It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Monkey Moves Robot Using Mind Control

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Monkey Moves Robot Using Mind Control

news.sky.com

A monkey fitted with a hi-tech brain chip has learned to move a complex robotic arm using mind control.
The animal can operate the robot with such dexterity that it can reach out to grab, and turn a handle.

The mechanical arm has an arm, elbow, wrist and simple hand, which the monkey controls with the power of thought.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I see amazing potential with this type of technology.

First in the area of helping people that are disabled. Imagine being able to operate devices that give you mobility and/or allow you to live a more normal life. I find this a great potential.

Second, I can see this being used in a military fashion. Imagine that you are in a fighter plane and you see the boogies in your heads up display. With just a thought, you can launch your electronic counter measures and/or your offensive weapons. That could give you the advantage in a dogfight.

The potential for this type of technology boggles my mind.

news.sky.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   
I thought this was a pretty interesting technology but I guess it wasn't.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I for one welcome our Monkey robot overlords!

Perhaps they're going to eventually train monkeys to do the menial tasks of humans with the aid of robots so no longer will we be slaves to society!

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   
"Get your mechanical claw off me you damn dirty ape!"

Actually this is very interesting. The interface between biologic and mechanical systems is hardly shocking, but seeing that a primate can figure it out, once connected, means we should be able to foresee a time when complex prostheses can restore better mobility and self-reliance to people who were formerly destined to suffer the loss of limb or catastrophic nerve damage.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

That was the initial take that I had on this.

What a great advancement in technology. You could use it to do lots of things.

top topics

join