It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Show off your survival garden! (PICS)

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   
@Disclosure Agent

Haha! you might have to take a boat to get to my garden, or a plane (if they still work) when the SHTF! I'll keep my eyes peeled though.

@Kyred

Yea! There has been so much rain this spring & summer so far. It's apparently because there's a huge cold air mass over Labrador which is deflecting all the hotter air south. Pretty strange, but I'm not gonna complain because my plants are doing great. The Camellia Sinensis (Tea plant) especially loves the cooler weather with rain.

Yea I think it's fantastic you're getting kids involved and showing them what real food looks like! I think more people should start their own gardens, even if it's only a few plants, it's a start!

@Jim Scott

Wow, that is awesome. I think I'll need to make a few more beds to plant the rest of my seedlings. I'll use the PVC irrigation you were talking about, because these rubber hoses aren't the greatest, they drip more than they spray (pain in the butt for on the triangle trellis I have).

Where did you buy that covering from, just a local hardware store?

I've also had a problem with weeds, going to start putting mulch down soon to keep them at bay. Was also thinking about putting a liner in, and then putting in mulch. We'll see though, as most of the plants are doing great as it is, and the weeds have just started to come up.

@crgintx

lol.... I don't think the government is going to come around and arrest people for having home gardens. They can't even manage a budget let alone try and regulate the hundreds of millions of home gardens in the U.S.

I'll take my chances!

@Chise61

Oh man I've gotta agree with you there. Homegrown tomatoes are just plain amazing! There are so many tasty varieties to choose from too, but not enough space to plant them! By the way, I have a bunch of extra tomato seeds if you want to try them. It might take a while to grow, but you could have tomatoes for late fall if you wanted to.

Yea I've had the same problem with the cucumbers. It's a combination of the cool weather and the meager amount of sunlight we've been getting here lately. Also, watch out for those darn striped cucumber beetles. They devour cucumbers like it's their job (probably because it is! :lol
. They are eating my squash and cucumber plants right now and I'm desperately trying to control them.

Great choice of herbs! Yea I've had great success growing those in pots before. Nothing's better than cooking with fresh herbs like Basil and Parsley! Coupled with fresh veggies it's just plain awesome.

Yea get those pics up when you can.

@lighter78

Yea I know it's not the biggest garden ever, but it will supplement purchased (and already stored food) quite well. I'm planning on building a few more garden beds as well. We also have wild grapes, blueberries, blackberries, and strawberries growing in the a back of our house under two giant pine trees. There's a ton of wild food in the woods/wetland area around my house.

I am going to expand though, as I know it should be much bigger (for a true survival garden).

@Edrick

Yea my thoughts exactly! How's the failing useless corrupt government going to go around and regulate home gardens. It's a long shot, and even if they tried it would probably start a massive protest.

@The_Smokeing_Gun

Yea I was thinking about that. I wanted to make a rain catch system with a storage barrel for watering the garden. I also wanted to build a little mini-greenhouse over the top of the garden to extend my 5 month growing season.

I'll look up plans on the net to see what I can find!

[edit on 30-6-2009 by JipStix]

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 01:02 PM
link   
where's the cannabis plant?

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Zeroh

lol! If it were legal I'd grow it. I don't smoke, but I love trying to grow new stuff. Gotta wait till they change the laws on that one!

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Wow, your post is bigger than your garden!

I keed I keed...

It looks lovely. What is your plan to deal with the bunnies though? They will be able to eat that in a week!

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   
One of the most useful, purposeful threads I've seen on here in a while.

Star and flag for you my friend.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   
One of the most useful, purposeful threads I've seen on here in a while.

Star and flag for you my friend.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by JipStix

Nice start JipStix, something to try if you are getting a bit short of space is a "Build as you grow" potato bin.

Linky

we have a couple of these in the garden this year, you could also do the same in an old water butt, or similar, we have done that as well.
They take up about a square metre and basically, once the potato plants are growing, you keep piling earth on top, leaving a bit of plant showing, as apparently, the potatoes grow inbetween the seed potato and the level of the earth, ergo, keep adding earth at the right time = more potatoes.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Nice Garden!

We don't have that much room for a garden. We have some nice heirloom and purple haze tomatoes growing in the back yard.

I have indoor growing experience (cough), I guess I could gather all of the fluorescent lights and turn the garage into a grow room in a SHTF situation. Would be easy to guard and control. It will probably be hard to get fuel to run a generator though.

Would be better off turning the whole backyard into a garden and protecting it.
I need to start collecting seeds!

