It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Getting Fired

page: 1

join
share:
MMP

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Please note that the following is something I came up with because of frustration and anger. It may not make sense or seem logical at all. I'm not going to give away too many identifying details either, so don't ask.

I had never been let go from a job until this year (2009) and it hasn't been just one job this year I have been let go from two different jobs. The first was because of a strange twist of fate and is a very long story that I won't go into. Here is the short version I started at this company shortly after I turned 20 and after 4 years of hard work and getting where I wanted to be I was let go shortly after I turned 24 because a piece of junk manager took over. While I was devastated and hurt by the decision to terminate my position I knew there were other options out there and felt confident I wouldn't be with out a job for very long. Sure enough in 3 weeks I had another job making what I wanted and was excited about my future...excited until I realized my new manager was a bigger douche nozzle than the last.

This guy has the temper of a 2 year old and has "only child syndrome" in every sense. In the short time I was worked for this second company I was considered "weird" in the eyes of my new manager because I didn't have any desire to play WoW nor did I follow sports. As with the first place I worked, all of my other co-workers were great and I got along with them very well. On Friday this guy pulls me off to the side and says, "This just isn't working out. I haven't seen any improvement in you." Baffled I asked for clarification and was cited a passing conversation that took place between the manager and myself about a month ago. It was supposed to be my "warning" even though the tone of the conversation was very nonchalant and it lasted all of 40 seconds. The conversation got even stranger. I was told that the people "above" my manager were on board. After speaking with those 3 people only 1 was even remotely aware of what was going on who happens to be my manager's boss. The information he was given and the information I was given do not match up. Thankfully, I have known my manager's boss for a couple years and he is a friend. He assured me he would get to the bottom of it by the end of the week. I doubt I get my job back but it still pisses me off that this has happened to me twice.

How these two dildos that fired me this year ever got into management I will never know. It's unfortunate that my paths ever crossed with these two lousy excuses for human beings. I know tons of people lose their job every day for worse reasons than managers just not liking them and my situation isn't unique. Some may say, "Oh you can get unemployment." but that's not the point. I tried that last time I got fired and it didn't work. I still haven't figured out what I did wrong in the application process, but I am getting off topic. I am a hard worker and feel let down. In my opinion I shouldn't have lost either job. I am beginning to regret ever going into my field. It seems that arrogant, self centered, know it all managers are at the core of this industry.

Which brings me to my brilliant idea. I think that when ever you start any job you should always be given a 90 day probation period. If you make it past the 90th day and the employer decides for whatever reason to terminate you they must help you find a new job and maybe even pay you a percentage of your wages. The job must be similar to your old one and have about the same pay. If you don't make it past the 90th day at your new job then your old employer still must help you two more times if needed. If you're still reading and your a small business owner I bet you're outraged. Relax this is just a rant. I know it would hurt job creation, cause more outsourcing and all good jive but what about protecting existing jobs? If you live in a state where you can be fired for any reason at any time, you know how I feel.

I am not as optimistic as I was the first time I got fired. There are jobs still out there but for at least a little while I am looking at a long commute until I can relocate. The problem is I don't want to relocate because I like the community I live in and I would rather not take a minimum wage job...not yet anyway. I'm not one of those people that feels above a minimum wage job - money is money and I will never take it off the table. Especially since I don't have any family to lean on. I would just really rather not take a low paying job if I have a choice. I am a smart guy, I went to college, I get along with people, I work hard...so what am I doing that's not good enough? I know there are plenty of dumb a-holes out there who don't work hard that keep their jobs. I have met them! What gives? Anyway, this is way longer than I thought it was going to be. Thanks for reading and any comments.

[edit on 6/30/2009 by MMP]

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I understand what it's like to get fired. I was on a good streak until a year ago when I finally got fired from a job. I kept showing up late, so I had it coming. Unfortunately, you just get a boss like that every once in a while. It really sucks. I once had a boss that tried everything she could to fire me because her boss liked me and would talk to me even before she talk to my manager. I would get written up for not working hard enough, even though everyone acknowledge that was B.S. She would have been do things like make sure there is no gum on the floor, go fix the toliet, go wipe that spot on the window (there was no spot) stuff like that.

Fact was, she hated men in general and just hired a couple to unload the weekly shipments. I personally have never let a boss know that he could harrass me. When you get written up, never ever sign anything and unless your are being insubodinate, they cannot legally fire you. You have to have I think 3 write ups before they could terminate your employment. It might be different for every state, but I'm pretty sure this is a federal law. But anyway, just keep your head up high and you'll find a better job. Good luck!

MMP

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Thanks for the kind words, Darth Lumina! I will be following up on the situation tomorrow afternoon with my manager's boss.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Getting fired is a part of life.

I've been fired twice - Once from the Waffle House and once from a Pub.

You don't play WoW? You are weird!

On a serious note, just try and stay posotive - I know how it feels to be told basically "you're not good enough".

Keep your chin up!

Did I mention you're weird for not playing WoW?

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Here are a few things I have learned in my experiences working (and getting fired/laid off):

I think it is a misconception that one must have three write-ups before being fired. Unless it is a contract (or union shop), a person can get fired without any write-ups.

Great advice on not signing anything bad. They will try to push it that you are only recognizing you received the write-up, but do not sign the document anyway.

