It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cats 'exploit' humans by purring

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 12:36 AM
link   
I tell people that I have a cat for a pet, but in reality my cat has me! Oddly he has a comforting quirk - he tends to do his own thing unless I'm not feeling well (chronic issues). Then he will stay with me all day, snuggled against me.

When I saw the "House" episode with the cat in the nursing home, I did get a bit worried tho!

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 12:48 AM
link   
I hope they didn't spend to much money on that research. All they had to do was ask a cat owner.

My cat weighs 20 pounds. He is big and he is very spoiled. When he runs out of food he will jump in my lap, stare at me in the eyes and purr. If I ignore him he will rub the top of his head under my chin until I acknowledge him.

I ask him what is wrong and he will jump down, run to his bowl and give a high pitch meow, as described in the article.

If I am asleep and he runs out of food, he will jump into bed and nip me on the cheek until I wake up and feed him.

If I am eating a bananna he will sit on the chair arm, reach out with his paw and pull my hand towards him so that he can eat my bananna. He can make it look like he is eating the best thing in the world too. He will close his eyes, tilt his head to the side and lay his ears back while he is licking it.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to Amatrine, Bluebelle & mblahnikluver

These cats are very playful, sometimes even crazy & it certainly looks like you get a laugh out of them. I don't have my own cat yet, but hopefully when I eventually move, I'll definitely get one. I also wouldn't mind a dog as well. Alsatians puppies are so cute.

Funny Fat Cat

[edit on 15-7-2009 by kindred]

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
They're the most incredible animals in the world, I'd be completely lost without my two. One of them is currently laying on the floor behind me going "hmmmm hmm hmmmm meh hmmm hmm" as he rolls around. It's incredible how they all have such different personalities. I've had 10 cats so far and they are all poles apart from eachother. I sometimes think that if my kids turn out to be allergic to them, I'll have to put them up for adoption (the kids, not the cats
).

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by kindred

Haha that reminds me of something actually... when I lived at home and still had my cat, my parents decieded to buy an alsation puppy. Turned out to be a big mistake on my parents part!
I dont know about anyone else's cats but my cat was pretty much pure evil to other animals. She never used to take much notice of the dog while he was a puppy, but when he got older it all changed. She used to sit on a table or chair and the silly dog would slowly come towards her, wanting to play with her... and she would just watch him and then when he came close enough she would take a swipe at his nose!.. And a couple of times if they were both on the floor she would actually try and attack him. There's NOTHING funnier then seeing a 70/80lb dog being chased away by a tiny little cat

I reeeeeeeally want one of these cats one day;

www.catsinfo.com...

[edit on 15-7-2009 by Bluebelle]

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron

LOL, cute, thanks for the info.

I have a Maine Coon cat and he is AWESOME. They get really huge though, so you have to have a lot of room and toys for them. Mine is right at 20 lbs, on the large side even though he was very sick a couple of years ago and almost died. I can't imagine how big he would be if he had not gotten sick. We have the largest possible litter box, and it is getting too small, so we have joked that we will have to get a small kiddie pool as a litter box.

The largest on record was 35lbs and 48 inches in length.

Not only does he play fetch, but he likes to play with water, though not IN water. Whenever one of us are taking a shower, he likes to reach in with his paws and bat at the water flowing down, and I can't tell you how many times I have found his water dish empty with most of the contents on the floor.

I swear the cat talks to us all the time, mostly arguing.

One thing he likes to do, is when one of us is walking through the living room, he will run right in front of us and suddenly stop, causing the person to trip. Then when we yell at him, he will "argue" with us. Sometimes he will give a short burst meow, and sometimes he will go into a long preamble. He never moves out of the way at this time in "the game" and as you try to move around him, he moves to be right back in front of you and sits down. If you try to step over him, he jumps in the way again, and then screams as if he has been hurt and starts "berating" us. It is in a way hilarious, and annoying at the same time, as it can take five minutes just to get into the kitchen from the living room when he is playing this game. The living room is right next to the kitchen, probably a five second walk. LOL

Sometimes he will be hanging out with me, and I will chat with him, when I say something that obviously has the "questioning" sound involved, he will respond with a meow or two or three.
I guess it all depends on how much of an answer he thinks I deserve.

Another thing he does, is when the front door is opened he will try to "sneak out", unless we are ignoring him, and then he acts all defeated, lays on the ground and starts rolling around and crying at us. If we try to catch him as he is trying to "sneak" out, he will run around all over the place hollering at us as we chase him. The moment we stop chasing him, he gets all upset, runs over to us and bats at us until we start chasing him again.

If he runs outside, and we don't play the game but shut the door, he immediately runs to the window and starts scratching at it and meowing. If it is open a little bit, he reaches in and starts pulling whatever he can reach outside onto the ground.

The moment I open the door and "ask" him if he want's out, he will sit down, look at me as if I have lost my mind, and start licking his paw.

Sometimes, when you walk by him he will reach out and "slap" you, sometimes with claws (and maine coon claws are HUGE), at other times without his claws. When he does this, and then I "berate" him, he will cry back like "what did I do", and start licking his paw like we are the ones who have lost our minds and woah what he has to put up with.

Like another poster said, when we are sick, our cat will come and cuddle with us and be sooo nice and gentle. It is like he just knows when someone in the family just does not feel right. I have hypoglycemia, and my sugar dropped too low one day, I was sitting on the kitchen floor with some orange juice as I was feeling really dizzy, he came over and laid down right on my leg and just watched me and gently touched me with his paws and purred till I felt better. The touching was not kneading like cats do either. He was definitely just touching me here and there with his paws, like he was checking me out.

