It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do people on this forum make posts about ridiculous things with no viable proof/evidence? And wh

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 04:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by suomichris

Originally posted by JScytale

A sad, true fact. Like the rainbow lady: www.youtube.com...

Important disclaimer: The rainbow lady, despite my moniker for her, has absolutely no idea how rainbows work.

Aw, you can't whip that one out cause it almost completely voids my arguments. But, the fact that everyone knows what that is and everyone is collectively embarrassed that might show that we do have some standards on who we'll carry on a conversation with.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 05:04 AM
link   
Because this is a friggin CONSPIRACY forum, not a science forum!

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 06:13 AM
link   
reply to post by CidCaldensfey

What is one man's "crazy paranoia" is another man's "asute awareness".

If you don't like or feel the posts are "ridiculous" about UFO's and aliens don't go there.

Possibly you are drawn and repelled at the same time to these posts for reasons you will need to personally uncover.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Yeah, I agree.

One person's speculation (here) is good fodder for discussion, thats why.

Not every news source is true and accurate either (CNN, Fox etc), why do we only believe that if it isn't mainstream Anderson Cooper et al that it must not be projected to ever be true or fact?

Besides, quite easy for a man (politician or movie star) to be outted as an adulterer than it is for any average soldier to take a dufflebag full of dulce pics or something off any given military installation (not to mention, illegal). It is not only dangerous to do, it effects more than losing a family/fans like in the aduterer instance, it could mean prison, loss of life or both.

So, I don't care if someone starts a thread that "News flash: Brittany Spears is married a donkey in Siam". I will do the choosing whether I beleive it or not (from a news source or not). Their mental status is not my business nor anyone else's. If so, Dr. Phil would have a website dedicated to people asking for a diagnosis from their 'one paragraph or less-lifestory'. Not only is it not possible to do so, it is ridiculous and arrogant. I took years of psych classes, I don't go around the city listening to discussions and passing out diagnoses at random bus stops either.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 07:15 AM
link   
WHY? Because people on ATS cannot help but take the bait and respond to every thread with exclamation points in the threads title. Not to mention some are using multiple usernames and fake the whole thread. If you do not believe me check out the quotes and misspellings and style of writing some are using. It is not all coincidences.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 07:41 AM
link   
The only thing that puts me off believing most conspiracy theories is how they are so fixated in their belief they throw all logic out of the window which may contradict or make holes in their theory.

If these theorists actually accepted that maybe their theory isn't 100% concrete then I might be more open to believing what they have to say, but the fact they need to kid themselves by disregarding logic and facts which don't support their agenda suggests to me that like their minds their theories are nothing but delusion and grandeur

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 08:28 AM
link   

If these theorists actually accepted that maybe their theory isn't 100% concrete then I might be more open to believing what they have to say, but the fact they need to kid themselves by disregarding logic and facts which don't support their agenda suggests to me that like their minds their theories are nothing but delusion and grandeur

I for one find it interesting to hypothsize on different stuff..for the interest of it all. Some people might rather watch tv and let the movie do their thinking for them, I like to think abstract and imagine all kinds of different scenerios that could be possible. I find it fun. If someone wants to do that, so what? I can be artful if not obsessive or consume one's life/livelyhood. If you want to stop someone from doing so, you have no right to (yet). You can though, not read it or scoff it off as you please, but questioning the motives is as time-wasting as the actual act of creating such conspiracies in one's head.

Lets just all thank God we can even discuss such topics in a some-what public forum without a knock at the door from the net-gestapo (again, yet!).

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by suzque66
...Not every news source is true and accurate either (CNN, Fox etc), why do we only believe that if it isn't mainstream Anderson Cooper et al that it must not be projected to ever be true or fact?...

However, it seem that the opposite is also true with many people here on ATS...

Many people specifically will DISBELIEVE what is said in mainstream media, simply because it is mainstream media. Then those same people seem TOO EAGER to believe something from an alternate news website simply because the information came from an alternate news website. It's like they believe the alternate news only because it's more exciting than the mundane explanations. Everyone wants to believe exciting stories; the mundane can be boring.

When someone offers up a natural or mainstream explanation that is equally logical (or even more logical) than the "alternate" explanation for an event, those people get derided by the ones offering up the alternate explanations, ofthen by being called "sheeple" and accused of being taken in by the mainstream media...

...however, I think the people who are taken in by alternate news websites and blindly believe the news presented on those sites -- simply because it is alternative -- can be called "sheeple" just as easily.

[edit on 7/14/2009 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 08:47 AM
link   

I for one find it interesting to hypothsize on different stuff..for the interest

Hypothesizing is good and healthy!

