It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Baltimore Harbor Tunnel Closed - Explosives found

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 04:06 AM
link   
Baltimore Harbor Tunnel and All of I895 have been shut down due to Explosived being found. This was breaking on my way home from work at about 2:20 am.

BALTIMORE (AP) - Gov. Bob Ehrlich ordered the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel closed Wednesday after at least nine munitions were found at a construction site once used by the Navy to disassemble ships, state officials said.

www.wtopnews.com...

[Edited on 6-5-2004 by baked]

[Edited on 6-5-2004 by baked]

[Edited on 5-6-2004 by Valhall]

[Edited on 5-6-2004 by Valhall]

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 04:11 AM
link   

Initially, five explosive devices were found. Teams later found four more devices Wednesday night. The devices ranged in size from 500 to 4,000 pounds, said Cpl. Greg Prioleau, a spokesman for the Maryland Transportation Authority police.

Damn!
I wonder how long they were laying around there.
Did they come from one of the ships they were dismantling?

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 04:16 AM
link   
None of the other news channels are reporting this. They will whe rush hour hits here in about an hour.

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 04:17 AM
link   
Wow, that is a biggy. Will be interesting to see what slant the press puts on it, and if they have any immediate idea of who is responsible.

B

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 04:19 AM
link   

Baltimore's Harbor Tunnel Thruway was shut down Wednesday night and access to a wide area around Fairfield restricted as Army and police explosives experts examined large World War II-era munitions discovered near an old shipyard site.

Baltimore Sun

World War II era!
Wow, they must have been there for quite a while.

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 04:23 AM
link   

Contractor Potts and Callahan was working on an excavation project at the site, which is near a parking lot where Mazdas and Toyotas are placed when they are unloaded from ships.

It says WW2 but not US WW2. Could they have been smuggled in on a ship carying the cars and possible in the cars?

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 04:41 AM
link   
I guess I just answered my own question.

The first bomb unearthed -- which resembled those dropped from airplanes -- had been defused before the workers with Potts & Callahan Contracting Co. discovered it, said Cpl. Greg Prioleau, a spokesman for the Maryland Transportation Authority Police.

I doubt this would be the type that would be smuggled in unless they planned on dropping them from planes. Probably just forgotten about. Damn, thats pretty dangerous area to keep those.

posted on May, 6 2004 @ 05:48 AM
link   
Living in Baltimore, I know this isnt a bad thing. There are 3 or 5 WWII era bombs. Im getting conflicting reports. One doesnt have a fuse they dont know about the others. They were found when a company was clearing a ship scrapyard for use. Theyre not even sure there are explosives in them. Heres a local news site www.wjz.com...

top topics

join