It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israel to strike Iran soon?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 01:54 AM
link   
With Iran close to/or having nuclear weapons the U.S. is contemplating the ramifications of an Isreali raid to knock out Irans nuclear capability which Israel regards as a threat to its national survival.

The U.S. has a keen interest in the political as well as military effects such a raid may have.

U.S. planning for Israeli strike on Iran

"Washington, DC, May. 7 (UPI) -- U.S. authorities have extensively considered the possibility -- or likelihood -- that Israel will attack Iran's nuclear facilities, perhaps this year."

Although I am not against such a raid in principal I do wonder what if any affect it have on the current U.S. mission in Iraq and the overall war on terror.

Would such a raid cause Iran to re-double its efforts to forment discord in Iraq?

Would the religous zealots in the middle east sieze upon Israels raid as further proof of U.S. support of an anti-islamic country that desires their destruction?

What thoughts do you have?

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 02:19 AM
link   
That would not be a good idea on the part of Israel. I hope it doesn't happen.

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Since when did Israel do the right thing? I doubt this will happen, but I wouldn't be suprised. Let's hope they are screwing with some hardliners that day, not other countries.

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Thanks for your comments guys, lets assume things go badly in Iraq and we are still occupying but not getting anywhere with self rule after June because of interference from Iran and the religious fanatics like Sadr, while at the same time al Quada forments a Saudi uprising.

As a leader of Israel what course of action would you have in order to gaurantee Israels survival for five years or more.

Sit pat and hope for the best or strike your enemy with the most power (Iran)

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Gee, how much more unstable can we make the Middle East? At this rate will Have to move to another planet since we've pissed off every body we can here, we'll have to look some place else to liberate. From past history Israel is not one to sit around and wait.

[Edited on 5/8/2004 by Duke_Nukem]

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 06:41 AM
link   
The middle east NEVER was a stable area to begin with....never ever ever...its too hot...theres a lack of resources...and groups that hate each other the most are way to close together...Isrea strikes Irans Nuclear sites...good...then we wont have another North Korea on our hands...

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 08:15 AM
link   
I think if this is set into play we're looking at a doomsday kind of scenario, at least on a large regional basis. What Israel had better remember is that there are US troops in the countries on each side of Iran. That, combined with foreign nationals working in the region, would pit virtually all of the world against Israel.

I think I'd rather see the comets get here first.

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
I doubt this will happen,

this is exactly what will happen.. israel has a nuclear advantage over them that keeps the arabs away from invading it again, why do you think israel bought the F-16i with extended range?

remember Osiraq?

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Israel has been contemplating this for quite sometime.
Mainly in this thread:
Israel considers Iran nuke strike:Updated.

Mentioned in others:
Israel: We Know Were They Live.....
Malaysia Urges Muslims to Unite Vs. Jews

Its certainly interesting that this 'rumor' or long before mentioned Israeli contemplations is still making the news.
I guess they feel the need to make people aware in the likelyhood that it does take place.

US has and is urging restraint by Israel on this, publically and behind the scenes through diplomatic channels.

seekerof

[Edited on 8-5-2004 by Seekerof]

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 08:32 AM
link   
the possibility of that headline totally scares me. We are already in WW3 with this war on terrorism, Israel striking Iran would only lead to a total apocalypse type situation. I certainly hope it doesn't happen, but Israel has never hesistate to use their military might before, so the possibility is definitely there.

posted on May, 9 2004 @ 06:51 AM
link   
We are no-where near a WW3....stop the nonsense...

posted on May, 9 2004 @ 07:21 AM
link   
On June 7, 1981 Israel launched a secret attack with 16 US made warplanes, bombing a nuclear site near Baghdad Iraq, ending Iraq's nuclear plans for the time.

(more)
www.wrmea.com...

This was an impressive strike, the israelis flew over arab nations and back without any of them knowing by flying a select path at high speeds and under the radar.

Most would have seen this as an act of war with Iraq at the time but the Israelis I am sure believed they had no choice, Israel will not let any muslim nations have any nuclear plant of any kind... and for good reason.

Iran has had radical leaders make threats against Israel for many years, and among those threats were nuclear bombs.

Gazz

[Edited on 9-5-2004 by UM_Gazz]

posted on May, 9 2004 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Seekerof, first let me apologize for not seeing your first post about this - its more informative with its many links and I urge others to check it out and read it.

