It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New York photographer harassed for taking pictures in "wrong direction"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   

New York photographer harassed for taking pictures in "wrong direction"

carlosmiller.com

Then a cop walked up to him and starts asking the usual dumb questions as to why is taking pictures of whatever he happens to be taking pictures of. The photographer answers all his questions, which apparently satisfy the officer. But that didn’t stop the officer from departing with these words.

“Well, if you keep taking pictures in the wrong direction, don’t be surprised if someone else comes by to ask you for your ID.”

Obviously, this officer has not read the newly released operations order from the NYPD that explains that photographers are not terrorists.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Not sure what to make of this one. Was it just that the cop didn't receive the memo that photographers are not terrorists? Or perhaps they were told to ask questions of photographers anyway. I guess the guy actually got off lightly: he could have been tased in the eyeball.

I have a few friends who are photographers (both amateur and professional) and something about this case disturbs me. Are we headed the direction the UK is with their restrictions on where pictures can be taken?

TA

carlosmiller.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   

“Well, if you keep taking pictures in the wrong direction, don’t be surprised if someone else comes by to ask you for your ID.”

I'm particularly curious about what the officer meant by that statement. Are the alphabet agencies on the lookout for suspicious photographers? If so, which agencies in particular and why? If not, what else could have been meant by the above statement?

TA

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Amazing. This is just the kind of stuff photographers have to deal with all the time. Would think that the memo would change things.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   
apparently it's already illegal to 'film' in the city, so i'd imagine photography is just around the corner. sad.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Well, the guy didn't get tased, shot, kicked, hit, shoved, arrested, tackled, clubbed, or threatened.

I would say he had a good encounter with a NY cop.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Yeah exactly. But the problem is that he shouldn't have any encounter with a cop to begin with.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheAssociate

Not sure what to make of this one. Was it just that the cop didn't receive the memo that photographers are not terrorists? Or perhaps they were told to ask questions of photographers anyway. I guess the guy actually got off lightly: he could have been tased in the eyeball.

So true
or he could have gotten his neck snapped for trying to swallow the film..

[edit on 15-7-2009 by paradiselost333]

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by PsykoOps

Would think that the memo would change things.

With what the cop said, I'm wondering if the memo only applied to 'regular' LEO's and not the alphabet agencies. In either case, yes, the memo should've made some difference.

But the problem is that he shouldn't have any encounter with a cop to begin with.

Exactly.

reply to post by zooplancton

It is a sad day to see making videos illegal and people being harassed for being shutterbugs.

Thanks for the replies, stars and flags.

TA

[edit on 15-7-2009 by TheAssociate]

[edit on 15-7-2009 by TheAssociate]

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Yeah and while they're at it, they should send it to all rent-a-cops. They're notoriously unaware of the legal status of photography.

new topics

top topics

join