It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK: Compulsory National ID Card Abandoned... Or Not?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 04:05 AM
link   

Climbdown on compulsory ID cards
As a result of Mr Johnson's announcement, foreign nationals living and working in the UK will be the only group of people who will have to have the cards, with 50,000 already having been issued.

bbc.co.uk

Great news right? This hideous, totalitarian scheme all of a sudden poses no threat. We appear to have won....

..or not:

** The ID scheme has NOT been shelved, cancelled, or even significantly changed **
The Home Office's idea of "voluntary" is not the same as yours and mine. Since 2004 the scheme was (and it still is) to proceed by "designating" one-by-one under the Identity Cards Act 2006 other documents issued by official bodies -- in the first place passports. Once a document has been designated, you won't be able to apply for one without also applying to be entered, for life, on the national identity register. If you don't agree to be registered it won't be that you are refused (say) a passport; you'd have voluntarily decided not to apply. There's no compulsion to have a passport. It is useful for travelling. But you aren't compelled to travel.

From an email received from NO2ID.

Keep fighting it people.

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 05:07 AM
link   
pretend to give in, but go ahead behind the scenes.

classic, isn't it? as long as there are few tangible consequences, totalitarians will keep trying every so often, obviously.

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 05:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Long Lance

Exactly. Doublespeak, lying through their teeth, incremental introduction etc. It's nothing new for them and I find it hard to believe the NWO would abandon such a crucial step in their grand plan. The ID will be compulsory for anyone who wants to travel, drive, work etc.

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 06:16 AM
link   
It's only compulsary for those who are not British........ so that's good for me..... and yes i believe it would make sense for those non British passport holders to carry one of these cards!!

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 06:51 AM
link   
OK then...only for non British people living in Britain right?

So what we are saying then, is that we should spend 10-15 billion pounds to give out ID cards to the non British?!

Does this include the hundreds of thousands of illegal non British residents too i wonder...

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by spikey
OK then...only for non British people living in Britain right?

So what we are saying then, is that we should spend 10-15 billion pounds to give out ID cards to the non British?!

Does this include the hundreds of thousands of illegal non British residents too i wonder...

Well unfortunately i don't think the government will be able to find all the illegals running around in this Country and it's most likely those ones which will be upto no good.....

I also think that although ID cards may stop terrorists from entering the country it won't stop them all and yes it is a lot of cash especially when you think about the so-called chip that's on it's way!!!

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Hopefully it will be rejected, i dont want a stupid card to take everywhere with me.

posted on Jul, 3 2009 @ 09:21 AM
link   
It won't be rejected. They'll tell us we're not forced to have one, but gradually, over the course of the next decade or so, they'll make more and more freedoms impossible without 'volunteering' to take an ID card.

[edit on 3/7/2009 by Cythraul]

new topics

top topics

join