However if you want to appear credible when proposing a theory, throwing logic away will not aid your cause and unfortunately most of the conspiracy theories out there do away with logic because when you apply the logic, cracks begin to appear in the theory

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by JScytale

it attracts all the nuts and fantasy-prone ignorance peddlers that make up virtually all of the conspiracy scene and most of the UFO scene.

As I did say in the STS-75 tether thread,we still like you though.

Some people forget what this site was created for and find amusement in posting a lot of trash.Same goes for those who only come to ridicule and try to put off those who have an open mind to things.

[edit on 14/7/09 by gallifreyan medic]

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Discotech

However if you want to appear credible when proposing a theory, throwing logic away will not aid your cause and unfortunately most of the conspiracy theories out there do away with logic because when you apply the logic, cracks begin to appear in the theory

True, but...sometimes there will be cases when (just like anyone who believes UFO's are real and tangible) just because it hasn't occured YET or the person/group hasn't been found liable for the conspiracy accusation then it is mere speculation and if someone wants to speculate, let em., I say.

Cracks can happen in theories just as cracks can appear in any given genuine and well known---fact. A certain is never a given until someone else comes along to prove that fact wrong. Beginning the conversation on it (a theory) is harmless and healthy...every scientific fact once began on a theory., time and discussion of the possiblility of such an allegory eventually proves it.

that is until the cycle continues and another theory changes the previous supposed facts...it is endless. But, again, it is for an individual to ponder whether they will tolerate the subject at hand or not. If not, then that is what the X is for at the top right of our screens.

[edit on 14-7-2009 by suzque66]

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 09:00 AM
link   
People see proof as different things. A grainy picture could be useless to some but good to others. It is similar to evidence presented in the court of law. Some judges would see evidence much more different then other judges. You may not believe in aliens visiting our world but others believe it.

Why must you rain on others parades? If the evidence you see it nothing then state your case and move on. If someone actually believe those pictures are true, do you actually think you will convince them otherwise? No.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by gallifreyan medic
...Some people forget what this site was created for and find amusement in posting a lot of trash.Same goes for those who only come to ridicule and try to put off those who have an open mind to things.

[edit on 14/7/09 by gallifreyan medic]

I agree, but having an open mind is a two-way street...

...It seems to me that some people on ATS are close-minded to the logical and mundane explanations for some events. They want to believe the alternative explanation so badly that they will ridicule the logical explanation solely on the basis that it "the mainstream explanation".

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by CidCaldensfey
Whats the point, really? It just seems like this place has always been absolutely crazy in terms of 'theories' and trying to figure out whats true and what isn't true. And after viewing this site over the course of a few years, I've come to actually disregard almost every single supposed ufo picture, video, and theory.

The main reason is because of how people try to back up their claims. Almost every theory is a conspiracy built upon a conspiracy. Like, just sit and try to think of this..Basically, what a lot of people are saying is that...A whole government, maybe even several governments, have people who are aware of some sort of extra-terrestrial presence and government research programs and that they are able to keep these things under absolute wraps.

The thing is though, it is within human nature to be deceptive, greedy, selfish, and all those sort of traits (to one degree or another. Unless you're a monk or something). So I have an extremely hard time fathoming a whole group of people able to keep their mouths shut and their loyality tethered to such secrets when in reality, such secrets would be some of the most VALUABLE secrets in the world.

So if such secrets existed I have no doubt someone would try to steal those secrets and sell them off to the highest bidder. And the alien theories have been stretching back for almost 50-60 years now (with a lot of people saying it's been going way back). But if this were the case, someone would have said something by now. And I say this simply because...Dead people have nothing to fear or care about. Someone would have said something near the end of their life which would give everything away. Either that, or someone would have found out based on things left behind by said deceased.

Regardless of the scandal and who does it, these are always brought to light at some point or another. It doesn't matter if it's some government goon cheating on his wife or some weapons smuggler selling weapons to extremist groups (when in reality most of his funding happens to come primarily from the United States). And the thing is, I can prove these statements because they have happened. The paperwork is there, the testimonies are there, these things REALLY did happen.

And the thing is, you do have people from the military coming out with information about aliens, moon bases, everything. But how come is it that almost all of these people simply talk about it rather than showing any proof? Schematics of a moon base, photographs of the construction of moon base modules, interior photographs of Area-51, all this stuff. If they're able to leak information vocally, without repercussion, then why can't they do the same with actual tangible pieces of evidence?

And you can say 'Well, the reason why the government doesn't do anything to stop them afterward is because they are trying to play it off as not being true by not having him arrested for leaking said information'. And while this -can- make sense, because it is a good tactic should it ever be true, it simply makes more sense to believe the most obvious reason behind it: the fact the guy is spitting out bull# and no action needs to be taken.

So seriously, now...Why even continue year after year with all this crazy stuff ranging from mars bases to planetary councils? And why believe someone who makes an account and pops some prophetic crap out of his ass which doesn't even make any sort of rational sense? How can people who can actually get up, sit on their ass infront of a computer, and actually converse like a normal human being be so gullible?

