It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

140 Dead in Muslim Riots - Western China

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 12:16 AM
link   

129 Dead in Muslim Riots - Western China

www.msnbc.msn.com

BEIJING - At least 129 people were killed in in rioting by a Muslim ethnic group in China's far west, state media said Monday.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 6-7-2009 by Iblis]

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Besides the usual question about whether or not these figures are correct, and whether or not this will lead to implementing further internet restrictions - Do you ever get the feeling Islam needs to just tell its followers to tone it down a bit?

Three different points to look at - Have fun with whichever path you choose.

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 12:19 AM
link   
WOW I was just about to post this beat me to it!!

So they cut off the cell phones to keep them from organizing well what about word of mouth I wonder how they intend to stop that? I say not much will come of this the Chinese goverment will just mow them over with there military like in the square and that will be the end to that.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 12:24 AM
link   
That's likely - And really, in recent years China has sustained much worse than this be it through natural or man made disasters.
One hand, there's my concern that this'll further hamper freedom in China.
On the other, its further aggression by Islam - which means either we're failing as a global entity to incorporate Islam, or the religion is failing to control its members.
And then there's simply the number. Over one hundred people. Can you imagine what'd happen in the states, Britain, France, if we had an accident kill over one-hundred people? Let alone by riots and mobs?
There would be such an immense crack down and social revoltion it'd be indescribable.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 12:40 AM
link   
It is not looking good. Riot's like these usually escalate.

An initial investigation showed the violence was masterminded by the separatist World Uighur Congress led by Rebiya Kadeer," the government said in a statement, according to Xinhua.

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Considering this is a riot the casualties are likely to escalate, I'm going to take a shot and say at-least twenty more by this time tomorrow.

What do you imagine the backlash will be by the government? Islam?
Do you imagine any words by western leaders?
And how does this compare to Iran?

Update from John's thread: 140+ dead.

[edit on 6-7-2009 by Iblis]

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Violence in China's restive western region of Xinjiang has left at least 140 people dead and more than 800 people injured, state media say.

BBC has video: news.bbc.co.uk...

edit: this video is crazy they are going crazy man over in china!

Violence in China's restive western region of Xinjiang has left at least 140 people dead and more than 800 people injured, state media say.

Several hundred people have also been arrested after the violence erupted in the city of Urumqi on Sunday.

Xinhua news agency said police restored order after demonstrators attacked passers-by and set fire to vehicles.

The government has blamed separatist Uighurs based abroad for orchestrating attacks on majority ethnic Han Chinese.

Uighur exiles said police had fired indiscriminately on a peaceful protest. An overnight curfew was imposed.

'Foreign plot'

Eyewitnesses said the violence started on Sunday with a few hundred people, and grew to more than 1,000.

Xinhua says the protesters carried knives, bricks and batons, smashed cars and stores, and fought with security forces.

Uighur groups insisted a peaceful protest had become victim to state violence.

The Xinjiang government has blamed the latest unrest on businesswoman Rebiya Kadeer, the Uighurs' leader who is living in exile in the United States.

"An initial investigation showed the violence was masterminded by the separatist World Uighur Congress led by Rebiya Kadeer," the government said in a statement, according to Xinhua.

It said the violence had been "instigated and directed from abroad".

The BBC's Quentin Sommerville in China says Xinjiang, a mainly Muslim area, has been a source of tension for many years.

Some of its Uighur population of about eight million, want to break away from China, and its majority Han Chinese population.

The authorities say police are securing order across the region and anyone disrupting order will be detained and punished.

[edit on 6-7-2009 by john124]

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 01:42 AM
link   
The riots are reportedly beginning to stemy and break up, largely due to police action. Looks like this won't bloom into much - though I'm still surprised by the sheer number dead and injured - over 1,000.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 03:41 AM
link   
Rioters like this need to be dealt with.

If i was the leader of china these protestors would be pelted with runner bullets and then sent to jail.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 04:45 AM
link   
American news is still talkin about Micheal jackson.....

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by juzchilln
American news is still talkin about Micheal jackson.....

Pentagon officially announced it would declare psychological warfare on the American people by planting propaganda in the corporate media

Link...

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Interesting that this riots by muslim seems to be spreading slowly over Europe even reaching a nation like China.

If this doesn't smell like some kind of agenda then I wonder what it is.

Are this muslin groups getting all together to eventually create a global chaos in every nation.

I wonder when the cells in the US will start rioting too.

Oh, I forgot in America the nation of the free even this radical groups inciting riots in other nations including China knows that we are not so free anymore.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 08:18 AM
link   
For a number of years now there have been whispered reports of China having problems with their Muslim segment... this would be one of the first official news releases that I can recall... but I do remember reading a report how some nations like China and Russia were struggling with exploding populations of Muslim's that threatened to destabilize their governments....China however, wouldn’t blink twice when faced with backlash over ethnic cleansing… (See Tibet)

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Scooby Doo

I agree , it is only gonna get worse over there...those folks are getting fed up with the bs.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 08:32 AM
link   
Not a fan of an increasing islamic population anywhere- that being said this situation is a little more complicated and is as much about race/ethnicity as it is about religion- perhaps a look into the future about how forced "diversity" is not necessarily a good thing (millions of chinese hans shipped into an area which is ethnically turkish/caucasiod)

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   
from a violent cult like religion i would expect no less from them.

everything from .....
child molestation
abuse of women
to flat genocide

i say the world can do without the Muslim belief system.
as with all of them that condone and breed vengeful hate and crap like this religion does.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 09:18 AM
link   
OK,

I read the full article.

The only thing I found as to a stated caused of the violence is that non-muslims were moving into the area.

Is their a additional reason?

IS it really just because non-muslims are moving into the area???

This is a serious question and I will only accept provable answer's (read with links) so we all can confirm or deny it.

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Ok,

Here is a source with reasons:

Muslims accuses the government of settling millions of ethnic Han in their territory with the ultimate goal of obliterating its identity and culture.

They also cite a recent government plan that has brought the teaching of Mandarin Chinese in Xinjiang schools, replacing their local dialect.

Islameonline

So China dares settle people where it wants within it's own borders...how dare they.

OMFG, China also dared to teach "Chinese" in Chinese schools, the horror......

There was also a small blurb about a couple of muslims and a "Han" ethnic chinese.

That justifies mass rioting ????

Is this more evidence of the "religion of peace and love"?????????

posted on Jul, 6 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by mrmonsoon
So China dares settle people where it wants within it's own borders...how dare they.

OMFG, China also dared to teach "Chinese" in Chinese schools, the horror......

There was also a small blurb about a couple of muslims and a "Han" ethnic chinese.

That justifies mass rioting ????

Is this more evidence of the "religion of peace and love"?????????

Just to step back a second, and I oppose the increasing islam population in the UK, it is a bit more complicated- it is a separatist issue which occurs across much of the world- religion is one part, as is race/ethnicity.

To be honest I wouldn't want to be ruled by communists (or islamists)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join