It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scots 'want an independence vote'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 04:43 AM
link   

Scots 'want an independence vote'

news.bbc.co.uk

An opinion poll commissioned by BBC Scotland has shown a clear majority (58%) of Scots want a referendum on independence next year.

The poll also suggests support for the Union outstrips that for independence from the UK.

However, the poll found the percentage of people saying they support independence varies widely depending on how the question is phrased.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Conclusion? People are idiots, no matter what nationality they are. Independance? The PM is a Scot, for crying out loud!

Scottish people don't want independance, I'm sure. I'm certain that they want to continue receiving free healthcare and education, funded by the English taxpayer. If I were them, I'd certainly think it foolish to give all that up.

However, with all the "William Wallace" talk these days, perhaps it is England that should consider seceding from the United Kingdom...

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 30-6-2009 by The Last Man on Earth]

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 05:01 AM
link   
reply to post by The Last Man on Earth

I can see this thread turning into a Scotland hate england thread, or a England hates scotland thread.

The BBC changes the texting on this report, before it said a majority wanted to stay with devolution, within the UK. Now it is saying that all scots, although th amount of people they interviewed, is pittfull, want independance. They only intrviewed over 1000 people, how does that give an opinion that the whole of scotland wants independance?

Free health care and education paid for by the english taxpayer? So I guess no one who works in scotland has ever paid tax no?

Good perhaps we should just split up the whole uk! We will go our little merry way and you cango yours, which is fine with me!

You see how biased the bbc is now!!!

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 05:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Laurauk

No, but I do know that Scotland cannot afford free healthcare or education on its own, and these are two things the English do not get. Is that fair to you? Do you think you'll be able to maintain your current standard of living if you were to leave the UK?

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 05:07 AM
link   

I do not get free health care I pay for it, privately, so you wrong in assuming I do. Nr do I get free presciptions, I pay for them also.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 05:07 AM
link   
eh...lazy scots not revolutionin'

in all seriousness, i have no REAL idea about all the issues behind this, but i would think that it would be a disaster for Scotland to leave.

wouldnt scotland be left without a military or central government? (sorry if thats inaccurate, i dont know much about scotland)

are there any scots here who is for separating?

can anyone enlighten me a bit?

[edit on 30-6-2009 by ELECTRICkoolaidZOMBIEtest]

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 05:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Last Man on Earth

I'm certain that they want to continue receiving free healthcare and education, funded by the English taxpayer. If I were them, I'd certainly think it foolish to give all that up.

Excuse me? Funded by the English? No way in hell mate. Get your facts straight. If you research a bit you'll find we Scottish are funding England. 80 % of the Oil that is produced in Scotland is sent to England. So who is funding who?

And another thing. Gordon Brown may have been born in Scotland, but his heart and soul is in England. And of course he's another member of the New World Order..........That would be a great plan for independence. Get away from the Facists that are called the Bilderberg Group aka The New World Order!!

[edit on 30/6/2009 by stevcolx]

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Of course there should be more devolution...especially for England!

However total disolution of The Union would be disastrous for all of us.

I personally would like to see a more Federal UK with England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland running their own countries akin to the States in the USA and Australia but having a common foreign policy etc.

We need to recognise our regional differences and requirements whilst also recognising and celebrating the common bonds that unite us.

For fear of repeating myself, total disolution would not be beneficial for any of us.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 05:13 AM
link   
reply to post by ELECTRICkoolaidZOMBIEtest

According to the report from the BBC, which to me has been changed to meet thier own biased needs and to create, tensions between the scottish and the english.

They are trying tosay just because they interviewed just over 1000 people in scotland, that this contitutes the whole off the opinion in Scotland, 1000 people out off Just over 5 million?

Come on you have see the humour off that report!

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 05:14 AM
link   
Great Britain is small enough, why go breaking it up. its not like our cultures are any different ,although our accents differ. all this breeds is jingoistic nationalist ideologies that will only cause problems in the long run. I can understand scots dont want to be associated with the labour government, but we are all in this together. IMO

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 05:18 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

You know what is hilarious, the same report I read earlier yesterday evening stated, that 58% of Scots wanted to stay inside the UK. Now the bbc changed it. Come on Isnt the BBC trying to create tensions between the scots and the english.

