deserve to be a part of such a powerful and storied organization. I have made a few enemies, but our lodge is now growing, and our attendance is way, way up. In three years we have gone from 10 out of 160 members at meetings to 30 out of 160 at meetings. We have Valentine Dances, Americanism Nights, we meet every Tuesday for catechism classes and degree practice. We are restoring our former glory, and we place some demands on our new members!!

I almost quit after my Fellowcraft, because I was disappointed at the frivolousness of the process, and when I became a Master, I was surprised to find that about all the lodge does is pay bills and go home! We lost a few candidates after EA, or FC degrees, but not anymore!! Now, our candidates are surprised at the attention they receive, the responsibilites they are given, and the expectations they are held accountable to! They VALUE the experience and it is no longer frivolous!!

I blackballed a re-admission ballot of the Past-Master that raised me to MM! He didn't pay dues, he didn't show when I asked him to come to lodge, but then after being suspended he wanted forgiveness. I invited him to the meal the night we were to vote, and he didn't show up. He actually got several black balls for that. He later started coming to every meal, we eventually re-instated him, and he hasn't missed a meeting since!!

MASONRY IS IMPORTANT. IT IS HISTORIC. IT HELPS MAKE LIFE-CHANGING CONNECTIONS, MORALS, AND LIFESTYLES. IT SERVES AS AN EXAMPLE TO THE COMMUNITY. WE TAKE IT SERIOUSLY IN MY LODGE.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 11:07 AM
link   

I am not trying to tell you how to do anything, but when I joined, I really had no idea what the process was and didn't know who to talk to. I was lucky to find a brother who took me under his wing and he showed me and taught me what being a mason is all about. You may have people like this who petition your lodge and by your policy of them not seeking you out, you may miss some very good masons. If I was blackballed on my attempt to join, I doubt I would ever have petitioned again. Just some food for thought.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by network dude

That is a good point, but the ones who have their petition in charge should alert them to the procedure. It is very exciting when I do get phone calls or visits from candidates that have filled out a petition and the people signing it have given them my contact information.

The last 8 or 10 Masons we have raised are all very active. They have all returned catechisms, taught classes, participated in degrees, show up at every meeting, cleaned up the lodge and grounds area, raised money and bought a new sign, etc. etc.!

It is similar to raising kids!! If your expectations are low, you get poor performance. If your expectations are high, you get high performance.

There were some growing pains, but at this point our lodge is the most coveted lodge in the area. We are seeing double and triple the applications of the other lodges! It wasn't that way 5 years ago!

Our budget was in the red, and we had to drop the Property Insurance for a year! Now we have surpluses from donations from brother's and from activities at the lodge. I had planned on doubling the dues this year, and it was well known to the members, but now it won't be necessary. We have the lowest dues in our district!!

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   

it sounds like tough love is working. I am glad things are going that well for your lodge.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Can I ask if there is any Masonic members contributing from Scotland UK. I am near Glasgow and would like to join the Masons but i do not know anyone that is already a member!

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Why would one want to be a mason? How is it going to benefit me? I mean, are people just wanting to join and see what it is all about? Forgive the simple questions please, I just don't see what all they hype is about....

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join