It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

7.8 and 5.8 quakes off the west coast of the South Island of New Zealand

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by plainmike
reply to post by Nventual

It'd be interesting to see if squid weren't the only aquatic species prone to act unusually after an earthquake...I'd be too precautious to swim just yet as it could be your last if a humungous swarm of jellyfish or great whites determined to head for the shallower waters. Also,If I knew that I was anywhere near tsunami territory I'd be sure to scout out and take note of the locations of as many possible floatation type implements as possible in ADVANCE!

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 07:15 AM
link   
I'm in the North Island of New Zealand and didn't feel a thing.

I usually get the 'fall-overs' a day before a big earthquake in the world. By the 'fall-overs', I mean, for no good reason, I'll be standing still somewhere and all of a sudden my body will start falling over as if someone is pushing me over or as if the ground I am standing on is suddenly tilting at an angle causing me to feel off-balance. When that happens I 'know' there is going to be an earthquake either the next day or the day after.

Same as with lightning, when lightning flashes I get sharp 'white-pains' across the top of my head which coincide with the lightning flashes. Hope there isn't a tsunami as I live right on the coast Eastern Bay of Plenty.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 07:51 AM
link   
The 7.8 is the one I felt sitting with the wife. She didn't feel it at first I had to tell her. Did last for about 2 to 2 1/2 minutes. The House moved from back to front to start with then left to right for the last 30 seconds.

Living in New Zealand you get used to earthquakes so no biggy.

Last big quake was Gisborne 2007 (my home town) 6.8 scale
Gisborne Earthqauke 2007
Google Images
Some damage there.

Part and parcel of living in New Zealand

[edit on 15-7-2009 by greenfruit]

[edit on 15-7-2009 by greenfruit]

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Was there just some land that uplifted 20 feet in ALASKA this month SMH.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Forgot to mention, besides Earthquakes. We also have to put up with Volcanoes and Cyclones.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 08:54 AM
link   
I was going to make this thread my self so thanks for saving me time.
But I could have got on earlier but was busy.

Anyway this is what other websites are saying as I quote from them, I hope they get it on video but this time without people being swept aswell just high ground coastal shots to see the nature of this beast.

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center in Hawaii warned that a tsunami was generated, but it later said the waves were less than 8 inches in height and the warning was canceled after about an hour.

The Joint Australian Tsunami Warning Centre also issued a tsunami alert for eastern Australia that was still in effect late Wednesday.

Australian emergency services ordered the evacuation of low-lying parts of coastal towns and villages along Lord Howe Island, BNONews reported.

However, no reports of serious damage or injuries were received, police said.

Scientists with New Zealand's Institute of Geological and Nuclear Sciences were working with their U.S. counterparts late Wednesday to reconcile their readings with those taken overseas. The quake was reported locally at 6.6 magnitude before reports from the U.S. listed it at 7.8 magnitude and as high as 8.2.

There has been many different tsunami warning and potential threats since 2004 but non have been that bad since, makes one think how bad the quake was in that part of the world.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by kiwitina948

Hi! I get similar feelings to you..... for instance i may get a pain on my body somewhere and the next day a well known person dies!!! No Joke! It's happened a lot over the last couple of years.........

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
That was a ripper!!
!!

Would have to have been the most exciting and the longest earthquake I have ever been in. Not sure about the most powerful......

It went for a good 30 seconds it was awesome!

I lied and started saying how I had heard a warning on ATS that a huge, DEVASTATING quake was due to pop off in New Zealand. 2 out my 3 mates I was chilling with freaked out and ran to the doorways. The pure terror in their eyes was priceless

My other buddy and I stuck it out and rode the wave

Felt one decent aftershock also. All good down here in Otago, peace.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by vehemes terra eternus

lol,

that's awesome.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   
[edit on 7/15/2009 by Alaskan Man]

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   
We also had those small quakes in Melbourne back in March.

We seem to be getting a few quakes down in this part of the world lately.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
For all you earth watchers, take a look at this website which gives all the quakes around the world in the last 24 hours. Use the zoom in and out control and click on an area.
www.emsc-csem.org...

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I'm here in San Diego. I am definitely on Earthquake watch.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by tarifa37
reply to post by Curious and Concerned

Depends on how fast it was moving.Could be traveling at 500mph.

Huh? Not sure if you're familiar with the area, but Jackson Bay isn't a huge geological feature by any means. If it was at Jackson Bay, it means it would have already slowed down and hit the shore. While a tsunami in deep water does travel at extremely fast speeds, they slow down when reaching shallow water. If they are already reporting it hitting a point on the coast, its safe to say it's reached shallow water (although the coast off Jackson Bay does drop into deep water rather quickly).

Sure, if it was 17cm in the middle of the ocean, then that would be something to be wary of, but they had reported a "17 cm tsunami" at Jackson Bay, so no, not a lot to worry about IMO.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ophiuchus 13
Was there just some land that uplifted 20 feet in ALASKA this month SMH.

Yes, it happened about 2 weeks ago off of Bluff Point, Alaska.
Here is the story: www.homernews.com...

Something big seems to be brewing along the Ring of Fire.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Unrelated but does make you wonder what's going on down under the waves of the sea...

5000 pound shark washes ashore

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   
A close examination of seismograph data may reveal whether or not this was a natural phenomenon or a man-made one directed by the NWO for their own purposes.

Seismograph data proves 9/11 was staged by explosives as well. Many professional geologists...and the like...confirm this.

It is too early to determine at this point though HAARP and Bechtel know a thing about boring tunnels and setting charges. It may be interesting to examine these 'institutions' in more detail for everything they do is quite secret....for good reason? They are also privately owned and operated by the NWO folks.

The Truth will set you Free regardless. You have nothing to lose at 'this' point in time.

Reminds me of the movie "A View to a Kill".
Sometimes movies are made for a reason...they often are regardless of one's intent.

Zorin: "Intuitive improvisation is the secret of a genius."

Zorin drops one of his associates out of his airship when he backs out of his plan and quips ' So does anyone else want to drop out.'

Meet Max Zorin.

[edit on 15-7-2009 by Perseus Apex]

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   
earthquake.usgs.gov...
is dead for me, sorry did not read all the posts if this has been covered.

Any other links to real Earthquake tracking?

[edit on 15-7-2009 by Dometheus]

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Guzzeppi

The Juan de la Fuca trench where the plate of the same name subducts under Alaska and the Pacific NW is said to be capable of producing 9.x earthquakes including large tsunamis and hasn't had one for quite awhile. It's deterioration after it subducts can potentially also affect the goings on at Yellowstone according to this paper from the Department of Earth and Planetary Science, University of California Berkeley.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Why haven't I heard a single peep in the MSM about this? All I keep seeing is this Sonia Sotomayor stuff. Has it been mentioned yet by the MSM, and I just missed it?

[edit on 7/15/2009 by SonicInfinity]

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join