Ops wait, my error oks it was 1010 people questioned out of over 5 - 6 million people whom livein Scotland, Oh that constitutes the whole of the opinion in Scotland

[edit on 30-6-2009 by Laurauk]

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 05:19 AM
link   
I would be happy to end the union if only to see those nasty nuclear submarines down south and out of those beautiful sea lochs.

Perhaps then with the money saved by not recomissioning the Trident missiles England too could get a freer health care system for poorer people.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 05:21 AM
link   
Breaking up the UK would be the biggest mistake ever. Together we made the biggest empire ever!, together we have produced some of the greatest minds in history and led the world to the place it is today. Without the British the world would be a very different and very backward place. United we stand, alone we fall.)ust remember, Britain Prevails!!!

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 05:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by stevcolx
Excuse me? Funded by the English? No way in hell mate. Get your facts straight. If you research a bit you'll find we Scottish are funding England. 80 % of the Oil that is produced in Scotland is sent to England. So who is funding who?

No, I won't excuse you because you don't know what you're on about. 1. Scotland owns nothing, the UK does. 2. there is no way in hell the tax from 6 million Scots is providing free education and healthcare to 50 million English, it is, infact the other way around, and 3. read this because in 11 years time, you won't even have any oil left.

Originally posted by Laurauk
I do not get free health care I pay for it, privately, so you wrong in assuming I do. Nr do I get free presciptions, I pay for them also.

Where is the facepalm emoticon? I wasn't talking about you, fool, I was talking about Scotland, and even if you don't claim it it is available to you, so waste your money as you like.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 05:22 AM
link   
reply to post by ivycutler

Well they would save over 20 Billion pounds if the Nuclear subs were down in england and not in scotland. I would prefer the trident missile programme is scrapped all together.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 05:25 AM
link   

Hello alot of scots also pay for thier own healthcare privately, so your assumption all scots recieve free health care is wrong.

As for the oil issue, and the scots who pay the same tax rate as you do that should cover it should it not. Or are you going to claim the oil revenues are not Scottish? Nevermind you already did. If you think scotland wouldnot have a right to claim those oil fields then you are sadly mistaken.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 05:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Laurauk

Laura, the BBC are increasingly becoming the mouthpiece of TPTB, (or maybe they always have been) and seem to twist and manipulate everything to suit.

As for the accuracy of the poll, any statistician would be able to take a random poll of 1010 people and extrapolate the accuracy for a population of 15million, ( I used to know the equation off the top of my head but tis a while since I used it and I am getting older), but I assure you it would be negligible and probably around 2% accuracy and certainty.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 05:33 AM
link   
I would like to quote something fromthe article, which to me is contradicting itself

""At 37%, those saying they backed independence has never been lower, while at 54% the proportion saying they are against has never been higher. "

So there you have it, How can the bbc say Scots want independance when from thier own report it says the numbers backing independance has never been lower. Comeon people cant you see what they are trying to d LOL. I suppose it is called spin

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Laurauk

Hello alot of scots also pay for thier own healthcare privately, so your assumption all scots recieve free health care is wrong.

As for the oil issue, and the scots who pay the same tax rate as you do that should cover it should it not. Or are you going to claim the oil revenues are not Scottish? Nevermind you already did. If you think scotland wouldnot have a right to claim those oil fields then you are sadly mistaken.

I think you misunderstand the situation.

Scotland, at present, is not a sovereign entity. I can't own anything. Anything you think it owns, is owned by the UK. Do you understand?

The oil is due to dry up/become economically unviable by 2020 anyway, so its not really a long-term solution. Either way, Scotland loses from independance. Do you understand?

I'm sure a lot of Scots do pay for private healthcare, but the budget given to Scotland to cover healthcare is still sufficient to cover it's entire population. Whether it is claimed or not, it is still there, do you understand? I don't care what you do with it, once it leaves the treasury it is gone. If you claim it or not, the option is still available, DO YOU UNDERSTAND?

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 05:40 AM
link   

I think you'll find that LauraUK does not advocate total independance, she is merely pointing out that there is an alrming amount of spin, from both sides, when discussing disolution, oil revenues, health care etc.

Get off your high horse and read what people actually say, not what you think or wish they have said to enable you to have a heated debate.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join