I love my cat!
Can you tell with the long post?

Here are some links to pictures of these types of cats, the first one here is more like my cat.

www.backwoodszoocrew.com...

media.photobucket.com...

mcgonnigle.files.wordpress.com...

Here is a wiki page about these types of cats. I have had many different cat's in my life, and this is the most intelligent cat I have ever come across.
en.wikipedia.org...

Harm None
Peace

had to edit, cause I forgot how to spell, probably missed some others too. ahh well, maybe I should ask my cat to help me out. I forgot to add, the darn cat has learned to use my keyboard. No kidding. My husband and I are planning on setting up a video camera and catching him at this. I guess it is because he sees us "playing" with the keyboard, and he want's to know what the fuss is about.

[edit on 15-7-2009 by amazed]

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 02:25 AM
link   
It's been interesting and fun listening to everyones cat stories

Just goes to show how smart cats actually are! While I don't own a cat myself I know people that do and I always spend time playing with them when I get the chance.

They are incredibly smart and also very loving in my opinion, although I have seen a few vicious cats.

I like to mimic the sounds/meows cats make and 90% if I do it to a cat they will reply.

Strange story; a short while ago me and a friend were our local pub enjoying an afternoon drink when we spotted a cat in the bushes of the beer garden.

The cat was basically just sat watching us and not really doing much more.

I did my usual trick of making a cat meow and the cat immediately replied and came over to us.

The cat from this point on wouldn't leave me alone and wouldn't stop meowing, almost crying like. It was then we realised there was something wrong with him and we noticed an infected bite mark on its side and marks on its face.

I went into the pub and spoke to the landlord who informed me that the cat belonged to one of their family members who had recently died and that the cat had been given to them to look after.

Problem was the cat wanted to go back in search of its deceased owner and kept wondering off.

I asked them if I could feed it as it appeared starving so we got some chicken and tuna on a plate and gave it to him. Needless to say he wolfed it down in seconds.

The pub owner then took the cat to the vet and they got him cleaned up and gave him some injections.

Not sure what happened to him after that...

It's funny however that the cat didn't come over to us straight away, only when I made the meow sound, it had been sitting there for over 30 minutes simply watching us but only came over when I called.

Edit to add: Just found these two videos!

When Cats Attack

When Cats Attack Again

[edit on 16/7/09 by Death_Kron]

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 04:58 AM
link   
so THAT's why cats are so cute!

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 05:06 AM
link   

Cats are the absolutely best creatures on the planet.

That includes all cats.

And humans are the worst.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 05:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by spellbound

Cats are the absolutely best creatures on the planet.

That includes all cats.

And humans are the worst.

posted on Jul, 16 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Bluebelle

Yeah typical cat behaviour, just showing the dog whose boss.
My uncle had an alsatian, it was so placid & friendly. The only trouble with alsatians is that their fur gets everywhere. I still want one though.

Territorial Aggression:
Territorial aggression occurs when a cat feels that his territory has been invaded by an intruder. Cats are very territorial—much more so than dogs—and female cats can be just as territorial as males. The behavior patterns in this type of aggression include chasing and ambushing the intruder, as well as hissing and swatting when contact occurs. Territorial problems often occur when a new cat is brought into a household, when a young kitten reaches maturity, or when a cat sees or encounters neighborhood cats outside. It's not uncommon for a cat to be territorially aggressive toward one cat in a family yet friendly and tolerant to another.

Inter-male Aggression: Adult male cats normally tend to threaten, and sometimes fight with, other males. These behaviors can occur as sexual challenges over a female, or to achieve a relatively high position in the cats' loosely organized social hierarchy. This type of aggression involves much ritualized body posturing, stalking, staring, yowling, and howling. Attacks are usually avoided if one cat "backs down" and walks away. If an attack occurs, the attacker will usually jump forward, directing a bite to the nape of the neck, while the opponent falls to the ground on his back and attempts to bite and scratch the attacker's belly with his hind legs. The cats may roll around biting and screaming, suddenly stop, resume posturing, fight again, or walk away. Cats don't often injure one another this way, but you should always check for puncture wounds, which are prone to infection. Neutered males are much less likely to fight in this way—yet another great argument for having your animal sterilized.

Defensive Aggression: Defensive aggression occurs when a cat is attempting to protect himself from an attack he believes he cannot escape. This can occur in response to punishment or the threat of punishment from a person, an attack or attempted attack from another cat, or any incident that makes the animal feel threatened or afraid. Defensive postures include crouching with the legs pulled in under the body, laying the ears back, tucking the tail, and rolling slightly to the side. These responses are not the same as the submissive postures dogs show because they're not intended to "turn off" an attack from another cat. Continuing to approach a cat in this posture is likely to precipitate an attack.

Redirected Aggression: This type of aggression is directed toward another animal, or even a person, who didn't initially provoke the behavior. For example, a household cat sitting in the window may see an outdoor cat walk across the front yard. Because he can't attack the outdoor cat, he may instead turn and attack the family cat sitting next to him in the indow.

www.hsus.org...

Here's a really cute Bengal kitten.

posted on Sep, 19 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   
CATASTIC

PIANO-PLAYING CAT MAKES ORCHESTRA DEBUT

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join