It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Starving Artist Thread. Come live among the Bohemians!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   
So I have looked deep within myself very recently due to some major hardships I have had to endure. My art has always been paramount in my life, and I leave my normal life behind. Now, my normal life, sadly, gets much more time invested in it, just because I'm trying to live. However, my art always has my head, and I'm constantly in deep thought about it.

I was just laid off of work for no apparent reason. Immediately, I was not personally affected at all. I was actually quite happy, even knowing I wouldn't be able to eat or pay rent this month. I was happy to have my time to dedicate to my music and my DJ gigs. There was something very freeing about it, but I suppose the real world will come crashing upon my head soon enough.

For now though, I am looking at ways to stay in this limbo. Maybe make enough money to get by for now with my music. I can manage artists, DJ around the city, and play for peanuts at the local bar. Also, maybe start my own musician-networking company for ad revenue.

Anyway, I guess it got me wondering, given that there are so many artistic people on these forum, who else has given up their normal life for the life of a Bohemian?

What have you given up for your art?

Has anything ever been taken away because of your obsession with it? Was it for the best?

How far are you willing to take it before you throw in the towel?

For me, I think I could be domesticated, but my music will never end. I can't let it, or it will build up inside me and ruin other healthy parts of my life. Art is wonderfully cathartic.

I look forward to hearing what your thoughts are on this subject.

Here is where you can hear some of my music: theDIVIDER

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 04:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by SantaClaus

Anyway, I guess it got me wondering, given that there are so many artistic people on these forum, who else has given up their normal life for the life of a Bohemian?

What have you given up for your art? my anonymity

Has anything ever been taken away because of your obsession with it? Was it for the best? my families privacy

How far are you willing to take it before you throw in the towel? ive gone 100% underground

my art led to me using the internet to promote my act which is a double edged sword indeed.

although ive reached a nice bit of notoriety my family was exposed to the seedy underbelly of online forums.

it has forced me to remain anonymous online 97% of the time.

new topics

join