It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Cove

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skelkie3
reply to post by Avarus

Would you use force to defend them ? Like the African anti-poacher cops ?

That's an excellent, and difficult question. Let me first say that I'm a very mild mannered person with a great amount of patience. It takes a lot to get me worked up, but when you do... people better get outta my way because I'm only seeing red...

As I watched the trailer for Cove, I could honestly say that I wouldn't be able to restrain myself from climbing on that boat and punching that guy in the face for prodding me with an oar. Certainly not murder, but definitely some violence.

I don't really have a stance on anti-poaching. They might be hunting endangered animals, but they aren't slaughtering thousands of trapped, screaming animals at once. I'm sure the circumstances would be different if it were my land/country though.

great question, I'll have to do some more research on anti-poaching.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Avarus

Let's also be mindful of the vastly different socioeconomic dynamics which drive poaching and dolphin hunting.

No excuse for poaching, but there is a difference between starving people in 3rd world countries at the brink of starvation trying to feed themselves and their families and relatively well to do fishermen that don't like the dolphins eating a small part of their profits.

And yet we shoot the former and protect the later.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
[snip] and apparently it makes some hungry for dolphin.

That's just great.

Unreal. I cant imagine people wanting to eat an aware being like a Dolphin.

I didn't even watch any of the videos because I knew it would make me upset.

I hope mankind becomes enlightened before Gia decides she is tired of us and shakes us off.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

If these people are actually killing these animals in the belief that they are eliminating competition... then they're idiots in a state of denial. Their ( the fisherman's ) continued livelihood is in danger if they're that dumb.

An example that is from my own experience:
I lived on the water in Puget Sound ( Seattle area ) at a time when local fisherman and ( inexplicably ) others were in an uproar about the damage being done by sea lions to the salmon fishery. Passions ran high, and while
I'm not easily moved by the ( admitted ) horrors of meat eating- I was completely on the side of the sea lions which often accompanied me when I canoed from my porch/dock.
Poeple ( whom I imagine had no connection to the sea or fishing whatever ) actually shot some sea lions near my home.
I rode up on my bicycle to watch reporters and camerapersons interviewing people about the issue ( I declined , cowardly me ).
Anyway, the funny part was that when they wanted to get film of the miscreant sea lions eating salmon ( they hoped )... the view was completely blocked by a massive purse-seiner which was moving into the channel.
The irony of a ship with thousands of tons of fish aboard interupting an already silly argument was lost on no one.

[edit on 29-6-2009 by Skelkie3]

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Another degree of the monetary system corruption, if you all want to do something about it then may i suggest the real way of making change is to change the social structure we are in from a monetary 'self centered' system to one of equality and peace 'a resource based economy' the venus project seem like a possible alternative....

Try whatever else you can but that will only be temporary fixing a symptom not the root cause, the root cause is the social structure we are in we need to change our social environment, you will see behaviours change for the better when this happens..

Oneness
Wiri

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 12:19 AM
link   
I guess two nukes wasn't enough after all.

I hate to come across as hateful or inhumane; however, they don't seem to have a problem with demonstrating that exact behavior in graphic fashion.

I will say this, after watching 3 or 4 different videos of dolphins forming protective circles around a human to prevent them from becoming shark food, it is certainly nice to see some humans trying to return the favor.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 12:24 AM
link   
I never cared for the Jap's much to beging with, what they did to the allied troops in WWII is enough to dislike the B######.
These animals mean nothing to them, just as our troops whom they tortured and experimented on meant nothing to them.

Then not to long ago, they had to gall to say they won the war WWII, it would have pleased me if there were nothing but water at that location now.

Their another one that thinks they are better than everyone else.

[edit on 30-6-2009 by googolplex]

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ridhya
Oh sigh... you people again...
First off, fishing is as old as Japan itself, and yes I agree too many are being fished, but Im sure all you people would still be crying if only 100 were killed each year!!
I also think the 'angry fishermen' must have been paid actors... because Japan is the strangest place on earth. When I went there I met hundreds of people, and not a single person was rude, or mean, and if you accidentally bumped into them they would apologise!

