It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wireless Networking for Home

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2003 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Hey everybody,
I have a question. I am looking into getting a wireless network for my house and I was wondering if anyone knew what brands and/or specs I should be looking into. I have a cable modem at home and will be networking a PC and 2 laptops. Oh and it will be in my basement. Moving everything around because the office is now the spare room and the spare room is going to be the nursery
so the office had to be relocated to the basement. I know we have a few techies on this board so I was hoping to get some feedback from you all. I was looking at Siemens, because I think I can get the whole shebang for about $350 (U.S.). Any suggestions?
Thanks,

posted on Feb, 10 2003 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Linksys

Best cost/range/security combination.

posted on Feb, 10 2003 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Thanks William,
I have another questionn though. I really am an idiot when it comes to networking stuff as I have never done it. What components would I need exactly? I know 3 cards (one for the Desktop and 2 for the laptops) and the wireless thingie. But do I need to get a router as well so that I can get everything online at once? Will the linksys aslo allow me to share the printer? I have been reading about them on Circuitcity.com but none of it makes sense to me... it is all tech speak.
any help is hugely appreciated.

posted on Feb, 10 2003 @ 10:15 AM
link   
The Linksys router will act as a firewall between your cable modem and computers. If you have one computer you can hard-wire into the Linsys, (your PC) that's best (it has one hard-wire ethernet port) since it will then been more simple to set-up.

If you're using Microsoft Home Networking, and everything is on PC's, then you should be able to share whatever printer is connected to the computer with the hard-wire connection to the router. It's pretty simple to set up. There would be no need for the router to have a print server (which only works with network capable printers like laser printers... most inkjets are not network capable).

Your two laptops will need wireless network PCMCIA cards. Most are around $99 each and Linksys makes those as well. Check their site, they may have a price bundle on router and PC cards for your laptops. Configuration is relatively easy, just follow the instructions that comes with the cards.

You'll need the Linsys router: www.linksys.com...
Two laptop cards: www.linksys.com...

Total price should be under $400.

I have a home network configured the same way, except two of our laptops are Macs... it works great. There are some security concerns, but after you're set-up, U2U me and I'll help you understand what to do (I'm in an apartment building and my Mac can log onto 4 other wireless networks within range... but no one can get into ours).

posted on Feb, 10 2003 @ 10:15 AM
link   
I have to agree with William. I am using a linksys here at the office and I have Mac (Classic and OS X), Windows, and linux all running on it. Plus it is fairly easy to understand.

posted on Feb, 10 2003 @ 10:23 AM
link   
william stole the words out of my mouth before I got done posting this...if you have more questions feel free to ask me as well. I've done quite a few wireless installs for my clients

[Edited on 10-2-2003 by Grommer]

posted on Feb, 10 2003 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Thanks everybody. Good info. Upon your advice and that of our IT people I am going to look at linksys over everyone else. My IT people only had one concern that being security. They also suggested I buy a linksys wireless router but also hardwire all the rooms I want to have access so that I can use it both ways wireless or hardwired. Also they suggested this due to cost (I could get the wireless router now and get the cards later if I wanted them). Does this make sense? IT guy said I could get a linksys wireless 4 port router for about $99.99 on ebay.

posted on Feb, 10 2003 @ 10:56 AM
link   
observer, are you from Kentucky? I saw U of L rules.. Has to be the Ville right?
I am in Paris, Ky is why I am asking.

posted on Feb, 10 2003 @ 11:15 AM
link   
There are several things you can do to get your wireless connection just a secure as your wired connection. First off, with your wireless cards, change the WEP key IMMEDIATELY! most people DO NOT change this out of the box, all hackers have to do is look around on the manufacturers website to find this original key. Enable MAC spoofing on your router. enable all of the advanced features on your firewall. Read your manual, and always do more research on your particular device, and any vulnarabilitys it might have. Also, a great site is www.dslreports.com they have a great wireless, and security forum, some of the best I've seen

posted on Feb, 10 2003 @ 11:18 AM
link   
We use linksys and never have any problems.

posted on Feb, 10 2003 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Wellcome to the 21th century !

Welcome to the future of home networking. Phonex Broadband's QX-202 NeverWire 14 uses the existing home A/C wiring to pass digital signals between Ethernetenabled devices, without running new wire. This facilitates sharing a single high-speed Internet modem among multiple computers, sharing data files, streaming audio/video as well as playing interactive computer games between PCs. The QX-202 allows you the flexibility to place a computer anywhere in your home or small office with flawless, uninterrupted high-speed Internet access, simply by plugging your computer into any QX-202 equipped A/C outlet. The QX-202 NeverWire 14 can also be easily installed by anyone within minutes.

www.phonex.com...

[Edited on 10-2-2003 by ultra_phoenix]

posted on Feb, 10 2003 @ 12:21 PM
link   
-blah-

Wireless is it. With a wireless laptop, you can surf and do work anywhere you like... even your favorite easy chair.

posted on Feb, 10 2003 @ 12:24 PM
link   
another good solution, but you have to admit wireless is so COOL!!! ok, that's probably not enough to justify a wireless install in this case, although I'd be up for it
But the disadvantage...still have to have wires

posted on Feb, 10 2003 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by K_OS
observer, are you from Kentucky? I saw U of L rules.. Has to be the Ville right?
I am in Paris, Ky is why I am asking.

Yep, I work for UofL, went here for my undergrad and am the only 30 year old pursuing a master's in History here.

My AP prediction for tonight:
#1 Arizona
#2 UK (sorry my British friends.. that's the University of Kentucky not United Kingdom
)
#3 UofL

[Edited on 10-2-2003 by observer]

[Edited on 10-2-2003 by observer]

posted on Feb, 10 2003 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I was intrigued by the AC internet thing. I saw a Siemens version on the net and there was an article in the local paper about this as well. My question is how the hell does it work? How long has it been around?
There are too many options out there. My brain is starting to hurt.

posted on Feb, 10 2003 @ 12:51 PM
link   
been around since the late 90's. It just uses existing power lines in your house.

posted on Feb, 10 2003 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by observer

I was intrigued by the AC internet thing.

Did you go to their website ?

posted on Feb, 10 2003 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by ultra_phoenix

Originally posted by observer

I was intrigued by the AC internet thing.

Did you go to their website ?

No. But I was reading about the Siemen's product at a few retailer websites. The idea of having every power outlet an internet hub is really cool.

posted on Feb, 11 2003 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Well, I got the router (wireless) and have managed to setup one computer (my laptop). This thingis sweeeettt!!! I took everyone's advice and got linksys. I was able to carry the laptop to the end of my backyard (which is huge) and it was still fast as heck!! This rules. Thanks for all your help.
William I am going to U2U U now for the security stuff.

top topics

join