It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Myth of the Chemical Cure

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 03:16 AM
link   

The Myth of the Chemical Cure

news.bbc.co.uk

Taking a pill to treat depression is widely believed to work by reversing a chemical imbalance. But in this week's Scrubbing Up health column, Dr Joanna Moncrieff, of the department of mental health sciences at University College London, says they actually put people into "drug-induced states".If you've seen a doctor with emotional problems some time over the last 20 years, you may have been told that you had a chemical imbalance, and that you needed tablets to correct it.
It's not just doctors that think this way, either.
Magazines, newspapers, patient's organisations and internet sit
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 03:16 AM
link   
This article from the BBC outlines the (possibly controversial) views of Dr. Moncrieff that the idea of a chemical imbalance being the source of several common mental health issues is an untruth. That all our prescription drugs are doing is putting us into a stupor and needlessly messing with our brain chemistry. This unnecessary drugging of a certain percentage of the populace would also seem to be of benefit of both the big pharmacy companies and the government/NWO surely? That is if Dr.Moncrieffs theory is correct. Although I'm not sure where the evidence is for depressed brains having normal serotonin levels. I had always been under the impression that the leading theory for depression etc. was a chemical imbalance within the brain (of several chemicals, not just serotonin) which was backed up with empirical evidence.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 03:30 AM
link   
after i ha radiotherapy on my brain I was told to go on anti depressants as the radiation would cause an inbalance in the brains chemistry. Ive been on anti depressants for over 4 years now.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 03:43 AM
link   
Radiotherapy? I hope you're better now, that doesn't sound good. I've been on anti-depressants for around a year for a personality disorder, slightly different I know but still it seems to help. Due to this I find the article very interesting, especially combined with the withdrawal symptoms for SSRIs, which vary so much and can make them a bitch to come off from. And staying on them for an extended period of time surely cannot be good for the body/mind, especially if there are no chemical imbalances which need correcting.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 04:42 AM
link   

That all our prescription drugs are doing is putting us into a stupor and needlessly messing with our brain chemistry

This was done to many people with fibromyalgia for years.
mainly by doctors that understood that people in a stupor were less likely to complain about there medical problems.

It worked on less then 20% and many were not able to function while taking anti depressants.
Targeting serotonin levels with anti depressants in people with fibro was just junk science as the real problem is with levels of dopamine and GABA (gamma aminobutyric acid)being to low.
Dopamine and GABA are both inhibitory neurotransmitter. dopamine and GABA acts like a brake to the excitatory neurotransmitters.
without this braking action the nerves fired uncontrolled and caused tighting of the muscles to the point they hurt all the time even when they are not used.
(try hold a bucket of water for hours and the muscles in your hand and arm will start to hurt till you can no longer hold the bucket. or anything else.
and the muscle pains and spasms you will have are just like fibromyalgia people have 24/7)

GABA (Gamma amino butyric acid) GABA is the major inhibitory neurotransmitter in the central nervous system. It helps the neurons recover after transmission, It regulates norepinephrine, adrenaline, dopamine, levels in the brain. GABA that you buy in the health food store will not help because it can not pass through the blood brain barrier.
drugs like gabapentin and lyrica can pass and supply GABA to the central nervous system.

Mirapex, a medication commonly used to treat the symptoms of Parkinson’s Disease, is now being tested for use with fibromyalgia patients. Preliminary studies have shown that Mirapex appears to dramatically reduce the symptoms of muscle pains and spasms in fibromyalgia patients.

People with neurotransmitter deficiency disorders can suffer from one or more of the following conditions: obesity, depression, anxiety, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, insomnia, attention deficit, learning disorders, panic attacks, migraines, pms, menopausal symptoms, digestive complaints and many more.

Certain drugs and substances such as caffeine, alcohol, nicotine, NutraSweet, Antidepressants, and some cholesterol lowering medications deplete neurotransmitter levels leading to neurotransmitter imbalances.

[edit on 15-7-2009 by ANNED]

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 04:48 AM
link   
I've read that some men who had thyroid issues were treated for depression instead of the thyroid itself.

I started taking thyroid medication recently and it has improved a lot of my functions, including mood.

That's probably the only medicine I will touch.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 04:49 AM
link   
I'm very strongly against unnecessary drugs, but I found one popular antidepressant a lifesaver once it came out.

I'd been through the hell of clinical depression for years, (which has no relationship to just being depressed,) and this left me exhausted, often unable to function properly, and at continual risk of suicide.

It was only once I went onto Prozac that I could do the things that would make this problem I had manageable. The therapists I saw who did not believe in drugs were putting my life in danger by discouraging me from taking what I needed.