Please read my other explanation here...
Hayden (unpronouncable last name) was freaking ridiculous too... what a publicity mental breakdown...
Cuz seriously why doesnt she go cry about Darfur or Chechnya or Iraq?!! Oh right because she cant go surfing there

Dolphins are very intelligent creatures. They deserve better treatment and they deserve NOTHING but the BEST care. It's depraved and outright cruel what these fishermen are doing to these poor fellow earthlings.

We aren't able to do much about Iraq nor Chechnya, but we can only spread knowledge. Same with what we're doing with the mass dolphin slaughter that's happening on this planet. Knowledge is the most powerful weapon out there.

Have compassion. Thanks.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by googolplex

... it would have pleased me if there were nothing but water at that location now.

Hem ...

What are you talking about?

Listen folks, no one needs for the Japanese or humanity to be wiped out to solve a serious but not that complicated a problem.

It's one town that is doing this.

For god's sake, if we can't stop this horrible but relatively limited action what hope is there that we can solve any of the myriad of problems that plague our planet.

Just make it illegal and enforce it rigorously.

End of story ... sheesh.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Hey, I'm talking about when they Nuke them to begin with, they should of finshed the job.

I'm not talking about now, heaven forbid, there our feinds now.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 02:32 AM
link   
I don't want to sound heartless, because i am not.

But if you are in any way opposed to the mass culling of dolphins, then you should never eat another hamburger or piece of steak in your life. Are you to tell me that cows cannot feel?

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 03:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by serbsta
I don't want to sound heartless, because i am not.

But if you are in any way opposed to the mass culling of dolphins, then you should never eat another hamburger or piece of steak in your life. Are you to tell me that cows cannot feel?

Yes humans are a parasite on the cow sucking up every little part, milk, meat, leather,bones, I don't know what they do with hair but must be something.
The main thing with those dolphins, is that they seem to be capable of thinking and will help a humans in distress, I have never heard of cow doing this.
But other than that I prefer my human well done, a stay away from sex organs and brain, just a quirk of mine.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 03:21 AM
link   
If there were reports of cows saving humans from bears, then people might feel differently. Of if people played with cows and realized that they were sharing an intelligent moment in this world, then that hamburger might not seem as tasty.

I understand your argument, we eat pretty much everything so why the hypocrisy? I don't think it is as hypocritcal as you suggest. It's more cultural I suppose.

Dogs are smart, some of them are cute, some are ugly, we don't eat the ugly ones. In some cultures they do. In some cultures they don't eat cows.

In our culture a lot of people make a distinction with dolphins and whales, that they don't feel as strongly about in Japan. Then there's China, where they eat pretty much everything that lives.

There's nothing wrong with trying to draw a line. And people should not be mocked for TRYING to do so. Is it such a step in the wrong direction?

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 04:34 AM
link   
Exactly. Its about culture. We slaughter the cow, while in India they worship it. If the Japanese want to eat whale and dolphin meat, which is a part of their culture, then whats to stop them and not us?

I understand your argument though, dolphins are wonderful creatures and it really does hurt to see this.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by serbsta

It sounds as though you may have missed quite a bit of the discussion. It happens. There's a variable here that was discussed -- that the primary goal for killing dolphins in THE Cove is not food ........ it's pest control. Analygous to spearing and slashing several hundred cows because they are eating grasses or grains that we want for ourselves, and THEN trying to sell some of the meat.

Rather than decrease our own population and needs, we take out the competitor for the same food. It was also mentioned that much or most of whale/dolphin meet around Japanese (and likely elsewhere) waters is contaminated with mercurial and other toxins.

And THAT's why, IMO, folks have gotten emotional and said things akin to "what human beings really need is a good predator".

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 06:26 AM
link   
reply to post by googolplex

I never cared for the Jap's much to beging with, what they did to the allied troops in WWII is enough to dislike the B######.
yep! sneaky little harbor bombers,natural born fascists. like i said
no loss to the gene pool of humanity there. we should have sank that
whole island. i wouldn't miss it.over the course of history, the thing they have proven to the rest of the universe time and time again. is how arrogant
and cruel they can be collectivly. they spout so much crap about honor
too. w/ thier shoguns and thier ninga's. what honor is there in this?
truly thier hipocracy is boundless.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 06:54 AM
link   
I know this topic and the material in the OP can induce highly emotional responses. So I would like to add mine.

