It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Schwarzenegger Declares Fiscal Emergency

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Schwarzenegger Declares Fiscal Emergency

cbs5.com

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger has declared a fiscal emergency to address California's deficit and has ordered state offices closed three days a month to save cash.
The Legislature will have 45 days to send him a plan to balance the state's budget, which ended the fiscal year with a $24.3 billion deficit. The shortfall is expected to grow by $7 billion because the Legislature did not enact several stopgap measures on Tuesday
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   
This came out over the radio here in Northern California about 20 minutes ago. Right when it did we started hearing people in cars honking their horns non stop for almost 15 minutes. There was a train coming thru at the time and it to was laying on the horn over and over!
I can understand we are in trouble here but it makes me very happy that more people than we thought are paying attention to it
MANY people that I know are happy that the Governor is FINALLY making the legislature do their dang job and get this thing done and over with. They have wasted far to much money and time on their own pet projects over the years and THEY NOT US should have to pay the piper for it! xoxo

cbs5.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 1-7-2009 by xoxo stacie]

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I guess the California congress are going to have to sacrifice some of their kick backs from their corporate lobbyists this year since they won't be able to spend all the tax payers money on them. Boo hoo for them.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Just have all the over paid athletes and hollywood actors give some of the millions upon millions of dollars that they make each year up.. rediculous.. I am glad that many people are paying attetion like you stated though, good to see alot are aware of the troubled situation! Star n Flagged keep this updated as many other states are sure to follow!

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by lighter78
Just have all the over paid athletes and hollywood actors give some of the millions upon millions of dollars that they make each year up.. rediculous.. I am glad that many people are paying attetion like you stated though, good to see alot are aware of the troubled situation! Star n Flagged keep this updated as many other states are sure to follow!

Actually a large number of actors and athlete's that live here are heavy into non profit donations and helping with parks and children's programs. There are many of them that are actually run by actors etc and they do a lot of good for many communities.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Ok so California's been broke how many times?

This isn't the first time, it won't be the last. Next the Feds will have to bail out the state governments that waisted all of yout tax dollars on crap.
Now you get to pay to keep your state goverment running twice. Once with your state taxes and soon again with another bail out.

What is that you guys don't get? Vote them ALL out of office.

edit typo

[edit on 1-7-2009 by wyleecoyote]

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   
This is stupidity... California made a huge amount of money during the housing boom and pissed it all away on special interest projects and social engineering. Now our car registrations have doubled, property tax rates are still being set to 2007 standards even though most of us have lost 20% or more on our home values and gas, cigarettes and any other item they can levy to pay for THEIR mistakes are going through the roof. Thank god the weather is nice or we would all be suicidal.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by wyleecoyote

Amen Brother!

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by axiomuser

Amen yourself. I forgot to add the part about your gas tax, property tax and smoke tax already being so high it's criminal.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   
It seems to me like this same story has been repeated over and over for at least six months. "California bankrupt, imminent danger of total shutdown, Governor tells Legislature they have 45 days to come up with a budget." Yet, they just keep chugging along and the same headlines get reprinted every six weeks.

My latest pet theory is that TPTB crashed the economies of the world in order to drain the accumulated wealth (mostly fictional, anyway) from the middle classes so they would have no resources with which to rebel. Simultaneously, this caused many of the States of the US to plunge into dire straits as well, due to seriously diminished tax revenues and seriously overburdened social programs.

As the economy continues the slide into the abyss, more and more industries are wrecked. Companies who did not become multi-national and offshore significant percentages of their workforces have to lay off workers en masse. This increases the burden on States' unemployment/welfare programs, creating a negative feedback loop in those States' budgets.

The unemployed masses have no hope of maintaining the lifestyle they had become accustomed to, but continue with their entitlement mentality, growing increasingly dependent upon federal largesse to finance even their most basic needs. In exchange, they are allowed (ha!) to volunteer (haha!) in their community, so as to provide some return on the government's investment.

The current generation is not comfortable with this massive change, but getting a check from the government in exchange for volunteering (hahaha!) in the community isn't such a bad tradeoff, is it? It's rather like being employed, just in a different capacity and under a new boss. The next generation comes up under this system and thinks it is normal.

Change perceptions and you change behavior.

