It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We might be experiencing more gas shortages this summer.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 08:47 PM
link   
As the prices of gasoline keep rising it seems that it will get worse this summer.

Reuters: Oil Sets New Highs on Security Concerns
"The question being asked is whether stockbuilds in May and June will be enough to meet demand in July and August, when everyone takes to the road for vacation, and the industry's answer at the moment is 'no'," said Refco broker Nauman Barakat."

Muaddib---We seem to already have the effects in California as it declares its first gasoline emergency in 15 years.-----

Bloomberg: California declares first gasoline emergency in 15 years
"Summer Demand

Valero Energy Corp. Chief Executive Bill Greehey last Wednesday said U.S. refiners probably can't build sufficient fuel inventories to prevent shortages during the summer driving season. San Antonio-based Valero is the third-largest U.S. refiner, behind ConocoPhillips and Exxon Mobil Corp.
Nationwide, gasoline inventories of 200 million barrels are 2.7 percent below a year ago, Energy Department figures showed.

Refiners normally add 12.2 million barrels to summer reserves between mid March and June 14, when inventories peak, based on the 10-year average, according to the government. Reserves would need to rise 2.14 million barrels weekly to reach 215 million by mid June. "

Related News

Oil services shares fall

[Edited on 5-5-2004 by Muaddib]

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 08:51 PM
link   
You know, I just don't get it. Didn't the US just conquer Iraq and comandeer its vast oil reserves? You would think as the supply would go up, the prices would go down... right?

methinks this is typical economic manipulation. yet another reason to ditch the fossil-fuel.

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 08:53 PM
link   
didn't OPEC's President say just the other day that they were overproducing by 1.5 million barrels a day? doesn't that mean the price should go down?

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib
Muaddib---We seem to already have the effects in California as it declares its first gasoline emergency in 15 years.-----

Bloomberg: California declares first gasoline emergency in 15 years
"Summer Demand

oh and I like this part. They got rid of former Gov Davis because of the energy concerns, but yet, Ahnold can't seem to "terminate" (yeah... silly and old pun... I know) the same problem. Coincidence?

(in high-pitched, whiny voice)
I
dont
think
so

I'm definitely thinking this is an extension some kind of econometric manipulation spearheaded by those cunning Rockefellers.
By the way, guess who was VP during the proclaimed gas crisis of the mid-70's? Yep! Good ol' Rockefeller

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bobbo
didn't OPEC's President say just the other day that they were overproducing by 1.5 million barrels a day? doesn't that mean the price should go down?

Normally, yes, but this is OPEC we're talking about. their word isn't worth jack.

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlnilamOmega
You know, I just don't get it. Didn't the US just conquer Iraq and comandeer its vast oil reserves? You would think as the supply would go up, the prices would go down... right?

There was a guy on O'Reilly that said the wells in Iraq were already being overpumped. He said it would take about $20 billion to bring the production of those fields up.
They need to drill new holes and do other work on those fields.

[Edited on 5-5-2004 by AceOfBase]

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 09:07 PM
link   
To all those thinking its Iraq for oil or OPEC causing this problem - Think again the answer was in the post that started this thread, we have not built a new refinery in the U.S. in over twenty years due to regulation and enviromental group sponsored laws. OPEC could flood the market and it would not make much difference. Its not a lack of raw crude, its the shortage of the finished products from the refinerys.

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phoenix
To all those thinking its Iraq for oil or OPEC causing this problem - Think again the answer was in the post that started this thread, we have not built a new refinery in the U.S. in over twenty years due to regulation and enviromental group sponsored laws. OPEC could flood the market and it would not make much difference. Its not a lack of raw crude, its the shortage of the finished products from the refinerys.

There is a misconception noted here, not only in this post but also in others in the thread, that oil is merely "manufactured." (Oh, if only we had more refineries.) Unfortunately the problem is that demand is now outstripping supply of the "raw material" - petroleum. For decades, modeling of reserves versus extraction successfully predicted peak production curves. Hence, the life-time of viable oil resources is predictable. The first model to accurately predict maximum production was made by geologist King Hubbart in 1956, fifteen years prior to the US peak. Such modeling, now improved, is indicative of an imminent peak in global petroleum extraction. But because worldwide demand is ever-increasing for an ever-dwindling supply, the cost will do only one thing.

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 11:50 PM
link   
More information can be found here.

posted on May, 5 2004 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aeon10101110
Unfortunately the problem is that demand is now outstripping supply of the "raw material" - petroleum. For decades, modeling of reserves versus extraction successfully predicted peak production curves. Hence, the life-time of viable oil resources is predictable.

True. Very true. And I know how cynical this sounds to some people but I just cannot wait for all the damned oil to run out. Sometimes, the only way to break a vice is to deprive the user of the substance that vice is based on. Fossil-fuel technology is over a century-old. It shouldnt exist at the level it does today and should give way to more efficient means of energy consumption.

top topics

join