When I see things like the OP's links I often find myself wondering how much longer it will be until we see people that will actively take arms up against other humans in an effort to begin a defence of the planet and its other inhabitants that are incapable of surviving or defending themselves against the kind of senseless destruction the OP highlites.

When I see these things, and I find myself wondering how much longer it will be until we see people actively take up arms against other humans in an effort to begin a defence of the Planet and its other inhabitants that are incapable of surviving or defending themselves against the kind of senseless destruction the OP highlites, I also find myself thinking that I will be one of these people willing to defend our planet.

I wonder how many others there are that feel this way after looking at the OP?
People that are now out there thinking enough is enough.

With groups like Greenpeace and PETA, just two goups for example, that are generating large financial resources, members and support and that are increasingly engaging in more dangerous and confrontational activism in their efforts to promote change. Will we see them eventually splinter or evolve into some kind of ecological fundamentalists, whose approach to changing our beliefs, attitudes and habits towards mother nature will move beyond publicity stunts, covert documentaries and protests and into assasinations, kidnappings and execution or armed violent attacks on those responsible for "crimes against the planet'?

The Cove would be one hell of a recruitment video for such hypothetical groups.

UNCLE PLANET NEEDS YOU!

I'm predicting it won't be too long until we see people help the earth fight back. Literally that is, fight.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Unfortunately we are dealing with a VERY cruel race.
My Grandfather fought the Japanese in the war and he told me of their inhumane treatment of prisioners for fun or sport.

They love to kill, every year they hunt whales in the Southern Artic waters and Australian waters under the guise of research. Green peace and the Australian Navy chase them around filiming evidence of their captures and brutality. I hadn’t been aware of their cruelty to Dolphins and thank you for posting the thread.

So what can we do to stop the Japanese barbaric ways ? about the only thing is to hit them in the hip pocket. DONT BUY JAPANESE

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 07:26 AM
link   

For god's sake, if we can't stop this horrible but relatively limited action what hope is there that we can solve any of the myriad of problems that plague our planet
and you started this thread that we might discuss the options,
pertaining to a solution to this senseless heathen barbarism.
i happen to love dolphins guy. my wife has dolphins all over the house.
crystal dolphins pictures whatever. i don't like japs .so for me "all options are on the table". dosn't include any americans either. that was a big mistake in ww11. if your born in america and steeped in our culture you are an american first. no matter the race. so you see i can't be called a racist either. i can't believe i just quoted bush. nasty taste.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by serbsta
If you are in any way opposed to the mass culling of dolphins, then you should never eat another hamburger or piece of steak in your life. Are you to tell me that cows cannot feel?

Well said. A star for you, my friend.

The quotidian bloodbath in the abattoirs of the Western world beggars comparison with any seal cull, dolphin hunt or this month's top massacre flavour, the (disturbing pix in link, please note) Faroe Islands pilot whale cull.

I'm not a vegetarian. I eat meat. I've never eaten dolphin. I wouldn't care to be a witness to what those Japanese fishermen do, far less a participant; but then, I wouldn't want to visit a slaughterhouse either. Frankly, I can barely watch a mouse being killed.

Killing, eating. In my opinion there are no absolute rights or wrongs in these matters. Each of us must draw the line where he sees fit. I disagree equally with those who see nothing wrong in this and with those who are outraged by it.

And to those unhappy folk who have turned against their own species: humans are not the scum of the earth. We are just another species of animal. Softhearted people like to believe that animals only kill for food, do not kill gratuitously, and eat all that they kill. None of this is true. Nor is it true that animals do not kill for pleasure. Predators whose food supply is assured, so that they need not waste energy hunting, frequently kill for no reason than to answer the urge to do so. This is true of cats, dogs and hawks to my certain knowledge; these are the most commonly domesticated predators. I do not think this is a coincidence.

How we cope, as a species, with our own need for meat and urge to kill may be the criterion on which we are judged at the Intergalactic Court of Sentient Justice one day. If it were me in the dock, the human race would get sent down for a couple of galactic years at least.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join