Honestly now.

[edit on 14-7-2009 by CidCaldensfey]

[edit on 14-7-2009 by CidCaldensfey]

It sounds like you are some enraged. You also sound like you're lost somewhat. Is it the case then?

Btw you don't have 2 believe everything.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 09:20 AM
link   

True, but...sometimes there will be cases when (just like anyone who believes UFO's are real and tangible) just because it hasn't occured YET or the person/group hasn't been found liable for the conspiracy accusation then it is mere speculation and if someone wants to speculate, let em., I say.

The difference with UFO's though is that it's perfectly logical (to me anyway) for there to be other life out in the universe (it's too big for there not to be really) and for that life to be advanced enough to have space travel and for them to visit various planets. Afterall we will be doing the same when we get the technology, we're doing it already with Mars!

Most of other theories however don't seem very logical and it's the fact that most of the believers will not accept that they might be wrong, they put far too much blind faith into a theory which is their choice but does not automatically give their theory more credibility like they expect it should. It's just like religion, I consider that to be the biggest conspiracy theory ever created in the history of man and I refuse to believe because of the amount of blind faith needed and I'm just not the type of person who goes off blind faith as I tend to analyse stuff far too much and apply too much logic but that's me!

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ezappa
If they can hide the production of Black Projects like U2, Stealth Bombers and Fighters, what makes you think they cant hide the truth about a secret goverments or knowledge of alien tech or lifeforms.

Compartmentalization of technology and of knowledge is easy to contain.

Exactly!!!!!!!

Why is it so hard to believe your own government(and others) lie to you OP????

If you do not want to hear whats outside of the mainstream media then I suggest you just watch the 10 O' Clock news and be content.....

Yes there are some theories outside the box on these threads, but none the less, you gotta take the good with the bad.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Donnie Darko

I thought the mission statement of ATS is "Deny Ignorance"?

A conspiracy theory (or claims of ET-visitation) is not of any use if it can't hold up under logical and/or scientific scrutiny. That's one aspect of what it means to "Deny Ignorance".

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People

Originally posted by Donnie Darko

I thought the mission statement of ATS is "Deny Ignorance"?

A conspiracy theory (or claims of ET-visitation) is not of any use if it can't hold up under logical and/or scientific scrutiny. That's one aspect of what it means to "Deny Ignorance".

Screw "scientific scutiny". Science is biased anyway. Ideally yes, it should have to stand up to science, but today's science lives to its ideals about as much as the United States lives to its ideals, in other words, not that much.

Science is so close-minded they discount anything relating to aliens on Earth because they believe the distances are impossible to travel.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Overload

Originally posted by Ezappa
If they can hide the production of Black Projects like U2, Stealth Bombers and Fighters, what makes you think they cant hide the truth about a secret goverments or knowledge of alien tech or lifeforms.

Compartmentalization of technology and of knowledge is easy to contain.

Exactly!!!!!!!

Why is it so hard to believe your own government(and others) lie to you OP????

I'm not the OP, but I'll answer this anyway....

No -- It isn't hard for me to believe "the powers that be" don't tell the whole truth.

However, I'm not readily going to believe an alternative news story simply because it contradicts what mainstream media is saying either. There are many on ATS who do exactly this.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by CidCaldensfey

I agree with what you said 100%, but there really might be Alien bases out there... [NOT] heh I'm just kidding.

Most people post their wild ideas because that's what they want to be true. Their lives are so mundane and boring, this idea of a fantasy like mystery to the world gives them reason to "get up and sit in front of their computers" these people will make a claim and twist what they see or read into all sorts of odd conclusions, they've been doing this for hundreds of years... Going back to biblical times especially. "changing water into wine" "making a blind man see, with absolutely no higher medical or technological understanding what so ever" etc etc.

Even to the seemingly worldwide Alien conspiracy.

Now there could be well there more than likely are other lifeforms existing outside of Earth, that is probably a 100% probability, the distances are just so vast that you never have more than 1 complete world filled with life existing near to each other, the chances that everything went so right without any major disasters to set things back are probably so slim that you don't find many "advanced" lifeforms existing on Planets...

Look at it this way, imagine your sitting in your room, and you look for a life form other than a pet. Do you ever see anything cross your path? An Ant? A fly? A spider? anything? This is just a tiny spec of space and your seeing nothing happening, now imagine that space multiplied 100,000,000,000,000 times... Will you ever come across anything? Will anything EVER come across YOUR path?

It's just logic, and unfortunately most people that post on ATS seem to have NONE.
No deductive reasoning, no rational hypothesis, they just jump to the most absurd and fantastic ideas that pop into their heads.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join