It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hitler's stealth bomber: How the Nazis were first to design a plane to beat radar

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Hitler's stealth bomber: How the Nazis were first to design a plane to beat radar.

www.dailym ail.co.uk

With its smooth and elegant lines, this could be a prototype for some future successor to the stealth bomber.
But this flying wing was actually designed by the Nazis 30 years before the Americans successfully developed radar-invisible technology.
Now an engineering team has reconstructed the Horten Ho 2-29 from blueprints, with startling results.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 15-7-2009 by tristar]

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/8cc6e140b5ad77a2.jpg[/atsimg]

Blast from the past: The full-scale replica of the Ho 2-29 bomber was made with materials available in the 40s

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/cfac7a053eef0414.jpg[/atsimg]

Futuristic: The stealth plane design was years ahead of its time

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/8f65f13fafad11c1.jpg[/atsimg]

A wing section of the stealth bomber. The jet intakes were years ahead of their time.

It is so interesting to even try to place yourself in the mind of the engineers some 60 years ago. To think that they must have spent 5 plus years of theoretical work before this could even be considered a project.

One wonders what toys we have flying around, i guess ufo's are not so much a theory when you look at what level of engineering and advacemant they had achieved when most of Europe and Western Nations were trying to conduct rocket tests on a primitive theoretical scale.

www.dailym ail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I'm impressed. I knew a little about their flying wing but never had the opportunity to see a replica or a detailed article about it. Very intersing stuff. I find it amazing how technologically advanced Germany was at that time. I'm sure with many of the Nazi scientists that made it over to American soil helped engineer the Stealth bomber of today. Makes one wonder what kind of toys the US has currently hidden.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   
"Hitler's Stealth Fighter" Reborn - The Horten 2-29
www.abovetopsecret.com...

not sure why this is breaking news...

[edit on 15-7-2009 by warrenb]

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   
It seems there are very many duplicates these days. I don't know why, but the search function doesn't seem to hard to use. Frankly speaking and without offense, it's getting kinda annoying.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   
there was a show on discovery channel or history where they built this replica, and tested it against the radar, it wasn't completely invisible, but would have done well enough to turn the tide in the war had they been mass produced.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mdv2
It seems there are very many duplicates these days. I don't know why, but the search function doesn't seem to hard to use. Frankly speaking and without offense, it's getting kinda annoying.

It is broken!
they are using google search possibly for 2 reasons: #1 keep server load down & #2 maybe make a few pennies from searches

The search is completely messed up and does not work properly

Search for an exactly thread title and you wont find it. What turns up instead are threads that contain one of the words you searched for.
Even using AND/OR/+ and quotes does not work properly

It is frustrating indeed

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Aye, the Nachtjaeger. Might have actually made a difference had they actually fielded the damn thing.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadeWolf
Aye, the Nachtjaeger. Might have actually made a difference had they actually fielded the damn thing.

Why ? The 262 squadrons they had available didn't really make much difference at the end of the war, the problem was these jets were simply too fast compared to the propellor engined fighters and it was far too difficult to get a firing solution and if they were lucky enough to get one they had literally a second to fire a burst or else they'd be in the 6 of the enemy.

With the bombers like this it still wouldn't have made a difference, Hitler screwed up by ordering the Luftwaffe to focus efforts on civilian targets during the Battle of Britain bomber raids instead of pounding the British airfields into the ground and we were near breaking point we got lucky that Hitler decided to make this, one of his many tactical errors. They also screwed up by scrapping their carrier program, when the dawn of carrier warfare was coming into fruition which also cost them greatly!

German engineering was amazing during WW2, however they made things far too complicated which resulted in alot of mechanical failures especially in the Tigers, Panthers & KingTigers.

They did come up with some freaky designs though I suggest you search for the Ratte & Maus if you want to see insane german engineering lol (The Maus did reach testing phase, however the Ratte was only a concept)

Oh and Foo fighters during WW2 make some interesting reading (no, not the band)

[edit on 15/7/09 by Discotech]

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   
lol... another case of something i first read in a post on ats becomes news..

happens loads lately, although, i bet not everyone looks in the aircraft forum, being one of the quiter areas its hard to see when new threads are posted sometimes , or it is for me anyway at times , i tend to pay that area a weekly visit. the timings pretty accurate for the daily main on one of these topics, their always a few weeks behind.. and probably did see it on ats lol

(most of the posts are for the hardcore aircraft buffs , i just reading about strange aircraft like this)

no S+F, but good post (as long as its an innocent duplicate lolz)

[edit on 15-7-2009 by boaby_phet]

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by boaby_phet

There's an aircraft forum ????

I never knew that

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   
since its built out of wood and canvas , that has far more to do with any stealth than the shape - northrop built a flying wing only 1 year after the war was over , and designed it before the USA entered WW2 - the YB-35

hard to control , and also was slower and not as long ranged as they hoped - rebuilt it as a jet - YB-49 , and the same situation , hard to control and was slow.

only 1 accident in testing hough so the theory was sound

[edit on 15/7/09 by Harlequin]

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadeWolf

Hitler's problem near the end of the war wasn't that he didn't have planes. It was the fact that there were not enough skilled pilots to fly the planes he had. Especially the new jet engine planes, which were harder to fly than the regular prop driven planes.

Even if they could have manufactured a large amount of these 'stealth' bombers, there weren't enough pilots to have made a difference.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Discotech

ye , the "Advanced Aircraft Projects" section .. its about nothing but aircraft lol

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   
I had always thought the original WIng fighter back in the 1960's, was from nazi technology. Either that, or some general somewhere lokoed at a boomerang, and alightbulb idea went off

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Actually the "Amerika" bomber which is the larger version of the Horten, which the brothers were scrambling to complete, would have been far more effective and devastating if completed. They left the production of the Horten up to their team while they focused on completing the Amerika bomber under orders from Hitler and Goering. It was supposed to be capable of delivering Germany's first nuclear device to the U.S.'s shores with a minimal increase of RCS from the Horten.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 09:03 PM
link   
This thread is being move to Aircraft Projects and closed.
Here's the ongoing thread

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums: Make sure the story is not more than 48 hours old

Link to Aircraft Project forum.

new topics

top topics

join