I guess the only new news is this little tidbit from the article that I linked to,

"President Bush and Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon discussed the issue of Iran's nuclear weapons program during the latter's visit to the White House on April 14."

I think the results from a raid using conventional precision weapons to strike selected targets, in the end could have a probability for Israeli political success high enough for them to proceed.

That kind of raid on Irans facilities would require a multipronged attack on several sites simultainously and would denote an unprecedented ability on Israel's part at HUMINT on the ground.

I'm sure the Iranian military would try to retaliate, and as long as it is conventional the Israeli's probably can counter it quite easily - thats the point of the raid.

Publicly the Arab states would raise cane, privately the various governments would breath a sigh of relief, Syria being an exception. There is historically no love lost between the Arabs and Persians.

Irans mullacracy is propped up by a police state apparatus with the population being mainly apathetic to their leaders political goals. The biggest question at hand is would the Iranians see a raid like this as reason to rally round the mullacracy or would they see it as a sign of weakness and failed policy by the mullacracy.

Many blog sites out of Iran are pointing to the latter possibility, If mossad has concrete info in regards to a counter-revolution then that would seem to spur this raid forward.

A raid using un-conventional weapons although militarily successful would point to a lack of HUMINT and show desperation on Israels part. The world condemnation I think would be so high as to negate this possibility alltogether unless the Israeli's could prove beyond a doubt that the Iranians were organizing an imminent strike with WMD on Israel.

Even then the response could be so unpredictable that I can not begin to guess at the resulting situation.

posted on May, 9 2004 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Looking at this situation in simple form from many angles..

Iran is building nuclear sites and even admit to working on a "heavy water" reactor.

Iran is a nation of majority muslims many leaders are radical Shiites.

Russia is working under contract with the Iranians on these nuclear reactors and sites against the wishes and in spite of complaints from the US President.

USA is at war in Iraq, and now fighting mainly radical shiites who want to rule Iraq. and are supported by Iran.

Now the what ifs...

What if Israel does strike Iran and takes out these sites?

And Iran is able under assistance from Russia launch an effective retaliation against Israel.

All while the USA is caught in the middle!

It could be possible that the USA is drawn into a war with Iran and it is possible the russians could aid Iran, and WHAT IF that leads to a conflict between the USA and Russia.

Gazz

[Edited on 9-5-2004 by UM_Gazz]

posted on May, 9 2004 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Thats would just be the stupidest thing to do. Russia is Irans close ally and sells them lots of weapons. If they attack Iran Russia will get involved. And Israel doesnt stand much of a chance against Russia.

posted on May, 9 2004 @ 08:37 AM
link   

and WHAT IF that leads to a conflict between the USA and Russia.

And that could end in a Nuclear war! BOOOOOM!!!!

lol

[Edited on 9-5-2004 by AD5673]

posted on May, 9 2004 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Yes Russia would be happy to sell more weapons to Iran but it would make little difference once Irans nuclear facilities are taken out. Iran does not seem to have much of a conventional offensive punch to attack a country not directly on its borders - Isreal on the other hand has demonstrated many times in the past its ability to defend itself.

It really is taking a long stretch of imagination for me to see any possibility of a direct confrontation between Russia and the USA - Russias historic dream is nothing short of a weakend Iran ripe for political control or invasion - it is antithetical to their long term goals.

posted on May, 9 2004 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Iran?

What about Syria, Libya, and Saudi Arabia?

This war is a War of Mass Deception. Israel is running the show and as long as the US backs them they are going to do all to "reclaim" Israel as it was in the ancient days.

Another "terrorist" attack will happen soon and they will blame either Iran or Saudi Arabia for it then another invasion will soon happen after.

posted on May, 9 2004 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by BasementAddix
We are no-where near a WW3....stop the nonsense...

You don't know if it's a world war untill half way into it or after..remember WW1 was "the great war" not even "world war" and in that it was only after there were battles in sounth africa,middle east, the US got involved for the first few months-year it was just austria-serbia,germany-russia then france, britain etc etc

posted on May, 9 2004 @ 10:48 AM
link   
i cant wait for this war to happen. slaughter the iranians! they're nothing but trouble for us! making nukes and threatening the free world. did they actually think that we wouldn't take it personally?

<<   2  3 >>

join