When filing for unemployment, always state you were laid off. If your were fired for misconduct, then the benefits can be denied. Being let go because "it is not working out" counts as being laid off. Never say you were fired when filing for benefits.

There are some bosses who are great, and others who are terrible. Never blame them when looking for work. It will make the potential hiree think you are a problem worker who cannot get along with supervision. (You can say "different direction" or "creative differences" but do not place any blame on others.)

I made it a point to try to figure out what I did not get hired and sometimes would ask the person who did the interviews. The above items are some of the reasons why I did not get the job.

Good luck in your finding of employment, or better yet try and start your own business.

MMP

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by kidflash2008
It will make the potential hiree think you are a problem worker who cannot get along with supervision. (You can say "different direction" or "creative differences" but do not place any blame on others.)

I always like to say that my supervisor and I both agreed that I had grown past the position or some other excuse making it seem like the decision benefits the company and myself. I never let a potential employer know about ANY differences I have with a previous employer.

Originally posted by kidflash2008
Good luck in your finding of employment, or better yet try and start your own business.

At my last employer I had to sign a non-compete agreement. I have to wait at least 1 year before I consider this option and two years before I can do business with anyone that is "prospective client" which basically means anyone they have contacted to offer services. I would love to try and open my own business.

Updates:
I spent about two hours applying a job posting I saw online. I called the HR person who looked over my resume and gave me a phone interview. It turns out the position listed was not the position available. Needless to say I was pretty angry.

I still haven't heard from former manager's boss.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   
MMP I think I have found your boss....

MMP

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Micro-mangers perfectly describe the last two, whatukno!

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Hi,

Okay, I never got along with management well. They were micro manager's, and jerks. If you didn't fit into their box, then you weren't that good. Kinda like everyone here has said.

However, in my particular line of work, I was unusually highly skilled; which meant huge profits for the jerks.

In turn I was an even bigger jerk to them, because I knew $$$$ was their god. I could get away with it as long as I out produced everyone......... I understand many industries aren't about production; so in some instances your stuck with boot licker's, and the jerks wearing them..

Here's a quick run down on how to assuredly get unemployment benefits in the states.

You can NEVER use the company you quit from, fired from, or were laid off from.

First for quitting your not eligible.

second getting fired your not eligible.

The only reason anyone is eligible is for a reduction in force, or laid off because of no work.

ALL companies are wise to this, and they are stuck with paying the benefits.

So when an unemployment agent sends them the paper work to fill out; so that you can recieve your benefits, the company words the paper work as though said employee is the scurge of the Earth.........WORTHLESS.

This is the reason for denials. No buts, the REASON.

What you do is any odd job. Change a tire for a friend, grease a door in a house for a friend, etc........... Doesn't matter what it is. As long as it took your time, and labor in exchange for money.

Even if it was 15 minutes, and 10bucks.

You tell the unemployment agency who, where, and when you did this. They in turn send out the paperwork to that person...................YOU DON'T SAY THEY'RE MY FRIEND...der der der der..... Just someone you did work for, nothing more. Could be your next door neighbor.

In that way they fill out the paperwork with complete green lights.......they say simply they had no more work.

The unemployment then is DONE with that person. The unemployment will be Green lighted. It will be charged back to your last full time employer.

The people that laid you off in the first place will have to pay. Your friend/neighbor is out NOTHING, but time helping you.

You don't want to make the amount very big...just 10 to 20 bucks as it is taken out of your first check.

This is the pattern you want to follow. If you were rejected once, then you may still have the ability to file; sometimes they require you put in a full weeks work somewhere after the first rejection, but you'll get your unemployment from the first set of jerks that laid you off.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Have you given any thought that you might have looked like a threat to the managers in that you were able to take their jobs.

It would not be the first time a manager has fired a coworker out of fear for his job.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 05:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by sanchoearlyjones

So when an unemployment agent sends them the paper work to fill out; so that you can recieve your benefits, the company words the paper work as though said employee is the scurge of the Earth.........WORTHLESS.

I believe you are wrong here. The laws have changed. As long as you do not say you were fired, you will still get benefits. Why? Because companies can no longer give a reason for termination. If they do, you have a lawsuit on your hands. Companies are only allowed to give the hire date and the discharge date, and are no longer permitted to give a reason, so even if you are fired, all you need to do is say you were laid off. The company cannot dispute it. It's your word against theirs. This has to do with hipaa laws.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 03:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

I will not argue with You; however, I wore both 'hats' the blue one labeled=screw turner aka employee. I also wore the white hat labeled=how to get around paying, and scr**ing over employees...aka owner.

I was never one to assault any employee; in fact I always went out of my way, but I learned the practices through business associations.

Take my advise, or leave it, but I'm sure of what I'm talking about. It was accurate up until at least 3 years ago.

posted on Aug, 19 2009 @ 09:01 AM
link   
I was fired for a less than defined reason, so I got my benefits. All I had to do was apply, and when the company didn't give a good enough reason to appeal, I started getting checks.

I live in PA though, the state where you can literally get fired for anything as long as it doesn't have to do with equal opportunity laws.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Hey MMP.........

What eventually happened then? Did you get anywhere with the boss's boss?

I'm curious now!

top topics

join