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Great Garden!!! It looks really amazing & inspiring.
I just told my Dad yesterday I want to start a garden ASAP. We even have the room to grow a good amount, but I honestly wouldnt know where to start. We also live in Texas, so I fear the Sun would kill off everything.

The only thing I could think might work here is a Green-house, but arent those expensive? Does anyone have any suggestions if possible to create my own GH?

Also, how much maintenance does this take to keep up with on a daily basis??
Thanks

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Our garden is spread out over several areas around the house... according to sunlight availability. (We are surrounded on two sides by woods/forest.)

Mostly tomatoes, cukes, green and pole beans, zucchinis and squash. We have a few pots with herbs and some with strawberry (Spring) and several variety of peppers. We've also ventured into mushrooms.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by JipStix

You have a fantastic starter for a survival garden! You can also build a greenhouse to be able to plant/grow tropical fruits and veggies. I would like to see you come over to my website SurvivalTime.org where not only do I have TONS of urban survival gear, water purification/storage, but also SEED Banks, tips and disaster preparedness manuals.

I've always found (even from an early age) absolutely NOTHING beats home grown veggies, they look good, taste GREAT and have better nutritional value that the 'stuff' you buy at the store.

One of the posters is right though... if the SHTF better make sure you can protect your food against those who would rather steal from others than do the work themselves.

Also be mindful of how you will protect your garden against chemical, biological, nuclear attack, since any one of those can ruin your whole food supply.

Great Job though...very well thought out!!

Survival Seed Bank

Survival Seed Bank

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
What a fantastic garden! I'm inspired! I wanted to do a garden again this year but I didnt, as I'm moving out of the city, more than halfway across the US to an undisclosed, country-fied part of the US.
(Somewhere in Oklahoma, to be more exact). So I never started my garden here in Bakersfield, CA. Our dirt here is hard-pack and nearly impossible to break through in the spriing and summer. I'm really looking forward to Oklahoma and getting into some dirt that doesn't take an electric tiller to break the ground up.

In the past I've done alot of herb gardening, culinary and medicinal. I noticed with safe that mine didn't do well the first year, but I have some now that has been in the ground for several years and is thriving. That first year was touch and go with it though. And you'll love the bay leaves. They are awesome in any soup or stew. Bay leaves compliment red meat. You'll enjoy them. Have fun and good luck!

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Thanks for the reply, everything you are growing is very delicious, bought a few of those upside down tomato growers as well to save alot of space! good luck with your future endeavors!

[edit on 30-6-2009 by lighter78]

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Good work
... now I'm hungry!

I love roasted squash with some black pepper and rosemary! ... but having fresh tomatoes and basil to hand is just awesome!

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by breakingdradles

I was just about to say the same thing.
What humans are like is discrasefull, they laff at people preparing and when the shtf, they kill you for what you have done for your self and your family.....

Cain and Abalel ..

your sig is like an decapitated Mel...

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Such a serious reaction! Oh my, I must have struck a nerve!

As ATS members, I'm shocked that you haven't heard about the Food Safety Modernization Act of 2009:

www.govtrack.us...

Or S=787

www.prisonplanet.com...

I got my evil Communists Senator from the People's Republic of Kalifornia wrong: It was Boxer who wants to steal every drop of water that falls west of the Great Divide!

My apologies.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 01:38 AM
link   
I wish I knew how to post photos. I would show my garden, I have worked hard on it. I even started growing tobacco this year.
Just took photos the other day.

[edit on 1-7-2009 by saralee]

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by saralee

Hey Sara. What you can do is go to 'My Pictures,' which is accessed under the 'member tools' area, and there you can upload your pictures. Once you're done uploading you can right click on the pictures (full size in your 'my pictures area') and click 'copy link location.'

Then you switch over to the reply you're trying to post and type:

[+img]yourpicturelinkhere[+/img]

Remove the '+' and you have the code you need. I just didn't use direct code because the forum would try to interpret it
!

This will show an image directly into a post. Let me know if you need any more help, u2u or reply will work!

Also, I'm working on responses for people who have replied, don't think I forgot you!

[edit on 1-7-2009 by JipStix]

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Here are some pictures of our garden in the Mile high Rockies.

These photos were taken last winter. It looks entirely different now.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Well crappity! I hope it looks better now cuz that all looks.....well.....DEAD! j/k.
I will be posting my pics over the holiday. Finally got most everything moved into the ground for summer as we were blessed for 2 whole days without rain....didn't last long. The lake I live on is about to spill over. I don't think this dinky town would even have provisions for such an occurrence!

I saw someone posted that they got the infomercial "topsy turvy"! I'm very curious as to if it works well! I wanted one but no where to hang it where it would get sun

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join