It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tiny robot walker made from DNA

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Scientists have created a microscopic walking robot using only the building blocks of life: DNA.
The tiny walker is only 10 nanometres long and has been described as a major step forward in nanotechnology.

A New York University team created the robot using DNA legs that move along a footpath, which is also based on DNA.

The legs move by detaching themselves from the footpath, moving along it and then reattaching themselves, New Scientist reports.

news.bbc.co.uk...

well this is one of the most interesting things I've read in a long while and possibley a great step forward for technology. Where exactly could this lead? The possiblilities are immense.

[Edited on 6-5-2004 by UglyBoy]

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Nano technology is a pathway to seriously bad things. I watched a documentary on the subject recently and it terrified me. I think the pros out wiegh the cons on this one. As with most things, this technology will do far more harm than good once the military get their hands on it. .

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by earthtone
Nano technology is a pathway to seriously bad things. I watched a documentary on the subject recently and it terrified me. I think the pros out wiegh the cons on this one. As with most things, this technology will do far more harm than good once the military get their hands on it. .

What sort of stuff can be made from nanotech? Apart from enhancing sense and stuff or have i watched *way* too much Sci-fi lol

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Well I think it'll be the same as with every technology. We will use it to make both bad and good things it's just what us humans do.

And Stuey this is after a quick search on google maybe not the best sites but I'm sure you can do more research yourself.
nanotech-now.com...
www.msu.edu...

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Thanks for that, ill have a look about if i find anything else i'll post the URL's on here or something
What bad things could nanotech be used for? A sort of Biochemical weapon that takes you apart from the inside out?? I have an active imagination lol

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Don't worry I'm sure much worse stuff has gone through the mind of an evil man.

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stuey1221

What sort of stuff can be made from nanotech? Apart from enhancing sense and stuff or have i watched *way* too much Sci-fi lol

The potential for mass killing is large stuey, widespread killing and more weapons for out great leaders to 'creat democracy' with.

will be a significant breakthrough, comparable perhaps to the Industrial Revolution�but compressed into a few years. This has the potential to disrupt many aspects of society and politics. The power of the technology may cause two competing nations to enter a disruptive and unstable arms race. Weapons and surveillance devices could be made small, cheap, powerful, and very numerous. Cheap manufacturing and duplication of designs could lead to economic upheaval. Overuse of inexpensive products could cause widespread environmental damage. Attempts to control these and other risks may lead to abusive restrictions, or create demand for a black market that would be very risky and almost impossible to stop

Specifically terror devices etc.

Criminals and terrorists with stronger, more powerful, and much more compact devices could do serious damage to society. Defenses against these devices may not be installed immediately or comprehensively. Terrorists could have a field day. Chemical and biological weapons could become much more deadly and much easier to conceal. Many other types of terrifying devices are possible, including several varieties of remote assassination weapons that would be difficult to detect or avoid. If such devices were available from a black market or a home factory, it would be quite difficult to detect them before they were used; a random search capable of spotting them would be a clear violation of current human rights standards in most civilized countries. Detecting a criminal user after the fact might also be difficult; since many devices can be computer-controlled and networked, the criminal does not have to be at the scene.

crnano.org...

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Man, that website thinks it's coming soon too!

Overview: Molecular nanotechnology (MNT) manufacturing means the ability to build devices, machines, and eventually whole products with every atom in its specified place. MNT is coming soon�almost certainly within 20 years, and perhaps in less than a decade. When it arrives, it will come quickly.

So we are going to see this crazy shizit in our lifetimes..?

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Scary isn't it. The masses are scared of terror now think how bad it will be when terrorist develop this stuff.

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 10:00 AM
link   
This is it, it's so pointless when our grand leaders and their military engineer these horrible killing devices, soon enough they will have to battle their own creations themselves, thus meaning they have to engineer even more powerfull killing thingys. Stupid huh? did that make sense?

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 10:12 AM
link   

This is it, it's so pointless when our grand leaders and their military engineer these horrible killing devices, soon enough they will have to battle their own creations themselves, thus meaning they have to engineer even more powerfull killing thingys. Stupid huh? did that make sense?

Can anyone say Terminator lol Seems this is where its all heading if you all catch my drift

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Can anyone say Terminator lol Seems this is where its all heading if you all catch my drift

No, not really, I see more of like nanobots getting in water supplies then killing us from the inside, or just flying around in the air chew the skin off my face.

I can almost imagine a form of techno-magik

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Yeah like in Deus Ex or Anarchy Online!! That would be cool but frighting at the same time...

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic
No, not really, I see more of like nanobots getting in water supplies then killing us from the inside, or just flying around in the air chew the skin off my face.

The future is a scary scary place. I hope it never gets that bad.

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I know the part about having ya face chewed off amused me lol, but who knows what'll happen in the future! I reckon that more good than bad will come from this but only time will tell

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 09:56 PM
link   

I know the part about having ya face chewed off amused me lol, but who knows what'll happen in the future! I reckon that more good than bad will come from this but only time will tell

I Loved that comment as well. ha ha well, it would have the potential for mass healing if a virus outbreak happened. But, probably the virus was caused by millions of other nanobots. ha ha

Hopefully, they will be made and used for the good of society, but I am sure some twisted stuff will arise.... Think, if they can alter DNA or cells, either keep our bodies functioning and in good shape or make up x-men/women (politically correct eh?
) or make us into lumps of mashed potatoes.....

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 10:04 PM
link   
i want to put some nano robots inside me so i can be immortal, thus my plan on world domination will prevail (har har)

seriously, this technology will see it's ups and downs, i hope the good outweight the bad. but considering the nuclear power we harnessed, i can only imagine the near future is bleak unless some patriots finally have the courage to stand up and fight

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 10:09 PM
link   

u just said that the pros outweigh the cons...as in the good stuff outweighs the bad stuff....as in there is so much good stuff that the bad stuff can be ignored......

anyway, there might be a lot of bad stuff involved but the same goes with prescription drugs. if used correctly, it can help. anybody see that movie Jason X? those nanobots brought the girl back to life but it also brought Jason back as well.

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by UglyBoy
Don't worry I'm sure much worse stuff has gone through the mind of an evil man.

and yes.....u are correct.
i have tons of ideas.
MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Nanotech will be able to do wonderful things, but I do have concerns. Here's a link about one of the problems:

www.nanotechweb.org...

The last study in the list is about the damage bucky balls do to the brains of fish.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join