I no longer take antidepressants, but it was only taking them on and off for 10 years, after 40 years of hell, that enabled me to "cure" my clinical depression.

So if you need them, or if someone else does, respect that need.
Not all depressed people just suicide themselves. Some, with more agro or disturbed natures, will take a bunch of their nearest and dearest with them.

Clinical Depression is a genuine, physical illness which can be fatal and needs treatment. Even the worst antidepressants are better than death or a wasted life of misery.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 05:35 AM
link   
what the article actually says is that the chemistry of the brain isn't understood well enough that they can say for sure weather the drugs prescribed are causing a narcotic effect or if they're actually redressing a chemical imbalance.

it's a bit pedantic in my book, painkillers don't fix anything, they take away pain through a narcotic action. still, two aspirin usually "cure" my head-ache.

if a doctor prescribes this stuff without recommending the patient seek treatment for the underlying problem, then he's pretty irresponsible but that doesn't mean that the medication doesn't do what it says on the tin.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED

People with neurotransmitter deficiency disorders can suffer from one or more of the following conditions: obesity, depression, anxiety, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, insomnia, attention deficit, learning disorders, panic attacks, migraines, pms, menopausal symptoms, digestive complaints and many more.

Certain drugs and substances such as caffeine, alcohol, nicotine, NutraSweet, Antidepressants, and some cholesterol lowering medications deplete neurotransmitter levels leading to neurotransmitter imbalances.

There are a lot of other substances that can lead to neurotransmitter problems/imbalances. The majority of convenience foods and processed foods are laced with chemical compounds that prevent our bodies from functioning properly. Our brains do not escape this. You would be hard pressed to find processed foods which do not lead to a massive nutrient deficiency, or toxic overload, over a given time and cause a many number of imbalances and potential conditions throughout the body.

Even though anti-depressant use among people isn't something they advertise, the amount of people currently on them (and willing to talk about it) is through the roof. I personally know at least a couple dozen. All of which eat terribly because they can't imagine it's the root to this "underlining complex problem".

Diets (good food consumption) are piss poor nowadays as everyone is too busy to worry about those details. Medicine consumption is, well I don't have to provide proof that everyone is on something now, but people pass it off as normal, or "oh well, the doc said so", or "yeah but, everything else is working fine", etc.

So calling it "chemical imbalances" or "deficiencies and toxicity" is semantics to me. Regardless, it occurs because of what we put, and don't put in our bodies.

Which BTW, is the absolute best way to rid yourself of any medication you're on, including anti-depressants.

[edit on 15-7-2009 by StrangeBrew]

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 06:15 AM
link   
"You are what you eat".

That is one thing that schools should teach people when they are young. Most kids do not like good nutrition, and always fall for the fast foods. Also interesting stat in america is your more likely to graduate if you lived in the country than live in a city.

Diet and exercise should be the first thing people look to when they get sick(of course not serious illness, but most flus etc). People justa re not taught whats good for them, and we get all this rubbish mainly from the box, and we where never taught at school how to eat right, probably on purpose.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Drugs are never a good choice to take long term. No matter what, there will always be adverse side effects which could be just as harmful. Where ever possible, opt for something natural or non synthetic.

There are ample evidence of fish oil being beneficial to depression and a host of other medical problems. The thing with fish oil is to go for mega dosage as opposed to just taking a capsule or two. It is a cheap form of therapy and relatively safe, compared to drugs. Of course, always check with your doctor before embarking on your own treatment (tongue in cheek).

These are some sites to read up to get more info:
www.webmd.com...
www.finallysomethingworked.com...
thedcasite.com...

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Clinical Depression is a genuine, physical illness which can be fatal and needs treatment. Even the worst antidepressants are better than death or a wasted life of misery

I absolutley agree with you. The problem is that the meds are over prescribed. Feeling down, or sad is not depression, being stressed is not depression ( though these may be symptoms of it). They are given out like so much candy and seen as a "cure" for the everyday conventional blues. I can't go the doctor without being probed for any mental issues and have been informed more than once that should I need it he would happily give me script for it.

I have a close family member whose life would be hellish were it not for medication - I know they work, but they should be prescribed only for the people who truely need them.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Merigold

Yes, many doctors are far too quick to write out prescriptions, and many patients are far too determined to get a quick fix in a bottle.

Modern medicine's two great flaws are
1, that it has pushed independence in healing and natural healing out the door, and
2, it is used much too frequently.

People should take more responsibility for their own health, and we should teach ourselves and each other all we can about natural methods of healing. However there are times when modern medicine, drugs and surgery can be life-savers.

I wish your family member well and hope he eventually can recover.

new topics

top topics

join