It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IAI forced to withdraw support for Gripen's Indian bid

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   

The USA forced Israel Aerospace Industries to withdraw a proposal to supply an advanced radar to Saab as part of the Swedish company's effort to win a fighter contest in India potentially worth $12 billion

how to piss off sweden AND ensure that NO US jet will win the competition.

sweden will use the ericson AESA set , and likely go to EJ sooner rather than later (or face sanctions from the USA)

and india will see the sort of crap the USA is still pulling , and readily remembers the sanctions only a few years ago - so thats it , doesn`t matter if they offer the F35 it wont happen now.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   
The link for above:

www.jpost.com...

If IAI used parts that the US had previously deemed not for export than they were well within thier rights for it not to be used. WHy is that a shocker? i realize because its the USA and not say the EU its bad (Funny not the other way around) but sheesh

They also will use the Ericson set so why all the anit US rhetoric?

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Gripen jets , 12billion $

sophisticated classified US avionics , > 12billion $

international arguments over Arms Dealing , Priceless

posted on Jul, 7 2009 @ 03:56 AM
link   
reading back my reply tone wasn`t so great - but why is the US forcing IAI not to sell its radar? it doesn`t have any US IP

the link i found it at is:

www.flightglobal.com...

which also mention:

Washington's pressure is not the first example of it forcing the Israeli defence industry to back away from major contracts. IAI several years ago had to cancel a deal to supply China with Phalcon-type airborne early warning systems

the reason cited btw isn`t IP - but cost:

While the USA has claimed that the Gripen has only a "very limited" chance of being selected, the possible inclusion of an Israeli radar would have allowed New Delhi to push down the price of rival offers to supply either the Boeing F/A-18E/F Super Hornet or the Lockheed Martin F-16, the sources add

using the IAI AESA set would mean no US product could ceompete on price - , which is also an admission that lockheed lied about the F35 true costs;

why do i say that? the F-16 is cheaper than the F35 , and if the `source` says the gripen is cheaper cost wise then something reeks on the F35 costs.

posted on Jul, 18 2009 @ 10:31 PM
link   
So, if the US has the capability and the leverage to prevent Israeli technology transfer, to India andChina, per the article, why is there any consternation on this forum about things leaking to the Chinese from Israel?

By all that I see here, any tech that went that way, did so in the full knowledge of the US government.

new topics

top topics

join