Perhaps there is a reason that there are now five states who cannot seem to muster the wherewithall to balance their budgets. Perhaps, indeed.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Californias congress is a godamn joke. They wouldn't even legalize Californias largest cash crop. WERE IN A DAMN HOLE DO YOU THINK ITS COOL TO KEEP YOUR IGNORANCE IN POLICY ON HARMLESS MIND ALTERING SUBSTANCES YOU STUPID POLITICIANS. God. Sheesh. It's almost as if they want to lose their jobs.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Arnie should show some guts and repeal the tax breaks for SUV purchases. It's a start. How sick that there ever was such a thing? I am disgusted by people who buy those strictly for vanity.

California isn't the only state government that shut down today. It's hitting the people who need help the most hard. So many of these state legislators are bluffing and too cowardly to take corrective actions that may "offend" their lobbyists. Let's all offend those hobbyists and no bid contractors - especially friends of the last Pres. administration.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   
So it's officialy "Git tu ze choppa" time in california. I have to say, if you have high taxes on everything and you are still out of money, maybe it's you. I think its also somewhat funny that the first solution brought up to fix this budget gap isn't the cutting of any one of the several frivelous programs they have set-up, but instead the legalization of a drug.

You already have massive welfare payments going to people that don't work, go ahead and make a drug they do legal, that'll get them right off the welfare train and into full fledged functioning member of society mode. "I was going to just sit here and collect my check but now that they are supplying me drugs too, I guess I need to contribute something in exchange".

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   
People who don't live in California need to pay very close attention to this story and what is going on in California.

I lived in Los Angeles for a decade between 1980 and 1990 and one thing about California is it establishes trends.

Fashion, music, social, cosmetic, political, economic trends!

What typically is happening in California today is not happening anywhere else. It is truly a cutting edge place and state.

What typically is happening in California today is...repeat is going to be happening everywhere...repeat everywhere else six months to one year from now...

This is only the beginning of a Hollywood Sequel coming to a town and state near you soon!

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler
People who don't live in California need to pay very close attention to this story and what is going on in California.

I lived in Los Angeles for a decade between 1980 and 1990 and one thing about California is it establishes trends.

What typically is happening in California today is not happening anywhere else. It is truly a cutting edge place and state.

What typically is happening in California today is...repeat is going to be happening everywhere...repeat everywhere else six months to one year from now...

This is only the beginning of a Hollywood Sequel coming to a town and state near you soon!

100% agree....As an ex Californian, I can see where this mess could escalate into something dangerous very quickly...and not just for CA..

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   
The last presidential administration did reduce a lot of federal taxes and shifted the responsibilities for infrastructure, education, public health (and many other things) more heavily on to state and local governments. That's part of the problem we're seeing today. My property taxes tripled in eight years under Bush and state taxes went up a little but not enough to account for the losses, plus I live in a Republican state. The schools couldn't run and the roads deteriorated without budget over-rides and bond issues. Bush's tax cuts were costly for ordinary people like me. Now the states don't know how to make up for the losses of federal revenues.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by lighter78

Gosh what a great idea!

That way they can all flee to another state because Cali tried to rob them of their money, and which ever state they come to can enjoy the income from normal taxes on them, while California completely collapses as the wealthy flee in droves!

Tax the rich!

(PS I advise, at the very least, a basic economics 101 course at your local community college)

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChrisCrikey
The last presidential administration did reduce a lot of federal taxes and shifted the responsibilities for infrastructure, education, public health (and many other things) more heavily on to state and local governments. That's part of the problem we're seeing today. My property taxes tripled in eight years under Bush and state taxes went up a little but not enough to account for the losses, plus I live in a Republican state. The schools couldn't run and the roads deteriorated without budget over-rides and bond issues. Bush's tax cuts were costly for ordinary people like me. Now the states don't know how to make up for the losses of federal revenues.

Firstly, Washington doesnt set property taxes. The state you live in does does. If you are griping about how much you paid in property taxes Bush or Obama have nothing to do with that.

Second. Bush tax cuts...where to begin. I recieved 1100$ in my hand of stimulus money from the bush administration in 8 years and my tax rate would be 9% higher had it not been for the Bush Tax cut.

Third. We are past the point of blaming california's problem on everyone else. Ample evidence proves California is California's problem.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by RolandBrichter

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler

100% agree....As an ex Californian, I can see where this mess could escalate into something dangerous very quickly...and not just for CA..

No such thing as an ex-Californian my friend as ..."You can check out any time you want...but you can never leave"

The Eagles Hotel California

California is always a state to watch, and most of us are in fact tied to it in one way or another. There is a tremendous amount of wealth in California from all over the world, not to mention the Bohemian Club and Grove and the importance it plays in shaping events.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   
So when do the first welfare checks not go out? Anybody know the date?

Thats when the SHTF.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join